Criticizing In Islam

Criticizing Islam - Studies of Islam - Posted: 25th Jul, 2007 - 7:18pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Post Date: 22nd Jun, 2007 - 1:37am / Post ID: #

Criticizing In Islam

Criticizing In Islam

Is it possible to Criticize the Quran, Imam or the Prophet Mohommed without regret or are all three considered above critique?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 24th Jun, 2007 - 12:40am / Post ID: #

Criticizing In Islam
A Friend

Islam Criticizing

Yes most definitely possible and infact dialogue and discussion is even preferable. However insults and mocking deliberately is not tolerated.

24th Jun, 2007 - 12:52am / Post ID: #

Criticizing In Islam Islam Studies

Karbala, so a Muslim can criticize the Prophet Mohamed openly without any type of consequence or issues? This seems hard to believe.

Post Date: 24th Jun, 2007 - 1:58am / Post ID: #

Criticizing In Islam
A Friend

Islam Criticizing

Yes LDS_forever muslims are allowed to criticise or question Mohammads actions to raise discussion. They are not allowd to slander or insult. There is a difference.

I personally have many a time raised questions about Mohammads actions in mosques, seminars and discussion groups. However my questions were always genuine out of curiosity and not out of a deliberate attempt to malign or slander.

This rule does not just apply to Mohammad. It applies to Jesus, Mary, Abraham, Moses, Hagar, Asiyah (I'm not sure about the biblical name) etc etc.

24th Jul, 2007 - 8:50pm / Post ID: #

Islam Criticizing

Karbala,

Free speech in Islam depends on whether one is allied or against the one who will cut off your head. That means one routinely cannot speak freely and disagree with a point of view. Where is free speech in Afghanistan, Iraq, Saudi Arabia?
In more moderate places like Lebanon, and some North African countries, free speech is the norm BUT radical elements are slowly infringing upon the sociaties at hands. Even Turkiye, once a secular state, they also are turning militant despite their origin of tolerance!

Post Date: 24th Jul, 2007 - 9:05pm / Post ID: #

Criticizing In Islam
A Friend

Criticizing In Islam

Free speech in Islam depends on whether one is allied or against the one who will cut off your head.

That is a drastic statement not to mention completely false.

Where is free speech in Afghanistan, Iraq, Saudi Arabia?

Good point. Is the lack of free speech in Afghanistan Iraq and Saudi Arabia the muslims fault? Afghanistan and Iraq are occupied by western forces. There is no law and order there, the rule of guns and bombs prevail. The situations there are hardly to be blamed on muslims.

Saudi Arabia is an interesting phenomenon. It is governed by a dictatorship which promotes an extremist and intolerant brand of Islam called "Wahabbism". Interestingly the majority of the muslim world oppose this form of Islam especially Sufis, Shiites and other moderate sects Barelvis, Ismailis, Ikhwanis etc. (which probably make up more than 90% of the islamic world). Question is how does this hated regime keep running?

Answer is the support it recieves from particulary USA sources. This is well know and documented and written about extensively. To deny it is simply ignorance. So if you really want to blame the lack of free speech in certain places of the Islamic world blame it on the imperialists.

Yeniseri I dont think you know very much about the Islamic world. Be careful befoer you generalise about a whole religion.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
25th Jul, 2007 - 4:48am / Post ID: #

Criticizing Islam

I guess I have to ask the question again after giving definition....

criticize: find fault with; express criticism of; point out real or perceived flaws.

You are actually allowed to find fault with the Quran? You are allowed to point out flaws in the Quran? From what you have expressed before, saying the Quran is wrong is not a wise thing to do... I understand that you can ask questions in a inquistive way as a student, but to outright find fault with the Quran I don't think can be done. Like..."I don't understand why Mohammed did this...it just seems strange?" A religious leader would not take offense to this and would take time to teach you or explain his interpretations of Mohammed's actions. However...if you said "Mohammed was wrong...he shouldn't have done this" or "The Quran is wrong about [insert topic here}", I just don't think can be done. You might get by the first time you said it, but if you held on to the belief, you would have a problem.

Now the second part of the initial question said "without regret". That is a personal decision.

25th Jul, 2007 - 7:18pm / Post ID: #

Criticizing Islam Studies Islam

On the contrary Karbala, I am all too familiar with the Islamic world.
Muslims in Saudi Arabia dare not speak against the al Saud family but despite that and the knowledge that Wahabism has been around for a long while, Saudi Arabia is still a friend of the US.

Guess what? What origin were the 9/11 hijackers?
The medieval view of leadership (imams) in Islam is cause for concern and governments walk hand in hand (with imams) to secure influence.
The fact is that the many sects are not considered mainstream so they do not really count. What counts is that if you support the leadership or say nothing, everything is fine. If you are against the leadership, then the hammer starts to fall on you! I am not generalizing!

Are you aware of Pushtun enmity against Hzara or Tajik or Uzbek?
OR the mainstrean Suna or Shia playing out in Iraq or Kurd/Turk dislike for the other and it will get worse before it gets better!

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Criticizing In Islam

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,