Weighted Vest

Weighted Vest - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 9th Jul, 2007 - 1:40pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

1st Jul, 2007 - 7:40pm / Post ID: #

Weighted Vest

I never heard abut this before. Did you? It seems to me like it adds additional pressure to a child instead of helping him/her. What do you think?

The concept of the weighted vest is based on the SI therapy technique of deep pressure. Deep pressure is often used to assist the child to self-calm and relax so that sensory stimulus can be processed. The use of a weighted vest provides the child with unconscious information from the muscles and joints.

Children who are easily distracted, hyperactive and lacking in concentration respond positively to the additional weight a vest provides.

Although there is limited research in the area of weighted vest therapy, many therapists have found a weighted vest may also assist with reflex maturity, body position awareness and coordination, balance, eye/hand coordination, spatial perception and hearing and speaking skills. Because of these anecdotal outcomes, many therapists working with children are recommending the use of a weighted vest.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 2nd Jul, 2007 - 4:04pm / Post ID: #

Weighted Vest
A Friend

Vest Weighted

I am a public teacher in Arizona. My school has a very developed autistic program that attracts parents from across the metropolatin Phoenix area. They are known for trying new and innovative ideas first. FYI- I don't teach in the autistic program but in the dual language program.

I see some autistic students walking aroud campus with these weighted vest you mentioned. They also carry phone books while on errands. I would imagine these follow the same prinicple.

2nd Jul, 2007 - 5:51pm / Post ID: #

Weighted Vest Health & Special Psychology

QUOTE (Hyperwrx @ 2-Jul 07, 12:04 PM)
I see some autistic students walking aroud campus with these weighted vest you mentioned. They also carry phone books while on errands. I would imagine these follow the same prinicple.

Interesting. What age are we speaking about? Do they look visibly "uncomfortable" wearing these vests?

3rd Jul, 2007 - 4:47pm / Post ID: #

Vest Weighted

The concept sounds neat. The phone book being carried I seen before in my high school. The teacher claimed it gave the student a focal point which helped the boy to focus.

9th Jul, 2007 - 1:19am / Post ID: #

Vest Weighted

I found some online info on creating these vests from home made materials since it seems these can be quite expensive. I am wondering if such a 'contraption' would work with my son.

Post Date: 9th Jul, 2007 - 4:15am / Post ID: #

Weighted Vest
A Friend

Weighted Vest

Would depend on your sons condition. I also have a child with medical issues and am at my wits end with solutions. If a possible remedy was as easy as sewing a vest with some weights in it I'd defiantly give it a shot. What's do you got to lose? $15?

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: It is not necessary to quote the entire post of the user above you. See Constructive Posting Policy.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
9th Jul, 2007 - 4:19am / Post ID: #

Weighted Vest

I did not check the price really, but heard it was very expensive. The other thing that faces us is:

1. Placing this on our son without guidance from a professional and / or professional opinion as to whether it is in fact working / not working.

2. The humidity of the Caribbean. Keeping something like this on would seem like a torture device in our local weather.

9th Jul, 2007 - 1:40pm / Post ID: #

Weighted Vest Psychology Special & Health

Yes the heat wold be an issue to work around. But if you used a light material with pockets of sand distributed around on it perhaps....I am no seamstress but to me it is the even distribution of a gentle pressure you seek so perhaps a shirt with some weight through out it but also you could place some along the bottom edger of the shirt. Could you a very breathable fiber. I would try it out by using a couple of old t-shirts that are about ready to be out grown or are getting worn. Cost would really be time to grab a bucket of sand and a spool of thread.

The hard part would be trying to distribute the weight evenly and keeping enough space for the breeze to flow though between the sand pockets. Could even vent it like a motor cycle jacket.

> TOPIC: Weighted Vest

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,