Mennonites Leaving Quebec

Mennonites Leaving Quebec - General Religious Beliefs - Posted: 8th Sep, 2007 - 4:11pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Canada Quebec this week after the province deemed their community school illegal...
Post Date: 17th Aug, 2007 - 3:08pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

MENNONITES LEAVING QUEBEC AFTER GOVERNMENT DEMANDS CLOSURE OF SCHOOL

More than a dozen Mennonite families are leaving Quebec this week after the province deemed their community school illegal and ordered it to shut down.
Ref. https://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/20...ite-school.html

Sponsored Links:
17th Aug, 2007 - 3:55pm / Post ID: #

Quebec Leaving Mennonites

I think the shutting down of the School might be a bit extreme, but I do agree the material they teach should match the public schools in the areas of science math and English/French. Far as the teaching of the biblical creations vs Darwin I think that should be allowed. One we are all allowed our own religion as long as it poses no public safety concern. Two neither theory origin as of this date has been proven right or wrong.

The only real issue I can see is that they should have Teachers that are certified the same as any other school board must. If this is not met then theirs schools should only be allowed to teach as a religious facility and as a tutoring facility. I am sure they are getting the education that their lifestyle requires but if a child decided to go further in their education how would they be viewed by the local university or college facilities?

Post Date: 8th Sep, 2007 - 4:11pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Mennonites Leaving Quebec Beliefs Religious General

Krakyn wrote :

I think the shutting down of the School might be a bit extreme, but I do agree the material they teach should match the public schools in the areas of science math and English/French.

Match? Why? Or do you mean : of a similar level? Why not, then. And these Mennonites would agree with that, but the prescribed books would not necessarily be the same as in public schools (they would be more conservative-minded), but the command of language or science would be the same. Except for evolution of course, which is only a theory and has never made any one a better farmer, mechanic, accountant, computer programmer. No need to push a theory when it obviously shocks the beliefs of those people.

Far as the teaching of the biblical creations vs Darwin I think that should be allowed. One we are all allowed our own religion as long as it poses no public safety concern. Two neither theory origin as of this date has been proven right or wrong.

Exactly.

The only real issue I can see is that they should have Teachers that are certified the same as any other school board must.

Why? Do you know how dismal some primary (we are speaking about primary school children here) teachers are? Certified primary school teacher, that is. If you read French, read :

https://pouruneecolelibre.blogspot.com/2007...got-est-un.html

The biggest part of the curriculum for teachers in Quebec is "pedagogics", now I homeschool my children and we use a substitute teacher for the younger children, she is certified and all-- four years of University to train to read, write and count ! -- , and let me tell you she is not that bright (but we cannot hire easily any other one and pay her, I'm too busy and my wife is not French speaking). In fact, I bet you a bright Mennonite girl can do just as well with a modicum of training (a few weeks).

If this is not met then theirs schools should only be allowed to teach as a religious facility and as a tutoring facility.

I disagree. Freedom is important and the State should not have a monopoly in Education. We need the Separation of State and School!

I am sure they are getting the education that their lifestyle requires but if a child decided to go further in their education how would they be viewed by the local university or college facilities?

Very easy, just as a drop-out: they will pass an adult exam and be deemed, if successful, to have the appropriate high school qualification. They usually do quite well (no drugs, no alcohol, wholesome living, stable families, etc.). There are Mennonites girls of this conservative branch who become State registered nurses just like this.

Reconcile Edited: rigolo on 8th Sep, 2007 - 4:29pm

> TOPIC: Mennonites Leaving Quebec

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,