Russia Rises; China Cusps: A New Cold War?

Russia Rises China Cusps Cold War - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 29th Aug, 2007 - 11:10pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 22nd Aug, 2007 - 1:05pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Russia has taken increasingly controversial stances in the world including:

* claiming vast ports of the North Pole, which has significant oil/gas deposits
* record levels of exports of sophisticated arms/weapons to the Middle East
* removal of democratic elements from its prior government, returning to a more powerful President and a weak parliament
* disappearance of numerous Russian reporters critical of the new Russia
* government taking of private oil/gas projects in Russia

And China continues to grow, using record economic prosperity furthered by Western purchases to grow its military:

* 17.8% increase from last year in military spending]
* purchase of numerous sophisticated nuclear strategic submarines from Russia
* purchase of hundreds of Russia's best fighters/bombers to upgrade it's air force
* constructing missile bases aimed at Taiwan
* testing anti-satellite weapons effective at disabling U.S. spy satellites

And now, Russia and China recently completed joint training operations using their latest military technology in an effort to show their cooperation towards offsetting Western powers.

So do we have a new Cold War brewing, that the Western journalists have chosen to ignore? Is China and Russia intentionally sabotaging Western efforts to stabilize the Middle East, so that they can secure the oil/gas reserves in that area, to the detriment of Western powers?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 26th Aug, 2007 - 6:03am / Post ID: #

A Friend

War Cold New Cusps China Rises Russia

Great Topic Tortdog. This is a touchy subject that no one seems to want to talk about.

Putin is getting feisty with a fresh supply of cash. It seems like they are eager to flex some muscle and let us all know they are back in the game.

What intrigues me the most is their sudden friendship with China. How long have the two countries been at odds, and now all of the sudden they are buddy buddy. How long do you suppose that will last? What is the US's course of action here, if anything?

I think you make an interesting point on Russia and China's involvement in the middle east. I have wondered a little about this over the past couple of months. I almost want to say if they want that drama they can have it. wink.gif

26th Aug, 2007 - 11:34am / Post ID: #

Russia Rises; China Cusps: A New Cold War? History & Civil Business Politics

This is nothing new, we have over a dozen Threads dealing with this Topic in various forms within the Community. I am guessing this Topic is to talk about the Russia - China 'Axis'?

* Russia: The Evil Empire

* Is China In Prophecy - LDS Mature

* The Asian Space Race

* China vs. USA

* Chinese Spies Everywhere

Rather off topic, but...
What is "Cusps" in relation to this?

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3224 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 26th Aug, 2007 - 11:48am / Post ID: #

A Friend

I'd characterize it as a discussion about Russia and China confronting the West, yes. And what amazes me is it seems like so many in the West sit back in their easy chairs, plump with satisfaction, and do not even see it coming.

29th Aug, 2007 - 9:57pm / Post ID: #

Maybe so many people in the West don't care about it because paranoid Americans are the only people who even raise this issue. Honestly, is this not the talk of the paranoid superpower concerned it will lose its perch at the head of the world? I'm sorry, but I haven't seen any real evidence that Russia and China are in bed to screw over the West. This whole notion is strange to say the least.

The mere fact that Russia seems obsessed about securing cheap energy shouldn't come as a surprise. What are the Americans doing? And why shouldn't China aspire to be a wolrd leader? Why is it bad that anyone challenges America's supremecy? The US has largely been a good superpower to the West and a terrible power to the poor. I think the world will benefit if a few different nations emerge and stop one country from policing the world. I'm not suggesting that Russia, with its idiotic Kremlin leader, and China would do better. What I am saying is that so what if these countries challenge the US for supremecy?

Are you guys that worried? I wouldn't be if I were you, the US is superior on so many fronts. The only thing that could threaten you is China's economy which will eventually overtake America's, not least because their population is over three times the size of the US. I don't think there is any conspiracy here. It's more a case of countries trying to do what is best for their advancement.

International Level: Negotiator / Political Participation: 453 ActivistPoliticianNegotiator 45.3%

Post Date: 29th Aug, 2007 - 11:10pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

This thread isn't about whether America is toppled as a super power. It's whether the world should be concerned about a united Russia-China.

I argue it should, because Russia has already proven that it is not capable of wisely handling itself from a position of power. Millions died under the hands of Russian leaders, and while Russia was a superpower it practically enslaved other countries, forcing them to stay in the U.S.S.R. It was only due to Russia's inability to compete economically with the West that caused the U.S.S.R. to fold, and gave those countries in the East freedom to choose their own destinies.

China has not shown itself to be a strong protector of individual rights. While the atrocities committed by China pale in comparison to Russia, the lack of common freedoms in China should cause some concern, should it not?

And the fact remains that both Russia and China continue to pursue strong trade relations with Iran, a nation that funds and arms terrorism, and both seem to turn a blind eye to how their arms exported to Iran are used there.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

> TOPIC: Russia Rises; China Cusps: A New Cold War?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,