Returned Missionaries In "sexy" Calendars - Page 4 of 6

I don't know about legal issues but - Page 4 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 19th Oct, 2008 - 7:10pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

?
Poll: Would you buy a 'Sexy' Calendar featuring RMs?
  Yes       9.09%
  No       90.91%
Total Votes: 11
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
Mormon Calendar
Each of the 12 men featured in the sexy calendar has recently returned from a mission
Post Date: 15th Jul, 2008 - 5:34pm / Post ID: #

Returned Missionaries In "sexy" Calendars - Page 4

Message from non-Member

Name: Katy

Subject: Shirtless calendar

Message: Although I'm not Mormon (I'm Jodo Shinshu Buddhist--for MANY years), my great, great, great grandmother walked across the plains with Brigham Young (2nd of 4 wives to Phineas Cook). I support your stand on the shirtless calendar 100%!

I think it's very important to refrain from all the many influences that take away the sanctify of life and dehumanize the God-given status of people--which seems to be the norm today...just a money-making, degenerate way to exploit people. People should be treated as if they are VALUED! Thank you for your stand on this issue.

Rather off topic, but...
Please know that, even though my family is one of the original Mormon families, I will never be anything but Buddhist. However, many of my relatives still live in Utah & surrounding states and I will support Mormons as long as I live.

God bless you.

Returned Missionaries In "sexy" Calendars
Returned Missionaries In "sexy" Calendars (Hover)

15th Jul, 2008 - 5:45pm / Post ID: #

Calendars quotsexyquot Missionaries Returned

By now some of you would have guessed I am not a prude neither the "typical" LDS, having said that the missionary pic attached to the "muscle" ones is wrong in my view as well as any mention of the Church. Other than that I don't see anything wrong with those pics.

16th Jul, 2008 - 4:34am / Post ID: #

Returned Missionaries In "sexy" Calendars Studies Doctrine Mormon

The pictures themselves are not obscene or offensive. It is the association with return missionaries that presents the problem. It is contrary to what they are supposed to represent. To spend two years of your life preaching and teaching the Gospel and then participate in something that is so blatantly filled with sexual innuendo and make sure the two are connected is inappropriate. The photos are intended to titillate. Even though the proceeds supposedly go to a good cause (you can't convince me that Mr. Hardy is not making a profit off these calendars) there are more appropriate ways to do so.
If nothing else, it is inappropriate for an endowed man to pose shirtless for the specific purpose of public viewing and enticement.

27th Sep, 2008 - 2:23pm / Post ID: #

Page 4 Calendars quotsexyquot Missionaries Returned

Despite the fact he has been excommunicated, he is making even more money now! And yes, ready to release next year's calendar.

Source 2

19th Oct, 2008 - 11:54am / Post ID: #

Calendars quotsexyquot Missionaries Returned

The man who created this calendar (now excommunicated) is facing another problem. He finished the last 4 credits of his degree in June and when he thought he was going to receive his degree he received instead a letter from BYU stating that he might be eligible to receive the degree if he were reinstated as a member of the church in good standing.

What is your opinion on the matter?

BYU Yanks Diploma From Publisher of Calendar Showing Hunky Mormon Missionaries

Brigham Young University has withheld the diploma of a man who was excommunicated from the Mormon Church after publishing "Men on a Mission," a calendar of shirtless Mormon missionaries, the Associated Press reported today.

The man, Chad Hardy, told the AP that in June he finished his last four credits at the university, which is owned by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, as the Mormon Church is formally known. He then walked across the stage with classmates at graduation.

But in September, Mr. Hardy received a letter from a Brigham Young official stating that a nonacademic hold had been placed on his record. The letter said he might be eligible to receive the degree if he were reinstated as a member of the church in good standing.

Mr. Hardy was excommunicated from the church in July. A church elder told the AP that the calendar had been a factor in that decision.

A Brigham Young spokeswoman told the AP she wouldn't discuss the specific case, for privacy reasons, but she said that all students "must be in good standing from an academic point of view and from an honor-code point of view." The university's behavioral honor code aligns with church teachings...

Post Date: 19th Oct, 2008 - 1:42pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

First off, what does the Church hope to achieve with this? Scare him back to membership? What he has done may not be the smartest thing, but mixing church policies with academic requirements is beyond me.

I wonder if the man feels more drawn to the Church now...

It may be that when you sign up for the study you are in fact required to adhere to the Church standards, remain a member in good standing and the like. I don't think such a requirement is even legal here in Norway...

I don't sound like I am in favor of this, do I?

19th Oct, 2008 - 3:17pm / Post ID: #

Returned Missionaries "sexy" Calendars - Page 4

Personally I think is crazy not to give him his degree because of his church membership status (of course if this is what is really going on). I am not sure if is even legal for BYU to do that.

19th Oct, 2008 - 7:10pm / Post ID: #

Returned Missionaries "sexy" Calendars Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 4

I don't know about legal issues but I do know that when a student decides to attend BYU they do so voluntarily and also agree to comply to what is known as the "Honor Code." (Even if they are not a member of the church, students follow these except for church attendance itself.)

From the BYU homepage, www.byu.edu , under "prospective students" is says:

As a matter of personal commitment, students, faculty, and staff of Brigham Young University, Brigham Young University-Hawaii, Brigham Young University-Idaho, and LDS Business College seek to demonstrate in daily living on and off campus those moral virtues encompassed in the gospel of Jesus Christ, and will

Be honest 
Observe Dress and Grooming Standards
Obey the law and all campus policies 
Participate regularly in church services
Live a chaste and virtuous life 
Use clean language
Respect others
Abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee, and substance abuse
Encourage others in their commitment to comply with the Honor Code

Lower down on the same page it gives the Specific Policies Embodied in the Honor Code, wherin it states they can take action against someone.

Specific policies embodied in the Honor Code include (1) the Academic Honesty Policy, (2) the Dress and Grooming Standards, (3) the Residential Living Standards, and (4) the Continuing Student Ecclesiastical Endorsement Requirement.

Applicable Actions for the University

The university may elect to place an affected student on probation or to suspend or dismiss the student and to place a temporary or permanent notation on the student's permanent academic transcript that he or she was suspended or dismissed due to academic misconduct. The university may report an incident of academic misconduct to appropriate law enforcement officials and may prosecute an affected student if the act in question involves the commission of a crime (e.g., breaking into an office or building, stealing an examination, etc.).

Honor Code Office Involvement

The Honor Code Office will maintain a record of all violations of the Academic Honesty Policy reported to it by the faculty. If the occurrence is sufficiently egregious or if a pattern of dishonesty or misconduct is discovered, the Honor Code Office may take additional action on behalf of the university based upon the nature of the infraction(s). The Honor Code Office, in consultation with the involved academic personnel, including the Associate Academic Vice President-Undergraduate Studies, may determine to place a student on probation or to recommend suspension or dismissal from the university for academic dishonesty and other forms of academic misconduct.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 
Thank you for your continued support of our Community.

> TOPIC: Returned Missionaries In "sexy" Calendars

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,