Boring - Page 2 of 3

One thing that worked for me was to read it - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 23rd Aug, 2009 - 5:37am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
12th Nov, 2007 - 6:09pm / Post ID: #

Boring - Page 2

My point exactly, I feel that the old language that we use (and prayer for that matter) is not consistent with most American's language.

I would hope we do not talk with God the same way U.S.A English speakers tend to talk to one another other.

Most Languages have a formal way of writing and speaking that shows respect.
The language that should (in my opinion) be used for scripture as well as prayer is the most formal use of that language, as it does show respect for something that is, as you say divine.

thus such language makes our prayers, and scripture creates a false idea of being more divine then others.

I do not think that when we use the words thee, thou, thine we are saying that we are more divine than others, but rather that God is more divine then ourselves.
I also do not think that using so called divine language in scripture implies that latter day saints believe they are better than others. We hold the Book of Mormon to be a divine document that should be treated with the same respect that our conversations with God should be.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 9th Dec, 2007 - 2:03pm / Post ID: #

Boring
A Friend

Boring

Over the years I have also struggled with scripture reading. The use of Old English makes the scriptures harder to read. However I believe that nothing worth having comes easily. Something that has helped me is to read classic pieces of literature that also use the Old English langauge. Steinbeck, Tolstoy, Dickens, and Melville to name a few. Once your have become acclimated to the language it is much easier to read.

Our tendency to "dumb things down" is a hinderance. The language used is beautiful and if nothing else makes us more literate and eloquent in the manner in which we express ourselves.

Dbackers you are absolutely right. When we communicate with the Lord, or read His word we should be utilizing the most formal degree of the langauge we speak. It shows respect and reverence.

10th Dec, 2007 - 10:57pm / Post ID: #

Boring Studies Doctrine Mormon

I understand those are all valid points. I personally just do not feel that God really does not care about how proper our language is when we communicate with him. In my experience God is above that. I am not sure how using a modern translation of scripture is "dumbing down". Is not reading the Greek or the Hebrew script "dumbing it down?" I know on my mission that we were instructed to teach the gospel in everyones first language. If you spoke Spanish, you were taught the discussions in Spanish. Why then would God not want his word taught in a English that many modern American would understand. It seems to be counter productive to make the plain and precious truth coded and complicated in a language that many converts never have used there whole life. However that is my position and I understand why we as LDS are so for the old language because it is ingrained in our culture and has become a sacred language, a language that we reserve for deity and not the world. But from my personal experiences with God, he does not answer my prayers or reveal his love and revelation any less when I pray in modern language and read my NIV bible. In fact I have felt more close to him using a language (modern English)that is more personal and close to my feelings and expression. I find that the Lord understands my respect for him through my heart rather then my words. I feel God is far above the concern what type of English I use. I find that I am using words that mean something to me and I am able to express myself better and able to here him better when I use a NIV Bible. You should try it yourself you may like it.

Is there not a difference between the Catholic Church which was an apostate church and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints which we both believe is the only true church on the Earth led by prophets?

Dbackers, I am not sure what you are getting at with this. I am not sure how being the true church or not has to do with comparing solutions to problems that we both share? Just because the Catholic church had a similar problem with language in there scripture we should not see how they handled the problem. Just because they are not led by a prophet does not invalidate there solution as being a good one. I think that they are a true church. They hold some truths in there church, so thus they are true to some extent. I am always very cautious about calling another faith untrue and thus not validating there personal experiences with God. Prophet or not I feel that Catholics to have real and personal experiences with God and thus that is something to recognize and respect. Well I just realized that I am going off topic so I better end here.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: The tags you used could not be recognized. Please learn how to use the Quote Tags here. When you do not use these tags source material that is not your own may appear to be yours when it is not. See our Constructive Posting Policy.

Post Date: 18th Mar, 2008 - 5:00am / Post ID: #

Boring
A Friend

Page 2 Boring

I think this thread has gotten off topic a little. The question was how to get through the scriptures more easily. I've found that using audio scriptures works VERY well for me. I've never been able to read the bible before in my life, too much Repetition and Rhetoric, but since I started listening to it on tape, it's become an easy study, and since I'm not reading just one or two verses a day, the story is unfolding to my mind. And I'm happy to say that in just two weeks I'm all the way to Deuteronomy! The Book of Mormon is actually far more interesting and easier to read, so this method should help greatly.
All of the audio scriptures are now available online at LDS.org to download.

Post Date: 31st Mar, 2008 - 7:24pm / Post ID: #

Boring
A Friend

Boring

QUOTE (Morgan @ 18-Mar 08, 12:00 AM)
I've found that using audio scriptures works VERY well for me. I've never been able to read the bible before in my life, too much Repetition and Rhetoric, but since I started listening to it on tape, it's become an easy study, and since I'm not reading just one or two verses a day, the story is unfolding to my mind. And I'm happy to say that in just two weeks I'm all the way to Deuteronomy! The Book of Mormon is actually far more interesting and easier to read, so this method should help greatly.

I too enjoy listening to the scriptures, which I do. Along with T.P.J.S and others. However, I truly feel like there is nothing like reading the scriptures that puts you in the lap of God. I recommend both. Another thing I wanted to mention is that when I read a verse of scripture when I don't have the spirit with me, I'll find myself reading the same verse over and over again without getting much out of it. But when I DO have the spirit with me, I can devour chapter after chapter, and be totally edified by it. There is so much more to the BoM than meets the eye. Joseph Smith said that it is the most correct book on earth and that we would get closer to God by abiding by its precepts than any other book. Why? Because it contains the fulness of the gospel! I would encourage everyone to find every instance of someone obeying the gospel(faith, repentance, baptism, remission of sins by fire and the Holy Ghost) in the BoM and study all the aspects of their experience.Very eye opening.

1st Apr, 2008 - 12:45pm / Post ID: #

Boring

But when I DO have the spirit with me, I can devour chapter after chapter, and be totally edified by it.

That's probably the secret right there: strive to have the spirit with you, pray for enlightenment, when reading scripture. Otherwise, it can really be a struggle, I agree. I haven't tried listening to the audio scriptures, but I think I might do that to see how it "works" for me. I love the Book of Mormon, and it might be interesting to have it narrated rather than reading it myself.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 3rd Apr, 2008 - 9:04am / Post ID: #

Boring
A Friend

Boring - Page 2

For me I visualize the people and make voices for them in my head, it helps me understand the scriptures more.

Post Date: 23rd Aug, 2009 - 5:37am / Post ID: #

Boring
A Friend

Boring Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

One thing that worked for me was to read it in a second language. Getting different meanings from the same words was very fascinating for me. However, it is very slow going, and much more interesting for an analytical mind.

Another option is to look at how you are marking the scriptures. My first marking exercise was to color all reference to deity, and to underline all direct quotes of deity. What this did, first and foremost, was to keep me on the lookout for the next mark. Oftentimes, I would miss other things, but I would never fall asleep or wonder why I am reading. Also, thankfully, it helped me focus on the nature and character of deity, and my relationship to it. In the Book of Mormon, some other good options would be prophecy and fulfillment of prophecy, or commandments and the consequences of following or not following them. In Isaiah, a very challenging and rewarding exercise would be to rewrite all pronouns (first, second, and third person) as their antecedents. One of my initial difficulties with Isaiah was that many of the antecedents appeared after their pronouns. After writing in the noun or phrase in place of the pronoun, I understood a lot of things better. (I understand that Isaiah, like much of scripture, uses pronouns to have multiple meanings on many levels, but understanding the most literal level seems a requirement for understanding additional levels, or at least it helped me.) In other places, especially Chronicles or other genealogical lists, writing in who this person is, or at least where else they are found in scripture, helps immensely. For example, understanding where else Esau's posterity is mentioned in scripture might help to understand why his posterity is listed. Or maybe you like love, and mark all types of love. Or maybe you like war, and mark all mention of war.

I do think that marking your favorite scripture has its place, and is a good thing. But, having a task or mission keeps it exciting. Maybe you learn more, maybe not, but at least you keep reading. One thing I would suggest though, is to make your first attempt a "draft copy". Maybe you are not a perfectionist, and that you see your scriptures as tools only, with no emotional significance. I would encourage that. But most people would want their scriptures to be marked perfectly the first time, and would be upset or reluctant to change if they were 10 chapters in and thought of a better way. As such, I recommend taking a paperback copy of the Book of Mormon, and just starting. I was a missionary the first time I systematically marked my scriptures, and accidentally gave away my first attempt. Because of this, I had no problem in 'tweaking" my method. Also, I recommend one marking goal per time through. For example, my first scriptures were first marked in red, which was for deity. When I was almost through with red, I found a yellow pencil, and started again with the first principles and ordinances. When coming to a close, I found a green pencil and then was able to mark commandments and their consequences. By reading through multiple times, I learned more. By not marking all three (or subsequent topics) at once, I was less likely to pass over marking a topic, and it was much easier to carry around one pencil with you (which you will want to do once scripture reading becomes exciting).

Other options might be to make art about what you are reading (drawings, paintings, music, or even drama), or to teach it. Whatever works with your personality. Creating a personal journal or a public blog about what you read and learn might help you stay accountable to reading, and may even help others, but is a daunting task to someone who isn't sure that they will enjoy it. If you are in a seminary or institute class, you might also read to find questions to stump the teacher. You won't think of questions every day, and the teacher doesn't have time to play that game every day, but it can be fun every once in a while if you have a good list going. An example question: Who did exercises after they lost 10 pounds? (Shiz, Ether 15:31)

Another thing that I have done, and I am not sure if this is best or not, is to eat while I read. You won't get as much out of it, but you will stay awake. Make breakfast or lunch last longer, and read while you eat. If you are just really bored, but only want to read out of obedience, this might be the way to start. Also, I see nothing wrong with doing jumping jacks or pushups every 5 verses. Might even give you the chance to think about think about what you read, or to come back to the text with a new frame of mind each time. Maybe. But it will keep you awake.

Rather off topic, but...
The comments here about the difficulty of the language made me want to share some comments. The German translation of the Book of Mormon was re-done in 2003. The prior version was beloved by the German people. I actually met people who used it as a textbook for teaching their children proper German. The language, grammar, everything was beautiful. It was very formal, but it spoke easily to the soul. The new version was poor German. The grammar was lacking, and some of the words were odd, to say the least. And it was not as formal. The explanation was that the English version is lacking in those areas also. The team of language experts that worked on this new translation were inspired to translate not just the word or the meaning, but also the odd grammar and word formulation. It is a very interesting project from a translator's point of view, but it is more interesting that the correlation committee felt that retaining these aspects was somehow important and beneficial in studying the scripture.

In German, the language of prayer taught is the most informal. The instruction given to missionaries is to pray in a language they are only otherwise allowed to use for small children and animals. It is by no means guttural, it is respectful, but you use the informal "you", instead of the formal. The explanation given to the missionaries is that this is the correct translation of 'thee, thou, thy, thine", and that, at least long ago, these words were used to show closeness and familiarity.

Also, in the Japanese Articles of Faith, it explains that the English translation of the Book of Mormon is the word of God. I have no information which, or if, a prophet requested or approved that statement.

Reconcile Edited: ecawilson on 23rd Aug, 2009 - 5:44am

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Boring

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,