Adam-god Theory Repudiates

Adam-god Theory Repudiates - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 17th Oct, 2007 - 3:51am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

KoZ2 - Kingdom of Zion Topic
17th Oct, 2007 - 3:41am / Post ID: #

Adam-god Theory Repudiates

Adam-God Theory Repudiates

From bordeglobal.com/foruminv/index.php?showforum=120 site:

First Presidency Repudiates the Key Doctrine of Joseph Smith and Brigham Young
FOREWORD

We of the LDS faith never lack a knowing smile in our Priesthood and Sunday School classes at the mere mention of the nonexistent God, as taught by the Roman Catholic Church and as defined in its Council at Nice where their INCOMPREHENSIBLE GOD was promulgated. Dr. James E. Talmage labeled it as "---difficult to conceive of a greater number of inconsistencies and contradictions expressed in words so few."Yet the God of the Mormons has now become an INCOMPREHENSIBLE GOD, according to a sermon delivered before the BYU student body by Church President David O. McKay. Yes, the God, whom the Prophet Joseph Smith said we could know, "and that we may converse with Him as one man converses with another, and that he was once a man like us; yea, that God himself, the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth, the same as Jesus Christ himself did," is now declared to be an "INCOMPREHENSIBLE GOD."

Although Brigham Young taught the same COMPREHENSIBLE GOD as did Joseph Smith, the First Presidency today rejects the God of our founding fathers. In fact, Pres. Hugh B. Brown declared to this writer in the following words that: "Brigham Young did not know what he was talking about half of the time: therefore, you cannot trust his doctrines."

Eldon Tanner, Second Counselor in the First Presidency, when interviewed by a Protestant Minister about the Adam-God doctrine, stated for publication that: "The Church does not accept this Adam-God doctrine. Adam was the third, person present at the creation, and in that sense only could you call him a God."

We offer here for your special consideration, the direct doctrinal quotations from Joseph Smith, Brigham Young and other prominent early day Church leaders who laid a tried, and true foundation for the Church.

There are no statements in Mormon records which have given so much offense to the present LDS authorities, as those of Joseph Smith and Brigham Young establishing as the key doctrine of the Priesthood--the mis-named Adam-God Doctrine.

Blessed are those who seek to know the true doctrines of the Lord Jesus Christ; blessed are those who will deny the refuge of lies and traditions which they have inherited from their fathers; blessed are those who are strong to reject the counsel of an erring ministry; and blessed are those who will set at naught their own cherished opinions.

And again He hath said: "Vengeance cometh speedily . . . . And upon my house shall it begin, and from my house shall it go forth saith the Lord. First among those among you, saith the Lord who have professed to know my name and have not known me, and have blasphemed against me in the midst of my house, saith the Lord."      D&C 112:24-26  [1]                  THAT ADAM-GOD DOCTRINE                        IN MORMON RECORDS

On April 9, 1852, Brigham Young sent forth the Adam-God doctrine to the world. He continued preaching this doctrine publicly for the next twenty-one years.

"Now hear it, O inhabitants of the earth, Jew and Gentile, Saint and sinner! When our father Adam came into the garden of Eden, he came into it with a celestial body, and brought Eve, one of his wives with him. He helped to make and organize this world. He is Michael, the Archangel, the Ancient of Days, about whom holy men have written and spoken---HE IS OUR FATHER AND OUR GOD, and the only God with whom we have to do. Every man upon the earth, professing Christians or non-professing, must hear it, and will know it sooner or later. They came here, organized the raw material, and arranged in their order the herbs of the field, the trees, the apple, the peach, the plum, the pear, and every other fruit that is desirable and good for man: the seed was brought from another sphere, and planted in this earth. The thistle, the thorn, the briar, and the obnoxious weeds did not appear until after the earth was cursed. When Adam and Eve had eaten of the forbidden fruit, their bodies became mortal from its effects, and therefore their offspring were mortal.

"When the Virgin Mary conceived the child Jesus, the Father had begotten him in His own likeness. He was not begotten by the Holy Ghost. And who is the Father? He is the first of the human family; and when He took a tabernacle, it was begotten by His Father in Heaven, after the same manner as the tabernacles of Cain, Abel, and, the rest of the sons and daughters of Adam and Eve; from the fruits of the earth, the first earthly tabernacles were originated by the Father and so on in succession.

"I could tell you much more about this; but were I to tell you the whole truth, blasphemy would be nothing to it, in the estimation of the superstitious and over righteous of mankind. However, I have told you the truth as far as I have gone...

"Jesus, our elder Brother, WAS BEGOTTEN IN THE FLESH BY, THE SAME CHARACTER THAT WAS IN THE GARDEN OF EDEN, AND WHO IS OUR FATHER IN HEAVEN. Now, let all who may hear these doctrines, pause before they make light of them, or treat them with indifference, for they will prove their salvation or damnation.

"I have given you a few leading items upon this subject, but a great deal more remains to be told. Now remember from this time forth, and forever, that Jesus Christ was not begotten by the Holy Ghost....

"Treasure up these things in your hearts. In the Bible, you have read the things I have told you tonight; but you have not known what you did read. I have told you no more than you are conversant with but what do the people in Christendom, with the Bible in their hands; know about this subject? Comparatively nothing." (JD 1:50 and Mill Star 15:169.)  [2] September, 1852  "After men have got their exaltations, and their crowns; have become Gods; even the sons of Gods; are made King of Kings and Lord of Lords, they have the power then of propagating their species in spirit, and that is the FIRST OPERATION with regard to organizing a world. Power is then given to them to organize the elements, and then to commence the organization of tabernacles. How can they do it? Have they to go to that earth? Yes, an Adam will have to go there and he cannot go without Eve; he must have Eve to commence the work of generation, and they will go into the garden and continue to eat and drink of the fruits of the CORPORAL WORLD, until this grosser matter is diffused sufficiently through their CELESTIAL BODIES, to enable them, according to the established laws to produce MORTAL tabernacles for their spiritual children. This is a key for you. The faithful will become Gods, even the sons of God." * * Mill, Star 15, pp. 17, 21---1853 Supp.  October 23, 1853  "You believe Adam was made of the dust of this earth. This I do not believe, though it is supposed that it is so written in the Bible; but it is not, to my understanding. You can write that information to the States, if you please---that I have publicly declared that I do not believe that portion of the Bible as the Christian world do. I never did, and I never want to. What is the reason I do not? Because I have come to understanding, and banished from my mind all the baby stories my mother taught me when I was a child." (JD 2:6.)  April 20, 1856  "Though we have it in history that our father Adam was made of the dust of this earth, and that he knew nothing about his God previous to being made here, yet it is not so; and when we learn the truth we shall see and understand that he helped to make this world, and was the chief manager in that operation.

"He was the person who brought the animals and the seeds from other planets to this world, and brought a wife with him and stayed here. You may read and believe what you please as to what is found written in the Bible. Adam was made from the dust of the earth, but not from the dust of this earth. He was made as you and I are made, and no person was ever made upon any other principle.

"Do you not suppose that he was acquainted with his associates, who came and helped to make this earth? Yes, they were just as familiar with each other as we are with our children and parents." (JD 3:319.)  February 8, 1857  "Things were first created spiritually the Father actually begot the spirits, and they were brought forth and lived with Him. Then He commenced the work of creating earthly tabernacles, precisely as He had been created in the flesh Himself, by partaking of the coarse material that was organized and composed this earth, until His system was charged with it, consequently the tabernacles of His children were organized from the coarse materials of this earth." (JD 4:218.)  [3] October 1857  "Some have grumbled because I believe our God to be so near to us as Father Adam. THERE ARE MANY WHO KNOW THAT DOCTRINE TO BE TRUE. Where was Michael in the creation of this earth? Did he have a mission to the earth? He did. Where was he? In the Grand Council, and performed the mission assigned him there. Now if it should happen that we have to pay tribute to Father Adam, what a humiliating circumstance it would be! Just wait till you pass Joseph Smith, and after Joseph lets you pass him, you will find Peter; and after you pass the Apostles and many of the Prophets, you will find Abraham and he will say, `I have the keys, and except you do thus and so, you cannot pass;' and after a while you come to Jesus; and when you at length meet Father Adam, how strange it will appear to your present notions. If we can pass Joseph and have him say, `Here; you have been faithful, good boys; I hold the keys of this dispensation; I will let you pass,' then we shall be very glad to see the white locks of Father Adam." (J. of D., 5:331-2.)  October 1859  "Here let me state to all philosophers of every class upon earth: when you tell me that Father Adam was made as we make abodes from the earth, you tell me what I deem an idle tale. When you tell me that the beasts of the field were produced in that manner, are speaking idle words devoid of meaning. There is no such in all the eternities where Gods dwell. Mankind are here because they are the offspring of parents who were first brought here from another planet, and power was given them to propagate their species and were commanded to multiply and replenish the earth." (Deseret News, Oct. 28, 1859)  June 8, 1873  "The Christian world read of and think much about St. Paul, also St. Peter, the chief of the Apostles. These men were faithful to magnified the priesthood while on the earth. Now, where will be the mystery, after they have passed through all the ordeals, and have been crowned and exalted, and received their inheritances in the eternal of glory, for them to be sent forth, as the Gods have forever and ever, with the command--`Make yourselves an earth people it with your own children? Do you think the starry heavens are going to fall?" (Deseret News, June 18, 1873)  June 8, 1873  "My brother said that God is as we are. He did not mean words to be literally understood. He meant simply, that in our organization we have all the properties in embryo in our bodies that Father has in his, and that literally, morally, socially, by the spirit and by the flesh we are his children. Do you think that God, who holds the eternities in His hands and can do all things at his pleasure, is capable of sending forth His own children, and forming this flesh for His own offspring? Where is the mystery in this? We say that Father Adam came here and helped to make the earth. Who is he? He is Michael, a great Prince, and it was said to him by Elohim, `Go ye and make an earth.' What is the great mystery about it? HE CAME AND [4] FORMED THE EARTH. * * Adam came here and got it up in shape that would suit him to commence business. What is the great mystery about it? None that I have seen. The mystery in this, as with miracles, or anything else, is only to those who are ignorant. Father Adam came here, and then they brought his wife. `Well,' says one, `why was Adam called Adam? He was the first man on earth, AND ITS FRAMER AND MAKER. He, with the help of his brethren, BROUGHT IT, INTO EXISTENCE. Then he said `I want my children who are in the spirit world to come and live here. I ONCE DWELT UPON AN EARTH SOMETHING LIKE THIS, IN A MORTAL STATE. I was faithful. I received my own exaltation. I have the privilege of extending my work, and to its increase there will be no end. I want my children that were born to me in the spirit world to come here and take tabernacles of flesh that their spirits may have a house, a tabernacle, or a dwelling place as mine has,' and where is the mystery?"

The two foregoing quotations are from a photostatic copy of the famous sermon of Brigham Young delivered "in the New Tabernacle, Lake City, Sunday afternoon, June 8, 1873" as it appeared in the Deseret News, June 18, 1873. His remarks on the Adam-God doctrine commenced with these words:

"How much unbelief exists in the minds of the Latter-day Saints in regard to one particular doctrine which I revealed to them, and which God revealed to me--namely that Adam is our Father and God--I do not know, I do not inquire, I care nothing about it. Our Father Adam helped to make this earth, it was created expressly for him, and after it was made he and his companions came here. He brought one of his wives with him, and she was called Eve, because she was the first woman upon the earth. Our Father Adam is the man who stands at the gate and holds the keys of everlasting life and salvation to all his children who have or who ever will come upon the earth. * * * I could not find any man on the earth who could tell me this, although it is one of the simplest things in the world, until I met and talked with Joseph Smith."

The following statements appeared in the "Millennial Star" as early as 1853.

"OUR FATHER ADAM.--The Extract from the Journal of Discourses (Vol. 1:50) may startle some of our readers, but we would wish them to recollect that in this last dispensation God will send forth, by his servants, things new as well as old, until man is perfected in the truth." (Mill. Star Vol. 15:780.)

"It has been said that Adam is the God and Father of the human family, and persons are perhaps in fear and trouble of mind, lest they have to acknowledge him as such in some future day. For our part we would much rather acknowledge Adam to be our Father, than hunt for another, and take up with the devil." (Mill. Star, Vol. 15:825.)

Brigham Young said:

"I know just as well what to teach this people and just what to say to them and what to do in order to bring them into the Celestial [5] Kingdom, as I know the road to my office. It is just as plain and easy. The Lord is in our midst. He teaches the people continually. I have never yet preached a sermon and SENT IT OUT TO THE CHILDREN OF MEN, THAT THEY MAY NOT CALL IT SCRIPTURE." (Deseret News, January 29, 1880.)

At the October Conference of 1870, Brigham Young said:

"I say now when they (my sermons) are copied and approved by me they are as good scripture as is couched in this Bible, and if you want to read revelation, read the sayings of him who knows the mind of God."

By what authority did Brigham Young teach the Adam-God doctrine? Was it by the authority of his office as president of the church, or was it through the authority of the office of president of Priesthood? The fact that Brigham Young recognized the difference between these two offices is no secret matter.

"Perhaps it may make some of you stumble, were I to ask you a question--Does a man's being a Prophet in this Church prove that he shall be the President of it? I answer, no! A man may be a Prophet, Seer and Revelator, and it may have nothing to do with his being the President of the Church. Suffice it to say, that Joseph was the President of the Church, as long as he lived; the people chose to have it so. He always filled that responsible station, by the voice of the people. Can you find any revelation appointing him the President of the Church? The keys of the Priesthood were committed to Joseph, to build up the Kingdom of God on the earth, and were not to be taken from him in time or eternity; but when he was called to preside over the Church, it was by the voice of the people; though he held the keys of the Priesthood, independent of their voice." (Priesthood and Church Government p. 254.) (JD 1:133.)

The channel through which "all knowledge, doctrine, the plan of salvation and every important matter is revealed from heaven" is comprehended in the authority of the presiding Priesthood officer who stands as the "grand head" or president of Priesthood. (See T.P.J.S. p. 166-7.)

"For I have conferred upon you the keys and power of the Priesthood, wherein I restore all things, and make known unto you all things in due time." (D.&C. 132:45.)

God conferred these keys and this power upon the Prophet Joseph Smith. He was the priest and king of the Most High God who held the key and power of endless life and stood as God to the people. (See T.P.J.S. pp. 322, 363.) Joseph, the Prophet, then, was ordained by God himself as were all the head prophets who have presided over the Church and Kingdom of God upon the earth. (See T.P.J.S. pp. 180, 181.)

This grand priesthood office through which the head prophets have held the keys of Priesthood is referred to by Alma as "the office of the high Priesthood according to the holy order of God." (See Alma [6] 13:18.) The one holding "the keys of all the spiritual blessing of the church" which are conferred upon only one man on the earth at a time (See D.&C. 107:18, 132:7) is referred to by the Lord as "President of the office of the High Priesthood" (See D.&C. 107:91.) Those prophets who each in his turn hold "the highest authority which pertains to the priesthood, and the keys of the Kingdom of God," as the Prophet Joseph states, stand "as God to give laws to the people administering endless lives to the sons and daughters of Adam." (See T.P.J.S. pp. 166, 322.)

There is a distinction between a prophet "holding the sceptre of power in his hand" standing as God to the people, as did Joseph Smith, and a President of the Church who can not hold his office without first being chosen by the proper body of priesthood and upheld by the vote of the church membership.

"Of the Melchizedek Priesthood, three Presiding High Priests, chosen by the body, appointed and ordained to that office, and upheld by the confidence, faith and prayer of the church, form a quorum of the Presidency of the Church." (D.&C. 107:22.)

Joseph Smith referred to himself in the head position in priesthood government as follows:

"God made Aaron to be the mouthpiece for the children of Israel, and He will make me to be god to you in His stead, and the Elders to be mouth for me; and if you don't like It, you must lump it." (T.P.J.S. p. 363.)

The authority through which the Almighty speaks and reveals His mind, His will, and His doctrine, is not and can not be made subject to the vote and decisions of men. God has always ordained His prophets, as stated by Brigham Young, "independent of their voice." How could anyone possibly believe that the whims and ignorance of mankind could influence, alter or change the mind and will of Diety? When the Lord speaks, that should be the end of controversy. Men have no vote nor voice in what He says, nor can they choose His personal representative or mouthpiece.

The authority or priesthood which God Institutes to directly represent Him is by oath and covenant. God is responsible for the appointment He makes. That priesthood power can not be employed to deceive the people or to lead them astray. There is a great difference between the authority of such prophets as Enoch, Noah, Melchizedek, and Moses; and the authority of quorums or presidents of quorums whose decisions pertaining to church government may be made in unrighteousness. The Lord said in reference to the quorums of First Presidency, Twelve and Seventy:

"And in case that any decision of these quorums is made in unrighteousness, it may be brought before a general assembly of the several quorums, which constitute the spiritual authorities of the church; otherwise there can be no appeal from their decision." (D.&C. 107:32.)

It is seen here that decisions of the First Quorum of Presidency [7] of the Church are subject to revision by the lower quorums of the Church and that these decisions may be made in unrighteousness. The Word of the Lord through the grand head of priesthood is inviolate and not subject to revision or change by any quorum or group of quorums in the church. The revelation further states that the president of the church cannot pass fully authoritative decisions without the support of his counselors. This proves that the president of the church and the grand head of Priesthood are not necessarily the same. The decisions of the quorum of presidency must be unanimous in order to make them of the same power and validity with unanimous decisions of either the Twelve Traveling Council or the First Quorum of Seventy.

"And every decision made by either of these quorums must be by the unanimous voice of the same; that is, every member in each quorum must be agreed to its decisions, in order to make their decisions of the same power or validity one with the other--

"Unless this is the case, their decisions are not entitled to the same blessings which the decisions of a quorum of three presidents were anciently, who were ordained after the order of Melchizedek, and were righteous and holy men." (D.&C. 107:21, 29.)

The question of authority is vital. It is the fundamental issue pertaining to the Church and Kingdom of God upon the earth. Therefore, if Brigham Young held the office of president of the High Priesthood which is the "grand head" and which stands "as God to the people," as did Joseph Smith, the Adam-God doctrine must be recognized and accepted as divine truth.

The Mormon people must recognize and accept the Adam-God doctrine or they must find some other way than through Brigham Young, to claim all the presiding and governing powers of the Holy Priesthood. Thus we see that on one hand, the present L.D.S. leaders are proven to be in error on one of the most important points of doctrine ever revealed to man--a doctrine pertaining to the very knowledge of God and life eternal; (See John 17:3)--and on the other hand, they have surrendered all claims to the fullness of the governing and presiding powers of priesthood--which they claim through Brigham Young--by repudiating important doctrines advanced as scripture by the man they proclaim was president of the High Priesthood, thus renouncing their priesthood claims in his behalf. In either case, they know not God and are "out of the way" through "wine" and strong drink, or in other words through false revelations, as predicted by Isaiah (Read Isaiah 28.) Wine, according to Joseph Smith, means revelation. (See T.P.J.S. p. 192.)

If the spiritual authorities of the church decide not to teach some portions of advanced priesthood doctrine or to withhold some of the mysteries of the Kingdom of Heaven entrusted to them, the veracity and eternal value of the truths revealed from Heaven are not affected or changed in spite of twisting, turnings, and misrepresentations of the unbelieving.

It should be evident that the Adam-God doctrine savors of life unto life or death unto death.  [8] "Now, let all who may hear these doctrines, pause before they make light of them, or treat them with indifference, for they will prove their salvation or damnation." (JD 1:51.)

"When Brigham Young proclaimed to the nations that Adam was our Father and God, and Eve, his partner, the Mother of a world--both in a mortal and celestial sense--he made the most important revelation ever oracled to the race since the days of Adam, himself." (Women of Mormondom, p. 196.)

"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3.)

Sustaining President Young's teachings pertaining to Godhood, Heber C. Kimball said:

"I have learned by experience that there is but one God that pertaining to this people and he is the God that pertains to this earth the first man (Adam). That first man sent His own Son (Jesus Christ) to redeem the world, to redeem His brethren, His life was taken, His blood shed, that our sins might be remitted." (J. of D. 4:1.)

In November, 1857, after the Adam-God doctrine had been advocated for over five years, Heber C. Kimball said:

"Now brethren, you have got a spirit in you, and that spirit was created and organized--was born and begotten by our Father and our God before we ever took these bodies; and these bodies were formed by Him, and through Him, and of Him, just as much as the spirit was; for I will tell you, He commenced and brought forth spirits; and then, when he completed that work, He commenced and brought forth tabernacles for those spirits to dwell in. I came through Him, both spirit and body." (J. of D. 6:31.)

Franklin D. Richards, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve, Church Historian, and once editor of the Millennial Star, wrote:

"And God said unto them (Adam and Eve), Be fruitful, and multiply and replenish the earth, and subdue it; and have DOMINION over the fish of the sea, and over the fowls of the air; and over EVERY LIVING THING that moveth upon the earth." (Gen. 1:28.)

If the Lord God has ever withdrawn from Father Adam the authority here bestowed upon him, He has not seen fit to make it known to the world. * * * Adam has continued to bear rule over the earth, and control the destinies of his never ending posterity. From the time he received his commission in the Garden of Eden, he has been laboring diligently to FULFIL the instructions there given him by the Lord God concerning his dominions , and to bring them under subjection to his will. THIS WILL BE FULLY ACCOMPLISHED when every knee shall bow, and every tongue confess that he is the GOD of the WHOLE EARTH. Then will the words of the Prophet Brigham, when speaking of Adam, be fully realized--He Is our Father and our God, and the only God with whom we have to do." (Mill. Star 17:195.)  [9] Bishop Heber Bennion had this to say:

"It seems strange that people will believe that `as man now is God once was, and that as God now is, man may be;' that `God is a exalted man' and still repudiate the doctrine of Adam-God. These incredulous people believe that Eloheim, Jehovah and Michael (Adam) the `Father of all living,' created the world and yet can not believe that He is the God of this world. It seems presumptous indeed for them to ever aspire to be the God of anything, if Adam cannot be the God of the world he CREATED AND PEOPLED. If a man is not to become the God of his own posterity what will he be the God of? Evidently the Father of Jesus Christ was once a man like ourselves, he had a father as we have a God to pray to, and that God in turn, was once a man also, and so on AD INFINITUM, without beginning or end.

"As Brigham Young says, `There never was a time when men were not passing through this ordeal and preparation to become Gods.' Joseph Smith says, `Wherever was there a father without first being a son?' Jehovah means son, and is used interchangeably as the Son and a son. In the dedicatory prayer of the Kirtland Temple the Prophet Joseph repeatedly applies the name of Jehovah to the father whom he is addressing, as any one may see by careful perusal of the prayer as recorded in the Doctrine and Covenants, Sec. 109. Eloheim may signify the Father or Grandfather, or Great-Grandfather-God or the council of the Gods, and Jehovah may be applied to any of them in the capacity or relationship of a son, as they all are, for `where was there ever a father without first being a son?' (Joseph Smith in Church History, Vol. 6, p. 476). Adam is in line with his progenitors, the Gods, and by the genealogical record cannot be deposed from his position as the God of this world under the council and direction of the Gods above him, `intelligences one above another without end.' (D.&C. 78.) The whole superstructure for a plurality of the Gods is based upon this doctrine of Adam-God, and must stand or fall together."--(Supplement to Gospel Problems, pp. 8, 9.)

Here are a few quotations from "The Women of Mormondom."

"Adam is the great Archangel of this creation. He is Michael. He is the Ancient of Days. He is the father of our elder brother, Jesus Christ--the father of him WHO SHALL ALSO COME AS MESSIAH TO REIGN. He is the father of the spirits as well as the tabernacles of the sons and daughters of man--Adam ...

"Michael was a celestial, resurrected being, of another world. . .

"In their councils they said, let us make man in our own Image. So, in the likenesses of the Fathers, and the Mothers--the Gods--created they man--male and female.

"When this earth was prepared for mankind, Michael, as Adam, came down. He brought with him one of his wives, and he called her name Eve.

"Adam and Eve are the names of the fathers and mothers of worlds. "Adam was not made out of a lump of clays as we make a brick nor was Eve taken as a rib--a bone--from his side. They came by gen-[10]eration. But woman, as the wife or mate of man, was a rib of man. She was taken from his side, in their glorified world, and brought by him to earth to be the mother of a race. * * *

"These were Father and Mother of a world of spirits who had been born to them in heaven. These spirits had been waiting for the grand period of their probation, when they should have bodies or tabernacles, so that they might become, in the resurrection, like Gods.

"When this earth had become an abode for mankind, with its Garden of Eden, then it was that the morning stars sang together, and the sons and daughters shouted for joy. They were coming down to earth. * * *

"The father and mother were at length in their Garden of Eden. They came on purpose to fall. They fell `that man might be,' and man is, that he `might have joy.' They ate of the tree of mortal life, partook of the elements of this earth that they might again become mortal for their children's sake. They fell that another world might have a probation, redemption and resurrection.

"The grand patriarchal economy, with Adam, as a resurrected being who brought his wife Eve from another world, has been very finely elaborated by Brigham Young from the patriarchal genesis which Joseph (Smith) conceived."--(Women of Mormondom, pp. 179-181.)

"Still tracing down the divine themes of Joseph; still faithfully following the methods of that vast patriarchal economy which shall be the base of a new order of society and the temple of a new civilization.

"When Brigham Young proclaimed to the nations that Adam was our Father and God, and Eve, his partner, the Mother of the world both in a mortal and celestial sense--he made the most important revelation ever oracled to the race since the days of Adam himself.

"This grand patriarchal revelation is the very key-stone of the `New Creation' of the heavens and the earth. It gives new meaning to the whole system of theology--as much new meaning to the economy of salvation as to the economy of creation. By the understanding of the works of the Father, the works of the Son are illumined. The revelation was the `Let there be Light' again pronounced. `And there was light.' (The Women of Mormondom, pp. 195, 196.)

"We shall prefer Brigham's expounding of the dark passages of Genesis."

"All orthodox theologians believe Adam and Eve to have been at first immortal, and all acknowledge the great command, `Be fruitful and multiply.' That they were not about to become parents of a world of immortals is evident, for they were on a mortal earth. That the earth was mortal all nature here today shows. * * *

"The fall is simple. Our immortal parents came down to fall; came down to transgress the laws of immortality; came down to give birth to mortal tabernacles for a world of spirits.

"Eve, then, came down to be the mother of a world. Glorious Mother, capable of dying at the very beginning to give life to her offspring, [11] that through mortality the eternal life of the Gods might be given sons and daughters. Motherhood the same from the beginning even to the end! The love of motherhood passing all understanding! Thus our Mormon sisters of the fall of their mother. * * *" (The Women Mormondom, pp. 197-198.)

Here are the words of B. H. Roberts on the beginning of earth's creation:

"We are informed that the Lord God made every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb before it grew on our planet. As vegetation was created or made to grow upon some older earth, and the seeds thereof or the plants themselves were brought to our earth and made to grow, so likewise man and his helpmeet were brought from some other world to our own, to people it with their children. And though it is said that the `Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground--it by no means follows that he was `formed' as one might form a brick, or from the dust of this earth. We are all `formed' of the dust of the ground, though instead of being molded as a brick we are brought forth by the natural laws of procreation; so also was Adam and his wife in some other world. And as for the story of the rib, under it I believe the mystery of procreation is hidden."--(Roberts, "The Gospel" (Revised Edition), pp. 333-4.)

Again B. H. Roberts says:

"Some of the sectarian ministers are saying that we `Mormons' are ashamed of the doctrine announced by President Brigham Young to the effect that Adam will thus be the God of this world. No, friends, it is not that we are ashamed of that doctrine. If you see any change come over our countenances when this doctrine is named, it is surprise, astonishment, that any one at all capable of grasping the largeness and extent of the universe the grandeur of existence and the possibilities in man for growth, for progress, should be so lean of intellect, should I have such a paucity of understanding, as to call it is question at all. That is what our change of countenance means--not shame for the doctrine Brigham Young taught." (Mormon Doctrine of Deity, pp. pp. 42-43.)

Brigham H. Roberts also wrote:

"It is generally supposed that Brigham Young was the author of the doctrine which places Adam as the patriarchal head of the human race, and ascribes to him the dignity of future presidency over this earth and its inhabitants, when the work of redemption shall have been completed. Those who read the Prophet's treatise on the Priesthood in the text above will have their opinions corrected upon this subject, for clearly it is the word of the Lord through the Prophet Joseph which ESTABLISHED THAT DOCTRINE. The utterances of President Brigham Young but repeat and expound the doctrine which the prophet here sets forth."--(H.C. 3:388.)

Adam is Michael the Archangel who stands at the head of the armies of heaven. Archangel means "chief angel" or the head.

"And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought [12] against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels, and prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven. And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him." (Rev. 12:7-9.)

When Michael overcomes the Devil and his armies for the last time, this will be the battle of the "Great God."

" * * * and Satan shall be bound, that old serpent, who is called the Devil, and shall not be loosed for the space of a thousand years. And then he shall be loosed for a little season, that he may gather together his armies. And Michael, the seventh angel, even the archangel, shall gather together his armies, even the hosts of heaven. And the devil shall gather together his armies, even the hosts of hell, and shall come tip to battle against Michael and his armies. And then cometh the battle of the great God; and the devil and his armies shall be cast away into their own place, that they shall not have power over the saints any more at all. For Michael shall fight their battles, and shall overcome him who seeketh the throne of him who sitteth upon the throne, even the Lamb." (D.&C. 88:110-115).

Adam is Michael, the Ancient of Days, spoken of by Daniel. Through Him, Christ is revealed. Adam holds the keys of all the dispensations of the Gospel. The prophet quotes scripture referring to God, after speaking of Adam, without changing the subject or trend of thought.

"Commencing with Adam, who was the first man, who is spoken of in Daniel as being the `Ancient of Days,' or in other words, the first and oldest of all, the great, grand progenitor of whom it is said in another place he is Michael, because he was the first and father of all, not only by progeny, but the first to hold the spiritual blessings, to whom was made known the plan of ordinances for the salvation of his posterity unto the end, and to whom Christ was first revealed, and through whom Christ has been revealed from heaven, and will continue to be revealed from henceforth. Adam holds the keys of the dispensation of the fullness of times; I.e., the dispensation of all the times have been and will be revealed through him from the beginning to Christ, and from Christ to the end of the dispensations that are to be revealed. `Having made known unto us the mystery of His will, according to His good pleasure which He hath purposed in Himself; that in the dispensation of the fullness of times He might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in Him'." (Eph. 1:9, 10)--T.P.J.S., pp. 167, 168.)

Adam obtained the keys of dominion over every living creature "in the creation," (of the spirits) before the world was formed. This is significant when it is understood that only creators hold all the keys of presidency over their creations. (They obtain these keys only through being creators or fathers.)

"The Priesthood was first given to Adam; he obtained the First Presidency, and held the keys of it from generation to generation. He obtained it in the Creation, before the world was formed, as in Genesis 1:26, 27, 28. He had dominion given him over every living creature. [13] He is Michael the Archangel, spoken of in the Scriptures." (T.P.J.S., 157.)

The fullness of the priesthood of the Gods which is the office and authority of being exalted to the fullness of glory, was not only first given to Adam, but it existed with him from eternity, for he was an exalted being before he came into the Garden of Eden. He has the keys over the whole earth.

"The Priesthood is an everlasting principle, and existed with God from eternity, and will to eternity, without beginning of days or end of years. The keys have to be brought from heaven whenever the Gospel is sent. When they are revealed from heaven, it is by Adam's authority." (T.P.J.S., p. 157.)

Sponsored Links:
17th Oct, 2007 - 3:43am / Post ID: #

Repudiates Theory Adam-god

Continued...

Adam presides over the spirits of all men (this includes the spirit of Jesus Christ)--because he is their father and God. The Son of Man stands before Adam to receive glory and dominion. He (Adam) is the judge of all who have held the keys of priesthood upon this earth. (This includes our Christ.) Adam, who has had this earth as his stewardship since its creation, delivers the keys of government pertaining to it to Jesus Christ, yet retains his standing at the head. In other words Keys of the universe held by Adam since the creation are to be held by Jesus Christ when he receives the full keys of Government.

"Daniel in his seventh chapter speaks of the Ancient of Days; he means the oldest man, our Father Adam, Michael, he will call his children together and hold a council with them to prepare them for the coming of the Son of Man. He (Adam) is the father of the human family. and presides over the spirits of all men, and all that have had the keys must stand before him in this grand council. This may take place before some of us leave this stage of action. The Son of Man stands before him, and there is given him glory and dominion. Adam, delivers up his stewardship to Christ, that which was delivered to him holding the keys of the universe, but retains his standing as head the human family." (T.P.J.S., p. 157.)

The Ancient of Days is the grand Personage and central figure of Daniel's vision. Ten thousand times ten thousand are to stand before him as he sits upon his firery throne. He is the judge of the human family. The Son of Man is to be brought before him to be given dominion, and glory, and a kingdom" over which he will reign as King of Kings and Lord of Lords. The keys of dominion, of glory and of the kingdom which are to be given to Christ, have, as stated by Joseph Smith, been in Adam's possession since the creation through which he obtained the fulness of the powers of presidency.

"I Beheld till the thrones were cast down, and the Ancient of Days did sit, whose garment was white as snow, and the hair of his head like the pure wool; his throne was like the firery flame, and his wheels as burning fire.

"A firery stream issued and came forth from before him; thousand thousands ministered unto him, and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him: the judgment was set, and the books were opened.  [14] "I beheld then, because of the voice of the great words which the horn spake I beheld even till the beast was slain, and his body destroyed, and given to the burning flame.

"As concerning the rest of the beasts, they had their dominion taken away: yet their lives were prolonged for a season and time.

"I saw in the night visions, and behold, ONE like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of Days, and they brought him near before him.

"And there was given dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed." (Daniel 7: 9-14.)

Apostle Franklin D. Richards wrote about this grand event:

"At this important period when Adam is reinstated with full power upon the earth, seated upon his throne, as Daniel saw him--a glorious and an immortal God, one like the Son of Man comes in the clouds of heaven (as oftimes represented by the Apostles), to the Ancient of Days, and receives from him dominion, glory, and a kingdom. . . ." (Mill. Star 15:803.)

Joseph Smith said in the King Follett discourse:

"He (God) will then take a higher exaltation, and I will take His place, and thereby become exalted myself. So that Jesus treads in the tracks of His Father, and inherits what God did before; and God is thus glorified and exalted In the salvation and exaltation of all His children. It is plain beyond disputation, and you thus learn some of the first principles of the Gospel, about which so much hath been said." (T.P.J.S., p. 348.)

The following quotations from the Prophet Daniel, Joseph Smith and Heber C. Kimball will help teach us how it is that God saves and exalts his children.

"I beheld, and the same horn made war with the saints, and prevailed against them; until the Ancient of days came, and judgment was given to the saints of the Most High; and the time came that the saints possessed the kingdom." (Daniel 7:21-22.)

"The `Horn' made war with the Saints and overcame them, until the Ancient of Days came; judgment was given to the Saints of the Most High from the Ancient of Days; the time came that the Saints possessed the Kingdom. This not only makes us ministers here, but in eternity. (T.P.J.S., p. 159.)

"This brings to my mind the vision that Joseph Smith had, when he saw Adam open the gate of the Celestial City and admit the people one by one. He then saw Father Adam conduct them to the throne one by one, when they were crowned Kings and Priests of God. I merely bring this up to impress upon your mind the principles of order, but it will nevertheless apply to every member of the Church." (J.D. 9:41.)

The appearance of the Ancient of Days will be preceded by great judgments.  [15] "We ought to have the building up of Zion as our greatest object. When wars come, we shall have to flee to Zion. The cry is to make haste. The last revelation says, Ye shall not have time to have gone over the earth, until these things come. It will come as did the cholera, war, fires and earthquakes; one pestilence after another, until the Ancient of Days comes, then judgment will be given to the saints." (T.P.J.S., pp. 160-161.)

The Apostle Paul also tells us that the Archangel as God.

"For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the Archangel and with the trump of God; and the dead in Christ shall rise first." (I Thes. 4:16.)

Adam the Creator headed a dispensation of the Gospel.

"Everlasting covenant was made between three personages before the organization of this earth, and relates to their dispensation of things to men on the earth; these personages, according to Abraham's record, are called God the first, the Creator; God the second, the redeemer; and God the third, the witness or Testator."--MSS. (T.P.J.S., p. 190.)

"Now, how are the angels of God after the resurrection? According to the revelations which God has given, there are different classes of angels. Some angels are Gods, and still possess the lower office called angels. Adam is called an Archangel, yet he is a God."--(Orson Pratt--J.D. 13:187.)

"Look for instance at Adam. Listen, ye Latter-day Saints! supposing that Adam was formed actually out of clay, out of the same kind of material from which bricks are formed; that with this matter God made the pattern of a man, and breathed into it the breath of life, and left it there, in that state of supposed perfection, he would have been an adobie to this day."--(Brigham Young, J.D. 2:6.)

"Let me here say a word to console the feelings and hearts of all who belong to this Church. Many of the sisters grieve because they are not blessed with offspring. You will see the time when you have millions of children around you. If you are faithful to your covenants, you will be mothers of nations. You will become Eves to earths like this; and when you have assisted in peopling one earth, there are millions of earths still in the course of creation. And when they have endured a thousand million times longer than this earth, it is only as it were the beginning of your creations. Be faithful, and if you are not blest with children in this time, you will be hereafter."--(Brigham Young, J.D., 8:208.)

In the Bible dictionary, we find the word "Adam" to mean simply @man," "the name given to the first man in the early narrative of Genesis." The word "Adam" in the Hebrew dictionary is translated "mankind, human being, man, Adam." The Bible dictionary, after giving "man" as the meaning of the word "Adam," makes two distinctive declarations:

1. "By comparing the A.V., R.V. and R.V. marg., it will be seen there is some difficulty in deciding how far it (Adam) is used as a proper name. * * *  [16] 2. "The story of Adam finds an important place in the teaching of St. Paul, who regards Adam and Christ as the two heads of humanity, the one bringing condemnation and death, and the other justification and life; * * *" (A Concise Biblical Encyclopedia, See "Adam.")

Bible passages referred to in connection with the above statements are:

"This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him; Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and CALLED THEIR NAME ADAM, in the day they were created. And Adam lived a hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth."--(Genesis 5:1-3.)

"Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned; (for until the law sin was in the world but sin is not imputed when there is no law. Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is THE FIGURE OF HIM THAT WAS TO COME." (Rom. 5:12-14.)

Michael was given the title "Man" or "Adam" in the mortal creation, wherein he fell, taking upon himself mortality, that he might be the father of the generations of man. This fifth chapter of Genesis is therefore called "the book of the generations of "Adam" or man. It is of interest to note that after "Man" or "Adam" is created in the likeness of His Father and God, he begets Seth in his own likeness. We are informed by the Apostle Paul that Adam is the figure of Christ who was to come. Paul also refers to Christ in another place as the brightness of his Father's glory and "the express image of his person." (Hebrews 1:3) Christ is referred to in the New Testament some forty-five times as "the Son of God." He is referred to some eighty times as "the Son of Man." These terms are used interchangeably. He is called the Son of Man reverently, indicating that he is the Son of God. There is no propriety in calling Him the Son of Man to establish his mortality. Who then is "Man" who could be properly referred to as His father? It could be no other than a God who had taken upon himself mortality, or Adam.

"The Lord told me that Jesus Christ was the Son of Adam."---- (Heber C. Kimball's Journal 20:17.)

"Adam is our Father and God. He is the God of the earth. So says Brigham Young." (The Women of Mormondom, p. 179.)

The Book of Moses also identifies Adam as our Father and God.

"* * * and a genealogy was kept of the children of God. And this was the book of the generations of Adam. * * *"--(Moses 6:8)

This record proceeds to witness again that the name "Adam" or "Man" was applied to male and female.

"In the image of his own body, male and female, created he them, and blessed them, and called their name Adam,* * *" (Moses 6:9.)  [17] Our father's name has descended to us today and thus all the offspring of Adam are called by his name--the family of "Man."

"For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named."--(Eph. 3:14, 15.)

The word "Adam" is a Hebrew word meaning "Man." "Man" was the name of this grand Personage. Adam was merely the Hebrew rendition of this name. In the pure language or the language which Adam spoke, "Man" is the name of God, and the name of His only begotten is the Son of "Man."

" * * * for, in the language of Adam, Man of Holiness is his name, and the name of his Only Begotten is the Son of Man, even Jesus Christ, a righteous Judge, who shall come in the meridian of time."--(Moses, 6:57.)

The word for "Man" in this pure language, hence the name of God, is Ahman. The name of God is Ahman--"Man." The name of the Son of God, that is the Son of "Man" (Man being the name of God--the son of God and the Son of Man being synonymous titles) would be Son Ahman.

"There is one revelation that this people are not generally acquainted with. I think it has never been published, but probably it will be in the Church history. It is given in questions and answers. The first question is, `What is the name of God in the pure language?' The answer says, `AHMAN,' `What is the name of the Son of God?' Answer, `Son AHMAN---the greatest of all the parts of God excepting AHMAN'."--(Orson Pratt, J.D. 2:342.)

The Father and God of us all, the Father of our spirits and the same Being who came into the Garden of Eden and took upon himself mortality and began the creation of mortal tabernacles for his offspring, is named AHMAN in the pure Adamic language. The Hebrew equivalent which has been preserved in most of our Bibles as a proper name is ADAM. In English the name of Our God is MAN. Jesus Christ is SON AHMAN, SON OF ADAM, or the SON OF MAN.

"And let the higher part of the Inner court be dedicated unto me for the school of mine apostles, saith Son Ahman; or, in other words, Alphus; or, in other words, Omegus; even Jesus Christ your Lord, Amen."--(D.&C. 95:17.)

Three years prior to the death of Adam, he called his posterity together in the valley of Adam-ondi-Ahman. Adam blessed his posterity and they in turn blessed Adam and called him MICHAEL, the PRINCE, the ARCHANGEL. His everlasting position at the head of the whole family was affirmed by his God, and Adam predicted the events that would befall his posterity unto the last generation.

"Three years previous to the death of Adam, he called Seth, Enos, Cainan, Mahalaleel, Jared, Enoch, and Methuselah, who were all high priests, with the residue of his posterity who were righteous, into the valley of Adam-ondi-Ahman, and there bestowed upon them his last blessing. And the Lord appeared unto them, and they rose up and blessed Adam, and called him Michael, the Prince, the Archangel. And the Lord administered comfort unto Adam, and said unto him: I have [18] set thee to be at the head a multitude of nations shall come to thee, and thou art a prince over them forever. And Adam stood up in the midst of the congregation; and, notwithstanding he was bowed down with age, being full of the Holy Ghost, predicted whatsoever should befall his posterity unto the latest generation."--(D.&C. 107:53-56.)

17th Oct, 2007 - 3:47am / Post ID: #

Adam-god Theory Repudiates Studies Doctrine Mormon

Continued...

The great scene recorded In the 7th chapter of Daniel, when the Ancient of Days shall sit in judgment, will transpire in this same valley of Adam-ondi-Ahman. which is presently called Spring Hill, Davies County, Missouri.

"Revelation given to Joseph Smith the Prophet, near Wight's Ferry, at a place called Spring Hill, Daviess County, Missouri, May 19, 1838, wherein Spring Hill is named by the Lord:

"ADAM-ONDI-AHMAN, because, said he, it is the place where Adam shall come to visit his people, or the Ancient of Days shall sit, as spoken of by Daniel the prophet."--(D.&C. 116)

"Ondi" in the modern lexicography is interpreted "one says," "they say," "It is said" or a "current rumor." In this valley Adam's righteous posterity say "Ahman" to their father. They called him "Man" which is the name of God. They shouted "Michael" which means in question, "Who is like God?" They called him 'Prince" which means "the principal one" or "the one of highest rank." They proclaimed him the "Archangel" which is "the chief angel." These titles will be shouted again by ten thousand times ten thousand when the Ancient of Days shall sit. The Lord Jesus Christ will also be honored. This same congregation will call Christ the name He applied to Himself, "The Son of Man." The eighty references to Christ as the Son of Man were not made to convince the world of His mortality; but to proclaim Him the Son of God.

For those who objected to the Adam-God doctrine, the following appeared in the Millennial Star, from the pen of Franklin D. Richards:

"Concerning the item of doctrine alluded to by Elder Caffall and others, viz., that Adam is our Father and our God, I have to say do not trouble yourselves, neither let the Saints be troubled about that matter. The Lord has told us in a revelation which he gave through the Prophet Joseph, January 19, 1841--`I deign to reveal unto my Church things which have been kept hid from before the foundation of the world, things that pertain to the dispensation of the fulness of times. (Doc. & Cov. Section 124:41.) I would like to know where you will find scriptures to prove those things by, which have never before been revealed... and from henceforth we may expect more and more of the word of the Lord giving us instructions which are nowhere written in the old Scriptures. If we feel ourselves, or teach the Saints of the people generally, that we are only to believe that which can be proved from the Scriptures, we shall never know much of the Lord ourselves, nor be able to teach the children of men to any very considerable extent. If as Elder Caffall remarked, there are those who are waiting at the door of the Church for this objection to be removed, tell such, THE PROPHET AND APOSTLE BRIGHAM HAS DECLARED IT, AND [19] THAT IT IS THE WORD OF THE LORD. That is vastly stronger, than Christendom can give for much that they profess to believe. Tell the Saints that if this stone does not seem to fit into the great building of their faith just now, to roll it aside. You can help them to roll it out of their way, so that they will not stumble against it while at their daily duties, and it will be but a short time till they will find a place in their building where no other stone will fit, then it will be on hand all right, and will come into Its place in the building without the sound of hammer or chisel."--(Mill. Star 16:534.)

"Is it a mystery to the Christian world that Jesus is the Son of God, and still the son of man? Yes it is, it is hidden from them, and this fulfills the scripture--`If our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that we lost,' who have no faith, and who pay no attention to the Spirit of God. These things are called mysteries by the people because they know nothing about them, but where is the mystery? Will the ignorant receive the truth when they hear it? No, they will not, and this is their condemnation, that light has come into the world, and they choose darkness rather than light, because their deeds are evil. That is the fact in the case. What is the mystery about it? BY--Deseret Weekly News 22:308.

I can say to all the inhabitants of the earth that before what is called spiritualism was ever known in America I told the people that if they would not believe the revelations that God had given he would suffer the devil to give revelations that they--priests and people--would follow after. Where did I declare this? In the cities of New York, Albany, Boston, throughout the United States and in England. Have I seen this fulfilled? I have. I told the people that as true as God lived, if they would not have truth they would have error sent unto them, and they would believe it. What is the mystery of it? BY-Deseret Weekly News 22:308.

The following are excerpts from an article published in the Millennial Star 15:801, written to support Brigham Young's sermon of April 9, 1852. The title of this article is significant:

"ADAM, THE FATHER AND GOD OF THE HUMAN FAMILY"

"The above sentiment appeared in Star No. 48, a little to the surprise of some of its readers; and while the sentiment may have appeared blasphemous to the ignorant, it has no doubt given rise to some serious reflections with the more candid and comprehensive mind. A few reasonable and Scriptural ideas upon this subject may be profitable at the present time.

"Then Adam is really God! And why not? If there are Lords many and Gods many, as the Scriptures inform us, why should not our Father Adam be one of them? * * *

"No wonder Father Adam fell, and accompanied the woman, sharing in all the miseries of the curse, that he might be the father of an innumerable race of beings who would be capable of becoming Gods.

"With these considerations before us, we can begin to see how it is that we are under obligations to our father Adam, as to a God. HE [20] endured the sufferings and the curse that we might be; and we are, that we might become Gods. Through him the justice of God was made manifest. * * *

"And if John's saying be true, God has purposed to make him that overcometh, a pillar in the temple of God, and to `write upon him the name of my God.' `His name shall be in their foreheads.'

"This is the hope of all Saints who have a just conception of the future; and why should we not be willing for father Adam to inherit all things, as well as for ourselves? He is the first, the Father of all the human family, and his glory will be above all, for he will be God over all, necessarily, standing as he will through all eternity at the head of those who are the redeemed of his great family. Though all the sons should through their faithfulness, become Gods, they would still know that the son was not greater than the Father. * * *

"There are two grand principles by virtue of which all intelligent beings have a legitimate right to govern and hold dominion; these are, by begetting children from their loins, and by winning the hearts of others to voluntarily desire their righteous exercise of power extended over them. These constitute a sure foundation for an eternal throne--a kingdom as perpetual as God's. No usurped power, to be maintained by the shedding of blood, is connected with such a government. It is upon this foundation that the throne of Michael is established as Father, Patriarch, God; and it is for all his children who come into this world, to learn and fully understand the eternity of that relationship.

"Could we view our first Parent in his true position, we would find him acting in a similar capacity to the whole family of man, as each father does to his individual family, controlling, at his pleasure, all things which relate to the great object of their being--their exaltation to thrones and Godlike powers. We can conceive, from Scripture, principle, and analogy, that Adam's watch care is ever over mankind; that by his own approbation and direction Gospel dispensations have been revealed from heaven to earth in different ages of the world; that he was the first that ever held the keys of Gospel power upon the earth, and by his supervision they have been handed down from age to age, whenever they have been among men; that under his direction a Deluge once swept the earth from the wickedness which was upon it, and laws were given to Israel, as a nation, to lead them to Christ; and that he will in the end call men to Judgment for the privileges which have been extended to them in this world.

"Hear what the Prophet Daniel says upon this subject:

"I beheld till the thrones were cast down, and the Ancient of Days did sit, whose garment was white as snow, and the hair of his head like the pure wool: His throne was like fiery flame, and His wheels as burning fire. A fiery stream issued and came forth from before him: thousand thousands ministered unto him, and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him: the judgment was set, and the books were opened. * * * And behold, one like the Son of Man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of Days, and they brought him near before him. And there was given him dominion, and glory, and [21] a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and His kingdom that which shall not be destroyed."--(Dan. 7:9, 10, 14.)

"Again, the word of the Lord through the Prophet Joseph, gives additional importance, if possible, to the part which Adam acts relating to his children, which reads as follows--`But, behold, verily I say unto you, before the earth shall pass away, Michael, mine Archangel, shall sound his trump, and then shall the dead awake, for their graves shall be opened and they shall come forth; yea, even all."

"From the foregoing we are enabled to draw important conclusions, that before the coming of the Lord Jesus in the clouds of heaven, to take the reins of Government upon the earth, Adam comes and gathers around him all that have ever held keys of power under him upon the earth, in any of the dispensations thereof to man; he calls forth the dead from their graves, at the sound of his trump, he brings them to judgment, and they render unto him an account of their several stewardships; the books are opened that a righteous judgment may be rendered by him who now sits upon his throne, not only as the Father, but the Judge of men; and in that capacity thousands minister unto him. An august assemblage is now gathered in one grand council around the great Patriarch of all Patriarchs, consisting of his sons, who have been faithful in that which was committed to them; and all this preparatory to that great event, when the greatness of the kingdom under the whole heaven should be given to the Saints of the Most High. Daniel saw that the Saints possessed the kingdom, by virtue of which Adam was once more in possession of the dominion given unto him before the fall; which was over every living thing that moved upon the earth which rendered him the universal Sovereign and Lord of all.

17th Oct, 2007 - 3:51am / Post ID: #

Repudiates Theory Adam-god

Continued...

"* * * As the Great Eloheim, is supreme and Almighty over all his children and kingdoms, so is Adam as a great ruler, or God, in his sphere, over his children, and the kingdoms which they possess. The earth and all things upon it were created for Adam, and it was given to him of his Father to have dominion over it. In that dominion he will be sustained throughout all eternity.

"* * * Again we read that Michael shall stand up for the children of his people in a time of trouble such as never was since there was a nation, and at that time every one that shall be found written in the book shall be delivered, and those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake.

"* * * Michael has power to deliver men from the power of the Devil, which is death; that by the sound of his own trump--the trump of the Archangel; the nations of the dead shall awake and come forth to judgment, and there render an account to the Ancient of Days seated upon his burning throne. Then shall the nations know that he is their Judge, their Lawgiver, and their God, and upon his decree hangs the destiny of the assembled dead. Yes, our Judge will be a kind and compassionate Father, by whom none can pass, but through whom all glory, dominion, and power, will be ascribed to the great eternal. (Millennial Star 15.801, et seq.)  [22]  THE KEY TO KNOWLEDGE

"I had learned to call thee Father,      Through thy Spirit from on high,    But until the key of knowledge      Was restored, I knew not why."

Present Church Authorities and the lay membership alike, resist the so called Adam-God Doctrine. It is a lamentable commentary, but few of the present general authorities have any appreciable knowledge of the facts incident to the doctrine in question. One apostle recently dismissed the matter with a wave of the hand and in a contemptuous tone remarked: "There is nothing to it, just some more loose talk on the part of Brigham Young." The writer has heard others glibly refer to the doctrine as "some sort of a theory concocted by Brigham Young."

Be advised that the so called Adam-God Doctrine is a key revelation, given to the Prophet Joseph Smith. It was later revealed to the Prophet Brigham Young. It was and is still accepted as one of the greatest revelations ever given to any man by all who are appraised of the fundamental teachings of unadulterated Mormonism.

It is rank hypocrisy on the part of men pretending to the office and calling of apostles, prophets, seers and revelators to spend their lives denouncing this revealed doctrine. How foolish for puny men to suppose that they can in any degree alter the facts of the matter.

Hear it now, ye unbelieving general authorities and layety alike! Only a Jehovah possesses the power to lay down his life and to take it up again! Others may attain to the power of eternal lives and in eternity, become Adams however, they can never occupy the offices of Jehovah and Christ. Why? Because the office of Jehovah is reserved only to the first born son of a family of spirit children.

Now hear this!

Our Father Michael-Adam was a Jehovah, and as such became the Christ to his brothers and sisters just as did our Jehovah who now occupies the office of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. I here submit in evidence of this fact, the profound reasoning of the Prophet Joseph Smith. Said he: "As the Father hath power in Himself, even so hath the Son power--to do what? Why, what the Father did! The answer is obvious--in a manner to lay down His body and take it up again. Jesus, what are you going to do? To lay down my life as my Father did, and take it up again! Do you believe it? If you do not believe it, you do not believe the Bible. The scriptures say it, and I defy all the learning and wisdom and all the combined powers of earth and hell together to refute it." (TPJS 346)

This revealing statement was immediately proceeded by the Prophet's bold announcement: "I am going to tell you how God came to be God! We have imagined and supposed that God was God from all [23] eternity. I will refute that idea, and take away the veil, so that you may see.

"These are incomprehensible ideas to some, but they are simple. God himself, the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth, the same as Jesus Christ himself did, and I will show it from the Bible. I wish I were in a suitable place to tell it, and that I had the trump of an archangel, so that I could tell the story in such a manner that persecution would cease forever." (TPJS 345)

Brother Joseph Fielding Smith, take note. The Prophet Joseph Smith once said in reference to this doctrine in question: "I want you to know that God, in the last days, while certain individuals are proclaiming his name, is not trifling with you or me." (TPJS 347)

Brother Joseph Fielding, you have yet to tell the people the facts of the Adam-God Doctrine, as detailed by the Prophet Joseph Smith and Brigham Young.  To all concerned!

Before this earth was created, our Father Michael ordained His eldest son Jehovah, to the office of God! Our Jehovah acted as Michael's God while Michael occupied the office and calling of an Adam in the Garden of Eden. Our Jehovah watched over our Father (Adam) while in the Garden of Eden. He gave revelations to our Father Adam while in the garden, and later, after Adam had been expelled from, Eden. Jehovah also gained experience and learned. many attributes of becoming a God, as He watched over us, his Father's (Adam's) children, until such time as Father Adam's body was restored to its former celestial condition, by the simple process of partaking once again of the fruit of the tree of life. Whereupon, Father Adam, returned to his celestial abodes.

Yes, Jehovah, our Lord Jesus Christ, will continue his watchful vigil over us, his Father's children, until he turns back to Father Michael-Adam, all Priesthoods, Keys, Offices and Authorities employed in bringing to pass the eternal life of man. The climax of this sublime drama of all the ages, will take place at the great Priesthood meeting in the Valley of Adam-Ondi-Ahman, at the conclusion of Millennial Reign when our earth will have fulfilled the measure of its creation and become a Celestial World.

This is precisely what the Prophet Joseph Smith tells us when he reasoned:

"Jesus, what are you going to do? When I get my kingdom, I shall present it unto my Father, so that He may obtain kingdom upon kingdom, and it will exalt Him in glory. He will then take a higher exaltation and I will take His place, and thereby become exalted myself. So that Jesus treads in the tracks of his Father, and inherits what God did before and God is thus glorified and exalted in the salvation and exaltation of all his children. It is plain beyond disputation, and you must learn some of the first principles of the Gospel, about which so much has been said." (TPJS 348)  [24] Let us hear the conclusion of the entire matter, as found in the Church publication, The Deseret Weekly, under date of December 29, 1888.  "All that Father Adam did upon this earth from the time that he took up his abode in the Garden of Eden, was done for his posterity's sake and success of HIS FORMER MISSION AS THE FATHER OF A WORLD ONLY ADDED TO THE GLORY WHICH HE ALREADY POSSESSED. IF, AS THE SAVIOR OF A WORLD, HE HAD THE POWER TO LAY DOWN HIS LIFE AND TAKE IT UP AGAIN, THEREFORE, AS THE FATHER OF A WORLD WHICH IS ALTOGETHER AN ADVANCED CONDITION, we necessarily conclude that the grave was powerless to hold him after that mission was completed."      THE MANIFESTO, A PERPETRATED FRAUD

"The following is a true and correct statement of an occurance that transpired in Bristol, England, on Monday, May 25, 1908, while I was on an LDS mission in that country.

"On Monday morning, the 25th, our Conference Priesthood Meeting was held, which lasted for four and a half hours. After the preliminary exercises, President Charles W. Penrose asked if any of the brethren had any questions on their minds, and if so, to present them now before he delivered this message to us.  Up went my hand.  "Alright," he said.  "President Penrose, I said, "I have heard much discussion on the Principle of Plural Marriage, some saying that it is withdrawn from the earth and that the manifesto was a revelation from God.  "President Penrose then rose to his feet, scratched the side of his head for a moment or so, then stretched out his right hand toward us and said: `Brethren, I will answer that question, if you will keep it under your hats.  "I, Charles W. Penrose, wrote the manifesto with the assistance of Frank J. Cannon and John White. It's no revelation from God, for I wrote it. Wilford Woodruff signed it to beat the Devil at his own game. Brethren, how can God withdraw an EVERLASTING Principle from the earth? HE HAS NOT, AND CAN NOT, AND I TESTIFY TO YOU AS A SERVANT OF GOD THAT THIS IS TRUE."    Thomas J. Rosser  The above being duly sworn and witnessed.      REVELATION TO PRESIDENT JOHN TAYLOR      Sept. 17, 1886

My Son John: You have asked me concerning the New and Everlasting Covenant and how far it is binding upon my people; thus saith the Lord: All commandments that I give must be obeyed by those calling themselves by my name, unless they are revoked by me or by my authority, and how can I revoke an everlasting covenant; for I the Lord am everlasting and my everlasting covenants cannot be abrogated, nor done away with, but they stand forever.  Have I not given my word in great plainness on this subject? Yet have not great numbers of my people been negligent in the observance [25] of my laws and the keeping of my commandments and yet have I borne with them these many years; and this because of their weakness, because of the perilous times, and furthermore, it is more pleasing to me that men should use their free agency in regards to these matters. Nevertheless, I the Lord do not change and my word and my covenants and my law do not.  And as I have heretofore said by my servant Joseph: All those who would enter into my glory must and shall obey my law. And have I not commanded men that if they were Abraham's seed and would enter into my glory, they must do the works of Abraham?  I have not revoked this law, nor will I, for it is everlasting, and those who will enter into my glory must obey the conditions thereof; Even so, Amen.    FIRST PRESIDENCY REPUDIATES JESUS CHRIST

The above revelation has been called into question by the Church statement of June 17, 1933, signed by Heber J. Grant, A.W. Ivins and J. Reuben Clark, Jr., the First Presidency of the Church, in the following statement:   

"It is alleged that on September 26-27, 1886, President John Taylor received a revelation from the Lord, the purported text of which is given in publications circulated apparently by or at the instance of this same organization (the so called Fundamentalists).   

As to this pretended revelation it should be said that the archives of the Church contain no such revelation; the archives contain no record of any such revelation, nor any evidence justifying a belief that any such revelation was ever given. From the personal knowledge of some of us, from the uniform and common recollection of the presiding quorums of the Church, from the absence in the Church archives of any evidence whatsoever justifying any belief that such revelation was given, we are justified in affirming that no such revelation exists."

Such an evident attempt at camouflaging the truth and misleading the Saints merits the utter contempt of all honest men and women. It is a well-known fact that President Heber J. Grant and his counselor, A.W. Ivins, knew of this revelation when they signed that false statement. That the revelation probably bad been with drawn from the archives of the Church in order to make the statement more plausible, is admitted. The men who signed that statement committed, treason against the Lord. All of them have been called to the other side to face those whom they have lied about, thus, according to Joseph Smith and ins associates in the Priesthood, being plain, revengeful and out and out apostates, guilty of treason against heaven and meriting only the loathing mistrust of those who so bounteously heaped honors upon them in the Church.  The late B. H. Roberts, while Assistant Historian, of the Church, [26] stated to friends that he had seen, on more than one occasion, the original copy of this 1886 revelation, and know that it was in the Church archives; and in his opinion it was genuine.  A.W. Ivins, in a letter dated February 10, 1934, admitted finding the original copy of this 1886 revelation, but disdainfully said it was written in pencil and contained only a few paragraphs, and had no signature. (Where is there a revelation to Joseph Smith, Isaiah, or any other Prophet of God, that has their signatures? The revelation in, question was from the Lord and not from John Taylor.  Melvin J. Ballard, member of the Quorum of Twelve, stated in a letter dated December 31, 1934, "The pretended revelation of President John Taylor never had his signature added to it but was written in the form of a revelation and undoubtedly was in his handwriting." (See Ballard-Jenson correspondence, p. 27).  President Taylor said that in the time of the seventh President of this Church, the Church would go into bondage both spiritually and temporally, and would so remain until the one Mighty and Strong spoken of in the 85th Section of the Doctrine and Covenants should come.  He then added that, "I would be surprised if ten per cent of those who claim to hold the Melchizedek Priesthood will remain true and faithful to the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ, at the time of the seventh president, and that there would be thousands that think they hold the priesthood at that time, but would not have it properly conferred upon them."  Has President John Taylor's prophecy been fulfilled? Let us look to the record.

1) The Salt Lake Temple and other properties were mortgaged to Chase Manhattan National Bank of New York City, 1923. This mortgage has not been retired nor can it be until 1973.
2) From 1921 to 1957 there was no Priesthood conferred in the Church, just ordained to an office in the Church.
3) In April of 1957 (Conference was canceled, as you will recall), President McKay, in spite of very strong opposition from President Clark and others, determined to, revert back to the original method of conferring Priesthood, rejecting President Grant's innovation. When questioned as to what the status is of those who had been ordained to an office in the Church only, in those 36 intervening years, President Stephen L Richards said, "They don't have the Priesthood, it is just that simple."  Brothers and Sisters, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is God's Church, and His only Church in the earth. If these things have upset you, be of good courage. All of this, the scriptures and latter-day prophets have warned us would be. Fix your affection upon your Heavenly Father ,and your Lord Jesus Christ. Cease to worship men and, their pretended authority. Cease to follow after prophets who do not prophesy, seers who do not see, and revelators who do not reveal. 

W. Gordon Hackney, 
6821 Brookhill Dr. 
Salt Lake City, Utah 

> TOPIC: Adam-god Theory Repudiates

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,