Lds View Artificial Insemination - Page 2 of 3

QUOTE (Banaman) I have had friends that have - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 18th Jan, 2008 - 10:27pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
29th Oct, 2007 - 8:06pm / Post ID: #

Lds View Artificial Insemination - Page 2

The way I see it, God did not intend to make procreation a third party affair.

That is a valid point.

But I believe it also becomes a third party affair every time one goes to the doctor to increase the chance of fertilization or when one even goes for a simple checkup.

I can see the difference, however between artificial insemination and fertility drugs and check-ups. Invitro is much more invasive.

I am not sure where the line is between God's wanting us to follow the old fashion way of getting a baby here, and taking unusual or extreme measures to get get one here.

Sponsored Links:
29th Oct, 2007 - 8:29pm / Post ID: #

Insemination Artificial View Lds

By third party I mean another person not a drug to help enhance biological functions. Come to think of it, artificial inseminations usually involves the planting of four to eight embryos so you are even allowing the third party to decide a proabable number of children for you. Seems way out of nature for me.

30th Oct, 2007 - 5:52pm / Post ID: #

Lds View Artificial Insemination Studies Doctrine Mormon

QUOTE (McKay @ 29-Oct 07, 12:29 PM)
By third party I mean another person not a drug to help enhance biological functions....Seems way out of nature for me.

Reflecting on this thread I thought about the technology we have and how much more we have then those before us.

I wondered about times when they didn't have such a thing and it brought me to Abraham and Sarah. They tried for so many years to have a child with no success--thus Sarah gave Abraham her servant (a third person) so she could bear him children. I know the physical circumstances are not the same but it is still involving a third party when they cannot conceive on their own. That, seems way unnatural for me, because it isn't what I live with--It makes me wonder if the Lord provides for couple's needs differently depending on times and availability.

30th Oct, 2007 - 7:01pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Insemination Artificial View Lds

We also have to keep in mind that sometimes in these type of procedures several embryos are implanted (sometimes as much as 8) and many times doctors have to ask the couple to abort some of those embryos because it will make the pregnancy at risk. Are we taking into consideration the abortion of those embryos?

Post Date: 13th Jan, 2008 - 6:41pm / Post ID: #

Lds View Artificial Insemination
A Friend

Insemination Artificial View Lds

I have had friends that have had to have artificial insemination and their main concern was the need to masturbate to obtain a sperm sample not as much as the third-party issue. Both of them said their bishop told them that this was something that had to be done to fulfill God's commandment to replenish the earth and that they should pray and discuss this with their wives.

I personally feel that this was the right thing to do and can see that it benefitted them greatly and hasn't caused any guilt. Another example I relate this to: Eve "sinned" so that we could continue to our second estate and I am so greatful of that. I do not consider it a "sin" because the intention was absolutally different.

So my understanding is the church leaves it to each couple to make artificial insemination a decision between each couple and the Lord similar to birth control yet I think everyone I know recently married is on that stuff.

Hope you don't mind my two cents.

Banaman smile.gif

Reconcile Edited: Banaman on 13th Jan, 2008 - 6:49pm

14th Jan, 2008 - 7:47pm / Post ID: #

Lds View Artificial Insemination

We can choose to 'play' God or we can recognize why we do not have children and adopt those who need parents.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
18th Jan, 2008 - 10:23pm / Post ID: #

Lds View Artificial Insemination - Page 2

Alaskan said:

They tried for so many years to have a child with no success--thus Sarah gave Abraham her servant (a third person) so she could bear him children.

In this case she is not a third person as you and I see it. Servants at that time were part of the master to whom they belonged thus making her like a wife for Abraham.

LDS aid:
Are we taking into consideration the abortion of those embryos?

Good point, you looking at this in the same way as an actual abortion?

18th Jan, 2008 - 10:27pm / Post ID: #

Lds View Artificial Insemination Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

QUOTE (Banaman)
I have had friends that have had to have artificial insemination and their main concern was the need to masturbate to obtain a sperm sample

This is covered extensively in the Mature LDS section as we do not get into specifics in the Public Boards.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Lds View Artificial Insemination

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,