Lds View Of Nostradamus - Page 2 of 3

I do not think that Nostradamas is a prophet...I - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 21st Sep, 2009 - 11:25pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 

Michel de Nostredame
Post Date: 18th Apr, 2008 - 2:39am / Post ID: #

Lds View Of Nostradamus - Page 2

Name: Habakuk

Comments: Well, apparently Nostradamus had some method where he looked into a bowl filled with some type of liquid - water or whatever. It was some method the scriptures would refer to as "peeping". While I agree the gifts of the spirit are not confined to church members, Nostradamus did not have the true gift of prophecy. What method he used isn't entirely clear, but it wasn't the spirit. His "prophecies" are so obscure to the point of being indecipherable. People can only interpret them backward - applying a quatrain to an event after the fact, rarely before.

Ironically, as an aside, Nostradamus is indirectly responsible for bringing me back to the church years ago when I was in college. I saw the Orson Welles show about him and his supposed prophecies of the end of the world. This got me thinking about the Second Coming and that I needed to get in gear. Funny how these things work out.

Sponsored Links:
1st Mar, 2009 - 7:00pm / Post ID: #

Nostradamus View Lds

I just saw a documentary on this and I rushed here to see what this site ha on it and of course you already have these posts. That's why I like this place so much. Anyway I thought the looking into objects bit very similar to the seer stones. Is there anything to his prophecies though?

Post Date: 3rd Mar, 2009 - 4:47am / Post ID: #

Lds View Of Nostradamus Studies Doctrine Mormon

Name: TopherPUSA

Comments: I saw the documentary on Nostradamus too. I stayed up late to see it and it held me tight.
It showed the correlation between his so called prophecies/predictions and what is actually going on in the modern world.
The History Channel also made many scientific facts to show that change is happening, and has always been happening for a very long time, at a very slow and steady rate.

It is the orbits of the planets, and the sun in our Milky Way Galaxy. I can't help but hold an open consideration for the possibilities of what is to come, and how it will happen, and what part of God's plan it actually involves.

Just to say that a man from outside the Church is correct in his assumptions and studies, does not invalidate the Gospel as it is. After all, we do baptize the dead.

God makes all things possible.

Source 1: History Channel

Post Date: 4th Mar, 2009 - 1:58am / Post ID: #

Lds View Of Nostradamus
A Friend

Page 2 Nostradamus View Lds

I think that I agree with dbackers on this one. If we look at the scriptures (I can't remember the reference), doesn't it say somewhere in the BOM (maybe 2 Nephi?, possibly the Isaiah chapters) that during the apostacy men shall seek the gospel and shall not find it? Does anyone know what I'm referring to?

Personally, I'm not putting much faith in Nostradamus. Besides, we're all members of the Church, right? We are all intitled to personal revelation. Ask and ye shall receive, knock, and it shall be opened unto you. smile.gif

Post Date: 6th Mar, 2009 - 4:18am / Post ID: #

Lds View Of Nostradamus
A Friend

Nostradamus View Lds

I do remember reading on one of his poems about the 911 attack, but I do agree with others in this thread that these prophecies are not inspired of God. To have the gift of prophecy, you must be really close to God to receive them

Post Date: 27th Mar, 2009 - 10:27am / Post ID: #

Lds View Of Nostradamus

Name: Tenkir

Comments: Prophecy may not be only inspired by God, there are those prophets not of God (false prophets). As we know Nostradamus lived in times of the great apostasy , however he has prophesied those things to come and I believe he did it by the power of devil. Be ware of false prophets and false churches with lots of miracles.

Source 1: LDS education

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 7th Sep, 2009 - 12:54am / Post ID: #

Lds View Of Nostradamus
A Friend

Lds View Nostradamus - Page 2

We where told by Joseph Smith that in th latter days many books will come forth to judge the world. Now.... As such, each book will contain the history of this earth and how we took it, both are going to be prophetic, and historical.
I believe is utter ignorance to dismiss the fact that someone else has had revelation outside the church for "I am the Lord and I do what what I do, and I don't apologize for it..."
We all know that revelation is not exclusive to the LDS church, since it is not necessary to hold the priesthood to receive revelation (example... The women in the bible who where spiritual leaders to Israel, Pagan kings who seeked help from prophets through dreams, Joseph Smith himself, etc...
Even the fact that revelation pertaining a ministry (when a prophet is the spiritual leader of Israel) does not require you to be a priesthood holder.
One thing is true tho. In each ministry, there is always a main prophet, who legitimately reveals he can speak to God (I believe face to face at least at some point), and besides him there is no other.
People can still receive revelation during such time, but normally pertains to congregations to whom one is responsible, from families to stakes. And in each case is under the proper given keys.
My point is that Nostradamus lived at the ending of dark ages, when still the supremacy of the Roman Catholic church was being defied by the era of the illumination. Rejecting the possibility of revelation would discard the beginnings of the french revolution, the discovery of the new world, and the era of the steam engine as just a coincidence and not a divine intervention.
Just like the Apocrypha books, the prophet would have to reveal to us if they are legitimate, and till what extent (since we know that such books at one point where originally wrote by divine intervention).
Someone said earlier that they are just poems hard to understand, and that if God intended it for us to understand them, then he would have made it easier for us... What an ignorant [statement]... Such comment shows the lack of interest in deep doctrine...
Most of the prophetic books have been written in allegoric poems since the where described in a more figurative and emotional way, than just a recipe book telling us exactly what is going on.
The pearl of great price, revelations, the book of Daniel, even second Nephi, all of which where written in a way that only those desiring with a true heart to understand their truths, and where ready to find it, where able to understand.
I Believe just as Joseph smith said, that other books will come forth before the second coming, which will tell us the story of the other tribes scattered, from Asia to the islands of the Caribbean.
So please, I hope to find people with a more inquisitive mind, thirsty of knowledge and answers.
For he who seeks will find....

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Word inserted since you are referring to statement and not person. Use uppercase letters for names, places, etc. Please check over your spelling using the built-in Spell Checker before posting your message. See Constructive Posting Policy

21st Sep, 2009 - 11:25pm / Post ID: #

Lds View Nostradamus Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

I do not think that Nostradamas is a prophet...I do think that he is psychic. I think in order to be a prophet of God, you have to proclaim the life and gosple of Jesus Christ, and this guy does not do that...ever. I have watched a lot of documentaries on Nostro....they are all about doom and gloom....which may very well be true....but they are confusing, they are not clear, they are not helpful to the salvation of mankind. Hitler and Napoleon were both fascinated and read from the prophecies of Nostro. I am fascinated with people like Nostro and Da Vinci, but I do not feel the spirit telling me that these men are of God.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Lds View Of Nostradamus

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,