Mormon View: Alcohol In Medicine

Mormon View Alcohol Medicine - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 6th Nov, 2007 - 2:30am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
3rd Nov, 2007 - 7:55pm / Post ID: #

What about medicine that contains alcohol? Is that against the words of wisdom or is that okay to take? If it is okay then does that mean alcohol is okay as a medicine even though god said is not for the body?

Sponsored Links:
3rd Nov, 2007 - 9:39pm / Post ID: #

Medicine Alcohol View Mormon

I have been sick for a little over a week now and have used NyQuil to help sleep with all the symptoms. I was thinking that they took alcohol out of it but I am not sure now actually. It is an interesting question you pose.

I have never heard any leaders come out and say not to use medications with it. I remember when I was a kid, (we weren't members then) my dad would give us black-berry brandy to soothe chest colds.

Mormon View: Alcohol In Medicine (Hover)

3rd Nov, 2007 - 10:58pm / Post ID: #

Mormon View: Alcohol In Medicine Studies Doctrine Mormon

God didn't say "alcohol is not for the body." He said "strong drink." There's a big difference. However, it's basically up to the individual to decide what is best for them.

4th Nov, 2007 - 1:02am / Post ID: #

QUOTE (FarSeer)
He said "strong drink."

We are told by the Brethren that this refers to alcohol. How else would you define strong drink?

As for the question I have heard some say that if you are taking it as a byproduct of other medication then you are not breaking the Word of Wisdom, however that is not doctrinal nor official.

4th Nov, 2007 - 6:37am / Post ID: #

QUOTE (JB @ 3-Nov 07, 5:02 PM)
We are told by the Brethren that this refers to alcohol. How else would you define strong drink?

I agree with JB, as I have always been told that the church has named liquor/alcohol as something we are not to do and that if taken, it does violate the word of wisdom.

As far as the other comment regarding it as a byproduct--I have never heard anything but have never felt that it was wrong to take it in medicine (of course, not abusing it).

4th Nov, 2007 - 10:44pm / Post ID: #

I used to take a tissane regularly and was recently reading the ingredients and noticed that it contained ethyl alcohol (ethanol). I finished out the bottle and then chose not to buy it anymore. I looked for another tissane that does not have alcohol, but it seems to be less potent. Honestly, I do not feel that there is anything wrong with the first tissane because I am not buying it to get the alcohol content, but just to be on the safe side I switched.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 5th Nov, 2007 - 4:00pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Mormon View Alcohol Medicine

I've been interested in alternative medicine for years. I make a fresh batch each year of my own homemade cough syrup in anticipation of the normal cycles of colds and coughs.

It's made with herb extracts, raw honey and straight bourbon. Yeah, I have to go once a year to a liquor store and buy that last ingredient for my medicine :-) I use that exact type of ingredient because it works the best in the medicine. It isn't the same using any other type of alcohol. I believe it has to do with the processing and original source materials.

As with almost anything else in life, it's more about your desire and intention than it is about tangible materials. Alcohol is not an evil substance. It can't taint you physically. It's a very effective cleaner and preservative actually :-).

It's the desires of our hearts that convict us.

Reconcile Edited: Brianj on 5th Nov, 2007 - 4:01pm

6th Nov, 2007 - 2:30am / Post ID: #

Mormon View Alcohol Medicine Mormon Doctrine Studies

I took this without thinking about whether it has alcohol or not. To me its not even an issue. Can you imagine the confession? Bishop, sorry I break the word of wisdom I drink nyquil when I'm sick.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Mormon View: Alcohol In Medicine

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,