Mormon Returning To Command In Battle.

Mormon Returning Command Battle - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 5th Nov, 2007 - 7:56pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 9th Oct, 2007 - 12:31am / Post ID: #

A Friend

For some reason when I have read the chapters of Mormon I have felt like there is a lesson that I keep missing. I hope you can help me "get it".

9 And now, because of this great thing which my people, the Nephites, had done, they began to aboast in their own strength, and began to swear before the heavens that they would avenge themselves of the blood of their brethren who had been slain by their enemies.
  10 And they did aswear by the heavens, and also by the throne of God, that they bwould go up to battle against their enemies, and would cut them off from the face of the land.
  11 And it came to pass that I, Mormon, did utterly arefuse from this time forth to be a commander and a leader of this people, because of their wickedness and abomination.
  12 Behold, I had led them, notwithstanding their wickedness I had led them many times to battle, and had loved them, according to the alove of God which was in me, with all my heart; and my soul had been poured out in prayer unto my God all the day long for them; nevertheless, it was bwithout faith, because of the chardness of their hearts.
  13 And athrice have I delivered them out of the hands of their enemies, and they have repented not of their sins.
  14 And when they had sworn by all that had been aforbidden them by our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, that they would go up unto their enemies to battle, and avenge themselves of the blood of their brethren, behold the voice of the Lord came unto me, saying:
  15 aVengeance is mine, and I will brepay; and because this people repented not after I had delivered them, behold, they shall be cut off from the face of the earth.
  16 And it came to pass that I utterly refused to go up against mine enemies; and I did even as the Lord had commanded me; and I did stand as an idle witness to manifest unto the world the things which I saw and heard, according to the manifestations of the Spirit which had testified of things to come.

Mormon 5:  1. And it came to pass that I did go forth among the Nephites, and did repent of the aoath which I had made that I would no more assist them; and they gave me command again of their armies, for they looked upon me as though I could deliver them from their afflictions.

I have posted what I feel to be the most relevant verses that pertain to my question. I am not well versed in scripture so you may be able to point out many things I am missing. I have focused mainly on Chapter 3: 11;15-16 Chapter 5:1

My question is ......what is the lesson to be gained from Mormon refusing to lead his people; then later returning to lead them.

A few thoughts that have struck me include: Why does he say he repented of his oath?
Why return to lead a people he knew were wicked and under condemnation? He states he did as the Lord commanded, I am certain he prayed for direction in returning to lead them, what am I missing?

Sorry if my thoughts are not real clear but thanks for any input.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please learn how to use the Quote Tags. See our Constructive Posting Policy.

Sponsored Links:
9th Oct, 2007 - 2:33am / Post ID: #

Battle Command Returning Mormon

My question is ......what is the lesson to be gained from Mormon refusing to lead his people; then later returning to lead them.

I believe Mormon had conflicted values. He could not support the wickedness of his people, but he also saw that his nation was in need of protection. We all have conflicting values when it comes to loving and supporting our countries while also trying to help it become less wicked.

Mormon knew there was no hope of redemption for the Nephites. He probably knew by revelation that his Nation would be destroyed. But as a Man who had spent his life protecting those within his watch he could not refuse their pleas, even when they were the pleas of the Wicked.

He was not fighting because he knew he could defeat the enemy, nor because he knew the Nephites had any hope of physical or spiritual redemption. He fought out of loyalty to his people and this is a noble ideal in my opinion.

9th Oct, 2007 - 10:22am / Post ID: #

Mormon Returning To Command In Battle. Studies Doctrine Mormon

Good points dbackers, just to add a little. In those Scriptures we learn that Mormon had a special love for these people:

"and had loved them, according to the love of God which was in me,

Very powerful Scripture that reminds me of parenthood and Heavenly Father as well. He loves everyone of us, despite the fact we are sometimes "wicked" but over and over he gives us chances. I think Mormon knew his people would not change but he felt bad in leaving them because of the love he had for them. Don't we see this daily with parents dealing with conflicted children? Many times they know their kids won't change but because of the love they have for them, they continue helping them.

Post Date: 5th Nov, 2007 - 7:56pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Battle Command Returning Mormon

When he said he "repented" of his oath, I don't think that word is used in the sense of repenting from sin. It just means he turned around and decided to do the opposite.

I think this is an example of having to chose between bad and worse instead of just simply right and wrong. The Nephites were wicked. The Lamanites were wicked. They were killing each other. Mormon could do nothing and sit there and watch, or he could help do what he could. He wasn't going to be able to fix it all and make everything right. Who knows how many people he influenced in good small ways by being involved instead of just picking up his toys, stomping away and not playing anymore? Sorry, maybe that makes light of it too much. But that is the idea.

I struggled with similar sorts of feelings when I was in the US Army. I really have problems with my country's foreign policy sometimes. I signed up for the active reserves after 4 years active duty. Eventually, I left the reserves because of it. I didn't think I could honestly be in the intelligence field, hold a security clearance and not really in my heart buy into it all.

If it came down to really defending myself, my family and community though (through military service), I wouldn't hesitate.

(I'm just relaying a personal experience, I really don't want to get off track into politics or defense or criticism of foreign policy).

Reconcile Edited: Brianj on 5th Nov, 2007 - 7:57pm

> TOPIC: Mormon Returning To Command In Battle.

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,