Single Word Change In Book Of Mormon Speaks Volume - Page 2 of 3

Hey guys I was wondering what do you all think - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 21st Dec, 2010 - 12:27am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
The LDS Church has changed a single word in its introduction to the Book of Mormon, a change observers say has serious implications for commonly held LDS beliefs about the ancestry of American Indians
6th Dec, 2007 - 12:11am / Post ID: #

Single Word Change In Book Of Mormon Speaks Volume - Page 2

Jhmicheal25,

PRINCIPAL ANCESTORS: Indicates that there are other ancestors as well.

Yes it does indicate this but principal according to websters dictionary means primary source.  Thus Principal ancestors does imply other ancestors as you stated, but that the Lamonites were the main source or the major decedents to the Native Americans. If there was not difference between the term "among" and "principal" then why change the wording.
BY changing the word from primary, to among you are now saying that they were not the main source for Native American ancestry but rather a source that does not dominate the Native American origins. What this does is recognize that Lamonites decedents are much smaller then what was earlier thought to be.

Let's say we are talking about movies and not ANCESTORS of the America Continent. And you may have said, oh Clint Eastwood is the principal player of the movie. Well, if he is the principal player he is not the ONLY PLAYER, there are other players as well.

Yes Clint Eastwood is not the only actor in the movie, but he is the main actor who gets the majority of the scenes. His influence, thumb print on the movie is much more significant then if he was only among the other actors.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 3rd Jul, 2009 - 2:18pm / Post ID: #

Single Word Change In Book Of Mormon Speaks Volume
A Friend

Volume Speaks Mormon Book Change Word Single

OK. So, now we know that there is a Primary and Secondary source.

When did this secondary come about? Could it be that for some time the Lamanites were the only ones here, and now, there is a secondary source because maybe, the Native Americans have been mixing with other races in the last decades?

This could explain the change on the introducton, right?
Because maybe at the beginning they were pure Lamanites, and now, they have mixed with other races. . .

Any insights?

3rd Jul, 2009 - 7:26pm / Post ID: #

Single Word Change In Book Of Mormon Speaks Volume Studies Doctrine Mormon

But let's consider the definition as primary for a moment and see what implies around primary if that is what is supposed to mean. It shouldn't be PRIMARY without SECONDARY as verse it shouldn't be SECONDARY without PRIMARY. So if primary is correct than we also should consider that there is also secondary. If LAMANATES are primary then other than Lamanates must be secondary race as well.

Yes I would agree but as I stated earlier being called primary states that the Lamonites are the main or majority source of dependents. This is a change from what is now printed. The word "among" does not infer main or majority of. So this is a change in understanding.

When did this secondary come about? Could it be that for some time the Lamanites were the only ones here, and now, there is a secondary source because maybe, the Native Americans have been mixing with other races in the last decades?

historical records and dating of Native Americans go back farther then 630 BCE. So we know that there has been civilizations in the Americas way before the Nephites. The evidence is there, but I guess it depends how you want to explain it.

"The older you get the more you realize that truth has many different view points."-Obi-one-Kanobi

12th Jun, 2010 - 10:49pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Volume Speaks Mormon Book Change Word Single

It's just a word for heaven's sake! People can make such a big deal about things like this, the change isnt considered even doctrinal.

Post Date: 16th Jul, 2010 - 12:13am / Post ID: #

Volume Speaks Mormon Book Change Word Single

Name: Nick

Comments: Whether you may think it changes the context of the original view is not the point. The point seems to be, that every time we are confronted with opposition, rather than sticking to our guns, it seems much easier to appease the masses.

It's not the first time this has happened and certainly won't be the last.

Political correctness and science rule the day and the churches opinions of things. And science has certainly never been off the mark. So why doubt them?

Is it any wonder why so many GA's find lawyering such a suitable profession and that a secular PR firm is needed to further the cause of "pre packaged truth" if not to appease the masses?

16th Jul, 2010 - 3:26pm / Post ID: #

Single Word Change In Book Of Mormon Speaks Volume

I hear ya loud and clear Nick. I have been saying the same things for YEARS. Unfortunately, when you share it with your typical lds member they are quick to accuse you of apostate or thinking too much about conspiracy theories you know what am I saying? They're blind they just cannot see these huge changes in front of their eyes, its worrisome.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 13th Aug, 2010 - 5:33pm / Post ID: #

Single Word Change Book Mormon Speaks Volume - Page 2

Last Post removed to Mature LDS section entitled Doctrinal Changes - Where Does That Leave Me? because of content not for the Public LDS Board.

21st Dec, 2010 - 12:27am / Post ID: #

Single Word Change Book Mormon Speaks Volume Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

Hey guys I was wondering what do you all think of the recent changes of the online version of the BOM?

international QUOTE
The LDS Church has made subtle - but significant - changes to chapter headings in its online version of the faith's signature scripture, The Book of Mormon, toning down some earlier racial allusions.

The words 'skin of blackness" were removed from the introductory italicized summary in 2 Nephi, Chapter 5, in describing the "curse" God put on disbelieving Lamanites.

Deeper into the volume, in Mormon, Chapter 5, the heading changes from calling Lamanites "a dark, filthy, and loathsome people" to "because of their unbelief, the Lamanites will be scattered, and the Spirit will cease to strive with them."

In both cases, the text itself remains unchanged.

Members of the Utah-based Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints believe founder Joseph Smith unearthed a set of gold plates from a hill in upstate New York in 1827 and translated the ancient text into English. The account, known as The Book of Mormon, first published in 1830, primarily tells the story of God's dealings with two Israelite civilizations living in the New World. One derived from a single family who fled Jerusalem in 600 B.C. And eventually splintered into two groups, known as Nephites and Lamanites.

Source 9

I don't know what's going on but I'm not comfortable with these changes I find that we are more trying to be acceptable in the eyes of the world than anything else you know what am I saying?

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Single Word Change In Book Of Mormon Speaks Volume

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,