Polyglot

Polyglot - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 25th Nov, 2007 - 11:18am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 10th Nov, 2007 - 4:46am / Post ID: #

Polyglot

Polyglot

What is the meaning of the unusual word: Polyglot?

Sponsored Links:
24th Nov, 2007 - 4:37pm / Post ID: #

Polyglot

I did not look at it in the dictionary but I think a polygot is someone who is able to speak several languages.

24th Nov, 2007 - 5:16pm / Post ID: #

Polyglot UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

Yes, a person who speaks multiple languages. There is a funny ad about this where a guy, looking for a job, is asked by the interviewer if he is a polygot, and the guy is scared because he does not know what the word means. He thinks that it means polygamy and since he is so desperate for a job he replies that he will be take on more wives if necessary. laugh.gif

24th Nov, 2007 - 6:19pm / Post ID: #

Polyglot

I am almost embarrassed to say that I had never even heard the word and upon looking in the dictionary--it wasn't there. At least spelled as polygot! I did although find the following at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyglot_%28person%29:

A polyglot is someone with a high degree of proficiency in several languages.
Rather off topic, but...
A bilingual person can speak two languages fluently, a trilingual three, above that the term multilingual may be used. The word hyperpolyglot for a person who can speak six or more languages fluently is rarely used.

Also, when I ran it throught the spellchecker it went through! So I am wondering if in fact it was a typo, or if there is another word, polygot?

25th Nov, 2007 - 12:28am / Post ID: #

Polyglot

Its supposed to be polyglot. From dictionary.com:

pol·y·glot      /ˈpɒliˌglɒt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pol-ee-glot] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
-adjective
1. able to speak or write several languages; multilingual.

Alson saw these other meanings:

2. containing, composed of, or written in several languages: a polyglot Bible.
-noun
3. a mixture or confusion of languages.
4. a person who speaks, writes, or reads a number of languages.
5. a book, esp. a Bible, containing the same text in several languages.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please learn how to use the Quote Tags here. See our Constructive Posting Policy.

25th Nov, 2007 - 11:18am / Post ID: #

Polyglot

I believe Question is asking about "Polyglot" and not "Polygot", so I changed that to be reflected in his Post. Good one about the "Polygamy" reference.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

> TOPIC: Polyglot

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,