Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

30th Nov, 2007 - 12:41pm / Post ID: #

Boy Who Refused Treatment On Religious Grounds Die

Story Highlights

Dennis Lindberg, 14, was a Jehovah's Witness and a leukemia patient

A judge denied a request to force the boy to have a blood transfusion

Judge: Boy knew "he's basically giving himself a death sentence"

Boy's birth parents believed their son should have had the transfusion

Does this happen often? I am not real familiar with the Jehovah's Witness religion but I did remember they don't do blood transfusions. He must have had a very strong belief if he chose to refuse the transfusion--even knowing he could live up to another five years. I admire strong people like that, it is just sad that he died.

SEATTLE, Washington (AP) -- A few hours after a judge ruled that a 14-year-old Jehovah's Witness sick with leukemia had the right to refuse a blood transfusion that might have helped him, the boy died, a newspaper reported.

A judge said Dennis Lindberg, shown in 2005, "understands the consequences of his decision."

Dennis Lindberg died Wednesday night at Children's Hospital and Regional Medical Center, his father, Dennis Lindberg Sr., told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer.

Hospital spokeswoman Teri Thomas said she could not confirm or deny anything about the case at the request of the boy's legal guardian, his aunt Dianna Mincin.

Earlier Wednesday, Skagit County Superior Court Judge John Meyer had denied a motion by the state to force the boy to have a blood transfusion. The judge said the eighth-grader knew "he's basically giving himself a death sentence."

"I don't believe Dennis' decision is the result of any coercion. He is mature and understands the consequences of his decision," the judge said during the hearing.

"I don't think Dennis is trying to commit suicide. This isn't something Dennis just came upon, and he believes with the transfusion he would be unclean and unworthy."

Doctors had given Dennis a 70 percent chance of surviving the next five years with the transfusions and other treatment, the judge added.

Sponsored Links:
30th Nov, 2007 - 1:25pm / Post ID: #

Die Grounds Religious Treatment Refused Boy

I think this is such a sad story. I do not think the Judge was right in letting the boy to decide by himself in such a serious matter, the kid was only 14 years old. Then, I assume his parents were from the same religion so probably would have made little or no difference.

30th Nov, 2007 - 11:21pm / Post ID: #

Boy Who Refused Treatment On Religious Grounds Die Health & Special Psychology

Actually, in reading the article I think they were NOT of the same religion. This quote came from the same link:

However, his birth parents, Lindberg and Rachel Wherry, who do not have custody and flew from Boise, Idaho, to be at the hearing, believed their son should have had the transfusion and suggested he had been unduly influenced by his aunt, who is also a Jehovah's Witness.

The aunt had custody though NOT the parents. I think I remember reading as well that the father did end up thinking it was the right choice because they thought he suffered brain damage. It is such a hard thing to decide. I am thankful I have never had to make any kind of choice like that. I know my son who is 14 would definitely have a say on how he felt about living up to another 5 years suffering--on the other hand I would not be the one to suggest it as an option.

> TOPIC: Boy Who Refused Treatment On Religious Grounds Die

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,