Utah Is The Most Depressed State In The USA

Utah Depressed State Usa - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 11th Feb, 2008 - 9:36pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Utah is the most depressed state in the entire country. A nationwide study released by Mental Health America ranks Utah high in depression and low in treatment of the illness.
2nd Dec, 2007 - 9:40pm / Post ID: #

What is going on in Utah that makes it the most depressed state in the whole country? What do you think?

This study is certainly a wake-up call for Utahns and our mental health care system. It examined levels of depression in each state and outcomes for those who sought treatment.

A local psychologist says he thinks mental health counseling should be more accessible in Utah. "I think, because of the economy and what not, a lot of our local mental health programs are cutting back on their staffs for lack of money. It's sad," Dr. Wil Higashi said.

The survey claims that Utah has the highest percentage of people reporting unmet health needs. Utah ranks in the bottom 10 states for its shortage of psychiatrists and outpatient clinics. The study suggests more can be done to break down treatment barriers that are associated with high rates of depression.

Higashi also believes another reason for Utah's high depression rate is the massive involvement in structured religions. "All religions make people feel guilty if they're not performing to the teachings of their church and their religion, and that causes a lot of depression too. Guilt is a big one," he explained...

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 4th Dec, 2007 - 5:31pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

USA The State Depressed The Utah

I would agree that religion breeds guilt, but its not like Utah is the only religious state, or even the most religious, though it is up there. But the high amount of people with unmet health needs has to be telling. Less people are getting the care they need, and this seems like it would necessarily lead to less healthy people and thus more cases of depression. I wonder if there are higher cases of other health problems in the state as well.

Post Date: 11th Feb, 2008 - 9:36pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Utah Is The Most Depressed State In The USA Health & Special Psychology

Guilt, Shmilt.

Not to imply that guilt does not play a role, but it's very true that there are plenty of other religious places that don't suffer from a surfeit of depression. And LDS doctrine is a much less 'guilt inducing' doctrine than many.

I think perhaps that a bigger contribution is one of self-reliance and surprise.

I suffered through a horrible depression several years back. The hardest part was actually coming to the realization that I was depressed. I had a major challenge, true, but I am still exceptionally blessed in my life. So I don't have the right to be depressed? Right? Wrong. I couldn't seek help until I accepted the idea that I could be depressed despite my blessings, and that I could recognize my blessings and still be depressed.

A conundrum, eh?

So I can't help but wonder if all the Utahans who are depressed react like I did--with denial.

> TOPIC: Utah Is The Most Depressed State In The USA

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,