Lds Secularism Fight - Page 2 of 2

QUOTE It starts by opening the way and letting - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 21st Dec, 2007 - 2:45am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
21st Dec, 2007 - 2:45am / Post ID: #

Lds Secularism Fight - Page 2

It starts by opening the way and letting 'them' know that if they get to have their prayers then everyone else is also allowed to have their own as well.

Yes but the reality is that the neo-conservative evangelical movement does not want to give others the right to pray and they see fit. remember 3 months ago when a Hindu priest gave a prayer to open congress, their republican representatives and lobbyist protested and disrespected him and said because he was not Christian he did not deserve to pray in congress. That is some freedom of prayer they preach. The point is they want prayer in school as long as it it there way of praying.  Next time your with them ask then if you can pray a Mormon prayer and see that they say. By keeping prayer out of school we are protecting those who do pray, or believe like the majority. Thus we are not forcing them to show how they pray or believe unless they decide to show it to others. Being a Mormon I do not have to worry about being forced to pray or prescribe to a evangelical view to fit in. I do not have to worry about being criticized in public because I may pray or believe different. as Thomas Jefferson said " You cannot impose your your own religious beliefs on others." thus by having prayer in schools you may be passing laws that might interfere with religious freedom, because it will be the majority's version of Christianity that is prayed or spoken.  If you think that a Mormon prayer or teaching would be allowed in an Alabama school your are fooling yourself. This is the intent of the 1st amendment according to Thomas Jefferson.

Secularism is a natural fruit of Christianity and the atonement. (read Rene Girard for more on this idea. Now with that said I do not think that secularism does not need or trump Christianity in any way. Obviously Christianity is the way the truth and the light)  I do not think that secularism is intent on moving all religion out of public life. It has been my experience that they do not believe this nor think that it can be done. I think that what most secularist argue for ( and I agree) is the compulsive influence of religion. Meaning that religion should not be the litmus test or final word on public policy or correctness. Simply because when used incorrectly (like the republican party uses Christianity) can exclude and demonize others and there beliefs.  Religions that hold great political power tend to exclude and oppress those who do not ft there expectations and standards.

I am a firm believer in everyone has the free agency to choose their own way. I'm very thankful to be surrounded by those that have chosen to live as close to God as the governmental laws allow in a public forum.

exactly, and when religion is given power and a strong influence in a public setting it tends to limit these choices. It is more then just given people choices, it is also validating there options and decisions. Trust me A evangelical may never take your right to pray but they would never legitimize your prayer or your religious decisions.

Sponsored Links:
+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Lds Secularism Fight

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,