What Is Thy Name?

What Thy Name - The Bible Revealed - Posted: 21st Dec, 2007 - 6:05pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Mark 5:9
Legion: for we are many...
Post Date: 18th Dec, 2007 - 4:21am / Post ID: #

What Is Thy Name?

What Is Thy Name?

Is there a significant reason for Jesus asking the name of the man/ spirits?

Mark 5:9 - And he asked him, What is thy name? And he answered, saying, My name is Legion: for we are many.

What Is Thy Name?
What Is Thy Name? (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 19th Dec, 2007 - 2:20am / Post ID: #

What Is Thy Name?
A Friend

Name Thy What

I think it was just to identify who the spirits were? I think this was only intent.

19th Dec, 2007 - 2:22am / Post ID: #

What Is Thy Name? Revealed Bible The

Why do they need an identity? It is clear that from the response there were too many of them to even be identified. I also considered that maybe Jesus was really asking the man his name for the exorcism, but to show how overpowered he was the demons answered instead.

19th Dec, 2007 - 6:51pm / Post ID: #

Name Thy What

Now perhaps one more versed then I can fill in some of the blanks, in my thoughts. From what I have read and studied and spoke of to my minister on possessions or casting out of demons there are cautions to have.

If the demon leaves it is far from dead and certainly is not about to return to the one who caste it into our domain. So if you chase out a spirit where will it go? Into another or perhaps it will attack your self.

To prevent this it is to my best understanding that you must command it where to go upon being removed from the person it is now in. Not to mention asking for divine protection.

To complete this task would one not need to know the name of the thing you are trying to command? Also it is a common thought that they have ranks of power so to know the name is to know what efforts you must take. I am unsure why the casting into the pigs that then were killed. I question if this was not an attempt of legion to make his return home appear not to be his own doing or perhaps a passage of release for the unclean spirit to a better place though I doubt it.

But that thought is not backed up by Mark 1:21-28 where he just commanded the evil spirt to leave and it did. Was legion more powerful thus requiring a different process or was it because Jesus could see the evil spirit in Mark1. Where legion was many and he could not identify thus not send the unclean spirts back.

21st Dec, 2007 - 6:05pm / Post ID: #

Name Thy What

I have never thought about this until now. I feel what the person above me sounds correct but it will be nice to get more information.

> TOPIC: What Is Thy Name?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,