Mormons & Nag Hammadi

Mormons Nag Hammadi - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 19th Dec, 2007 - 2:08am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

LDS Position
18th Dec, 2007 - 4:41am / Post ID: #

Mormons & Nag Hammadi

Mormons & Nag Hammadi

What are your thoughts about the Nag Hammadi? Has there been any official statement about it from the Brethren?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 19th Dec, 2007 - 1:45am / Post ID: #

Mormons & Nag Hammadi
A Friend

Hammadi Nag and Mormons

A while back I had a chance to read the Nag Hammadi and enjoyed it. I have not seen anything by the Brethern on it. I believe that Joseph Smiths Statement concerning the Apocryphal writings would fit this perfectly.

God told Joseph Smith in Section 91,

Verily, thus saith the Lord unto you concerning the Apocrypha-There are many things contained therein that are true, and it is mostly translated correctly; There are many things contained therein that are not true, which are interpolations by the hands of men.  Verily, I say unto you, that it is not needful that the Apocrypha should be translated.  Therefore, whoso readeth it, let him understand, for the Spirit manifesteth truth;  And whoso is enlightened by the Spirit shall obtain benefit therefrom; And whoso receiveth not by the Spirit, cannot be benefited. Therefore it is not needful that it should be translated. Amen.

I believe this can be applied with all of the writings that have been found recently and ones that will be found.

Reconcile Edited: Zelph on 19th Dec, 2007 - 1:46am

19th Dec, 2007 - 1:54am / Post ID: #

Mormons & Nag Hammadi Studies Doctrine Mormon

The problem with the Nag Hammadi is that many believe that it was written by others (not the authors of the books) who wanted to distort or take Christianity into a certain direction.

Post Date: 19th Dec, 2007 - 2:00am / Post ID: #

Mormons & Nag Hammadi
A Friend

Hammadi Nag and Mormons

This is true. There are those who say the same thing about the Bible. I think that if we use the spirit we will find the truths in the messages, despite the author.

19th Dec, 2007 - 2:08am / Post ID: #

Hammadi Nag and Mormons

There are points in the documents which are questionable. It seems that in the Nag Hammadi the role of certain women like Mary Magdalene are placed above that of the authority of the Apostles. Some also say that the way the Nag Hammadi makes everything look as though the Apostles conspired to hide the authority of Women of the time and placed the Apostles as the major leaders of Christianity because they were jealous.

> TOPIC: Mormons & Nag Hammadi

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,