Eyes Can't Resist Beautiful People

Eyes Can' T Resist Beautiful People - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 3rd Oct, 2007 - 8:50pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Whether we’re looking for someone to date or sizing up a potential rival, our eyes irresistibly lock on to good-looking people, a new study finds.
18th Sep, 2007 - 8:36pm / Post ID: #

Eyes Can't Resist Beautiful People

I find some of these studies hilarious when they make statements such as:

"If we"re interested in finding a mate, our attention gets quickly and automatically stuck on attractive members of the opposite sex," explained study leader Jon Maner of the University of Florida.

spock.gif Well...isn't that obvious?

Anyhow...food for thought. Does your eyes stuck on attractive or unattractive people? *smile*

Whether we"re looking for someone to date or sizing up a potential rival, our eyes irresistibly lock on to good-looking people, a new study finds.
ADVERTISEMENT

Participants, all heterosexual men and women, fixated on highly attractive people within the first half-second of seeing them. Single folks ogled the opposite sex, of course. But those in committed relationships more often eyed beautiful people of the same sex.

"If we"re interested in finding a mate, our attention gets quickly and automatically stuck on attractive members of the opposite sex," explained study leader Jon Maner of the University of Florida. "If we"re jealous and worried about our partner cheating on us, attention gets quickly and automatically stuck on attractive people of our own sex because they are our competitors."

Maner's research is based on the idea that evolution has primed our brains to subconsciously latch on to signs of physical attractiveness in others, both to find a mate and to guard him or her from potential competitors.

But this evolutionary trick is not without potential romantic peril. Even some people in committed relationships had trouble tearing their eyes away from attractive members of the opposite sex. On the other hand, fixating on attractive people of the same sex as rivals could contribute to feelings of insecurity.

Maner found that men prone to jealousy kept a close eye on attractive potential rivals.

"When it comes to concerns about infidelity, men are very attentive to highly attractive guys because presumably their wives or girlfriends may be too," he said.

Maner's experiments, which flashed pictures of attractive men and women and average-looking men and women in front of participants and measured the time it took to shift their attention away from the image, surprisingly showed little difference between the sexes....

Sponsored Links:
25th Sep, 2007 - 9:18pm / Post ID: #

People Beautiful Resist Cant Eyes

QUOTE (LDS_forever @ 18-Sep 07, 12:36 PM)
Maner's research is based on the idea that evolution has primed our brains to subconsciously latch on to signs of physical attractiveness in others, both to find a mate and to guard him or her from potential competitors.

I definitely agee that the first quote was obvious.

As for the study, it made me recall growing up as I was NOT one that caught anyones eye unless I was being pointed out to make fun of. Not the best esteem going on there....but as I grew inside and the years went by I had a lot of good friends who loved me for WHO I was and not what I looked like by high school.

Participants, all heterosexual men and women, fixated on highly attractive people within the first half-second of seeing them.

I know we are built with those feelings but are we not also built with the capacity to be kind and compassionate? Are we not also built to want to have relationships that last? The ironic thing is we usually develop them about the time our kids are starting to date. wink.gif

I love the following quote although the author is anonymous

Love at first site is easy to understand.  It is when two people have been looking at each other for forty years that it becomes a miracle."

And please don't take this as I don't think many, many people find love at first site AND it lasts. It does happen!

26th Sep, 2007 - 2:38pm / Post ID: #

Eyes Can't Resist Beautiful People Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

This Manor could have saved a fortune and a load of time just by watching an average teen for about 30 seconds at a pool. I was always more prone to the ladies that did not stick out in the crowd, even in school my eyes would skim the glamour girls and rest on a lady with natural looks and a light in her eye.

I did find it interesting that people paid the same attention to the attractive of both sexes. Seems our paranoid tendency id as great as our will to seek a mate. Are we subconsciously seeking a mate and a friend?

3rd Oct, 2007 - 8:50pm / Post ID: #

People Beautiful Resist Cant Eyes

Well duh! Since that is breaking news I will add that its not only the eyes as a part of the body that seems to notice!

> TOPIC: Eyes Can't Resist Beautiful People

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,