The Stanford Experiment

The Stanford Experiment - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 14th Jan, 2008 - 4:45pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

The Study of EVIL - Prof. Zimbardo
13th Jan, 2008 - 12:22am / Post ID: #

The Stanford Experiment

The Stanford Experiment

What do you think about The Stanford Experiment where 'evil' was studied using prisoners (three to a cell). The guards were told to wear shades all time. Already by the second day the prisoners rebelled, blocking doors and so forth. What did the guards do about it? Read the event: https://www.prisonexp.org/

Consider this:

* Is a hurricane that destroys a whole village - evil?
* Does a tiger that comes into a village and attack and eat a child - evil?

Your answer is probably "no". Maybe in the sense of a writer being descriptive "yes", but either way we will not view the above as 'evil' in the same like of Ted Bundy or Adolph Hitler, because we need the element of choice. In other words the person must choose to do some evil act.

Psychologists / Psychiatrists are trying to determine if there is something within the brain that 'causes' someone to become 'evil'.

Sponsored Links:
14th Jan, 2008 - 1:33am / Post ID: #

Experiment Stanford The

I think the experiment has several interesting aspects to it, however I was particularly intrigued by something I read about the experiment elsewhere, which states that the project leader offered each of the "prisoners" parole as a forfeit for their payments for participating in the project, which they accepted. Their parole applications were then turned down, but they were told they were still not getting paid for the experiment. Not one of the prisoners left however, despite there being no financial incentive for them to stay. The experiment coordinator concluded that this was because they had adapted to the role of prisoners, and saw themselves as prisoners in their own minds.

This interested me, because I couldn't help but think that this situation is remarkably similar to Stockholm Syndrome. It seems almost unthinkable, yet I suppose in a way it shows just how unpredictable the human mind can be.

14th Jan, 2008 - 1:41am / Post ID: #

The Stanford Experiment Health & Special Psychology

I did not pick that up from what I got about the Stanford Experiment in a documentary, but what they did emphasize was that the offices and the warden (Prof. Zimbardo) became sadistic in their ability to force control over the prisoners. It was only after a former student of Prof. Zimbardo came in to examine the project did she keep repeating to him to stop.

Basically, anyone can become sadistic if they are given the environment to become such. This is evident in the Iraqi prisons too (handled in another Thread). Prof. Zimbardo also recognized that people in such roles are able to live double lives, for instance, they can be sadistic with the prisoners and then go home and be loving towards their families. The next day they return and become sadistic again. This may explain why serial killers are able to blend into public roles easily.

14th Jan, 2008 - 2:03am / Post ID: #

Experiment Stanford The

I do agree with all that, I was just pointing out a little observation that I had made separate to that, based on reading a description of the experiment a while back. I do agree however that the experiment shows exactly how people can change their personality depending on their setting. You gave the example of the serial killer, who can commit such a horrendous crime, yet perhaps still blend into society, this is very similar to situations which occurred during the Second World War, where Nazi soliders were being awful during the day, but then returning home as loving fathers and husbands in the evening. One such explanation for this is highlighted in the conclusion for the Stanford experiment, however another experiment (The Milgram Experiment) suggests another slightly different hypothesis; that perhaps the reason for this change in character is because some people don't have the evil in them at all, but due to the nature of their characters, can readily fulfil evil and atrocious acts, due to being told to. This is perhaps for a separate thread however smile.gif

14th Jan, 2008 - 2:16am / Post ID: #

Experiment Stanford The

I do wonder if all of us really have such a breaking point or if it is just a willful choice to give into a current social trend? In the Stanford Experiment it was a group vs. a group, were it one against one would the results have been the same?

Ant, please do start a new Thread about the The Milgram Experiment, I am interested in the details.

14th Jan, 2008 - 2:59am / Post ID: #

The Stanford Experiment

What I find fascinating is how quickly the mind adapts to the situation, how a simple thing like wearing a "dress" uniform causes men to behave differently *immediately*. And, finally, how the professor himself became so involved in the drama that he forgot his own objectiveness in the study. Incredible how the human mind works.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
14th Jan, 2008 - 11:21am / Post ID: #

The Stanford Experiment

QUOTE (FarSeer @ 13-Jan 08, 9:59 PM)
how a simple thing like wearing a "dress" uniform causes men to behave differently *immediately*.

It is because of this very reason that Armed Forces worldwide wear uniforms. Not because uniforms make people evil, but because the wearing of a uniform inevitably changes ones mindset, and causes them to act in a different way to how they otherwise would, bringing them together in a sense of uniformity.

14th Jan, 2008 - 4:45pm / Post ID: #

The Stanford Experiment Psychology Special & Health

I wonder if those who wear Nazi role-playing uniforms for active game play would after awhile become sympathetic towards the Nazis. We had a Member (now deleted) who was like this.

> TOPIC: The Stanford Experiment

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,