True Repentance

True Repentance - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 23rd May, 2014 - 7:45pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Repent - Repentant
Post Date: 17th Aug, 2007 - 10:22pm / Post ID: #

True Repentance

Repentance

"I will speak briefly of the principle of repentance. How grateful I am for the understanding we have of this great principle. It is not a harsh principle, as I thought when I was a boy. It is kind and merciful. The Hebrew root of the word means, simply, 'to turn,' or to return, to God. Jehovah pled with the children of Israel: 'Return. .. And I will not cause mine anger to fall upon you: for I am merciful. .. And I will not keep anger for ever. Only acknowledge thine iniquity, that thou hast transgressed against the Lord thy God' (Jeremiah 3:12-13). "When we acknowledge our sins, confess them and forsake them, and turn to God, He will forgive us."

(Richard G. Hinckley, "Repentance, a Blessing of Membership," Ensign, May 2006, 49)

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 26th Nov, 2007 - 6:31pm / Post ID: #

Repentance True

"Each of us needs to repent to some degree or another. To repent means to make the real changes in your life the Savior desires you to make for your happiness. Repentance is the great enabling principle of the gospel: when your faith in the Lord causes personal change, such action on your part, as Helaman states, 'bringeth [you] unto the power of the Redeemer, unto the salvation of [your] souls' (Helaman 5:11). As you seek to change, remember that our loving Savior, as Alma states, has 'all power to save every man that believeth on his name and bringeth forth fruit meet for repentance' (Alma 12:15). This is powerful, liberating, hope-filled doctrine!"
Ref. (Marcus B. Nash, "The Great Plan of Happiness," Ensign, Nov. 2006, 50)

Post Date: 24th Dec, 2007 - 11:51am / Post ID: #

True Repentance Studies Doctrine Mormon

"[The] will to go forward toward our Savior sometimes requires on-the-spot repentance. It's recognizing we've made mistakes or haven't done what we could to encourage or help someone. These personal course corrections in thought, action, or word are essential for all who desire to come unto Christ. They represent individual choices about how we will touch each other literally and figuratively."
(Anne C. Pingree, "To Look, Reach, and Come unto Christ," Ensign, Nov. 2006, 114)

2nd Mar, 2008 - 1:52am / Post ID: #

Repentance True

Just a question for the purpose of discussion: If you commit a sin and repented (let's say adultery or stealing) and you get yourself involved with that particular sin again, does it mean you never truly repented in the first place?

Post Date: 16th Jan, 2011 - 12:14pm / Post ID: #

Repentance True

Repentance

This Thread will be used to examine the Mormon interpretation for the word(s) / name(s) called "Repentance" from the scriptures. What does Repentance mean in the literal sense and in scripture as Mormons know it?

Mormon definition of Repentance.

3rd Apr, 2014 - 2:10am / Post ID: #

True Repentance

The truly repentant will never return to that same sin, if they do it will be as if they would of never repented.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 3rd Apr, 2014 - 6:10pm / Post ID: #

True Repentance

Name: KimB

Comments: Uh-oh, if this is true, then we're all in serious trouble. God does not delight in daily transgression and daily repentance. We should repent(By confessing and forsaking) all of our sins at once. Then strive with all our might not to commit sin again. The Lord is merciful, though and He knows our weakness. If we do fall into transgression again we must quickly repent again, thereby RETAINING a remission of sins.I can also make a promise to you that if you do not KNOW WITHOUT A DOUBT that your sins are forgiven, THEY ARE NOT. Read " Experiencing the Mighty Change" and "Have You Spiritually Been Born of God?" for more light on this subject. They are wonderful books.

Post Date: 23rd May, 2014 - 7:45pm / Post ID: #

True Repentance Mormon Doctrine Studies

"The individual effect of the atonement makes it possible for any and every soul to obtain absolution from the effect of personal sins, through the mediation of Christ; but such saving intercession is to be invoked by individual effort as manifested through faith, repentance, and continued works of righteousness. The laws under which individual salvation is obtainable have been prescribed by Christ, whose right it is to say how the blessings made possible by His own sacrifice shall be administered. All men are in need of the Savior's mediation, for all are transgressors"¦.That the blessing of redemption from individual sins, while open for all to attain, is nevertheless conditioned on individual effort, is as plainly declared as is the truth of unconditional redemption from death as an effect of the fall. There is a judgment ordained for all, and all will be judged 'according to their works.' The free agency of man enables him to choose or reject, to follow the path of life or the road that leads to destruction; therefore it is but just that he be held to answer for the exercise of his power of choice and that he meet the results of his acts."

(Talmage, Articles of Faith, pp. 89-90.)

> TOPIC: True Repentance

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,