Lap Band System

Lap Band System - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 6th Mar, 2008 - 6:27pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Lap Band System
Post Date: 6th Mar, 2008 - 4:46pm / Post ID: #

Lap Band System

Lap Band System

What do you think about the new Lap Band System where a ring is placed over the top part of your stomach to control eating habits?

Keywords: Lap-Band, LapBand

Lap Band System
Lap Band System (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 6th Mar, 2008 - 4:58pm / Post ID: #

Lap Band System
A Friend

System Band Lap

I think this would be a nice thing for those who can not control themselves. Also this can cause infection and other problems due to it being inside with a cord that leads outside the body. Plus you have to have surgery to get it installed and removed. I think you need to really think about this before going under the knife. Being an elective surgery most insurance probably will not cover it.

6th Mar, 2008 - 5:16pm / Post ID: #

Lap Band System Health & Special Psychology

This really has to be an extreme measure and even though it is not advertised as a gastric bypass maneuver having a foreign object within your system has to have serious side effects. The question will be is that worth it?

6th Mar, 2008 - 5:42pm / Post ID: #

System Band Lap

For extreme cases maybe it is a solution but mostly I think the same monies would be better spent on reforming bad eating habits with good ones. As well as better lifestyle choices, if true life long changes are to be made. I agree the plastic is a toxin and will likely have a longterm effect on a persons body. Though I am unsure the tube sticking out would be a real issue for infection. The body will heal to prevent this. After all they do steel implants into the bone for amputees now and they stick out of the bone and skin and the infection worries has not been validated there.

6th Mar, 2008 - 5:50pm / Post ID: #

System Band Lap

That is right - control, but some people do not have control and it is actually a disease. Similar to an alcoholic, but just with food. I 've found that natural habits are very hard t break because you always indulge in them, in other words you always will have to eat so the temptation is always there to eat just a bit more.

Now here are the risks!

QUOTE (From their web site)
Using the LAP-BAND® System includes the same risks that come with all major surgeries. There are also added risks in any operation for patients who are seriously overweight. You should know that death is one of the risks. It can occur any time during the operation. It can also occur as a result of the operation. Death can occur despite all the precautions that are taken. There is a risk of gastric perforation (a tear in the stomach wall) during or after the procedure that might lead to the need for another surgery. In the U.S. clinical study this happened in 1% of the patients. There were no deaths during or immediately after surgery in the U.S. study. Your age can increase your risk from surgery. So can excess weight. Certain diseases, whether they were caused by obesity or not, can increase your risk from surgery. There are also risks that come with the medications and the methods used in the surgical procedure. You also have risks that come from how your body responds to any foreign object implanted in it. Published results from past surgeries, however, indicate that LAP-BAND® System surgery may have fewer risks than other surgical treatments for obesity.

Patients can experience complications after surgery. Most complications are not serious but some may require hospitalization and/or re-operation. In the United States clinical study, with 3-year follow-up reported, 88% of the 299 patients had one or more adverse events, ranging from mild, moderate, to severe. Nausea and vomiting (51%), gastroesophageal reflux (regurgitation) (34%), band slippage/pouch dilatation (24%) and stoma obstruction (stomach-band outlet blockage) (14%) were the most common post-operative complications. In the study, 25% of the patients had their band systems removed, two-thirds of which were following adverse events. Esophageal dilatation or dysmotility (poor esophageal function) occurred in 11% of patients, the long-term effects of which are currently unknown. Constipation, diarrhea and dysphagia (difficulty swallowing) occurred in 9% of the patients. In 9% of the patients, a second surgery was needed to fix a problem with the band or initial surgery. In 9% of the patients, there was an additional procedure to fix a leaking or twisted access port. The access port design has been improved. Four out of 299 patients (1.3%) had their bands erode into their stomachs. These bands needed to be removed in a second operation. Surgical techniques have evolved to reduce slippage. Surgeons with more laparoscopic experience and more experience with these procedures report fewer complications.

Adverse events that were considered to be non-serious, and which occurred in less than 1% of the patients, included: esophagitis (inflammation of the esophagus), gastritis (inflammation of the stomach), hiatal hernia (some stomach above thediaphragm), pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas), abdominal pain, hernia, incisional hernia, infection, redundant skin, dehydration, diarrhea (frequent semi-solid bowel movements), abnormal stools, constipation, flatulence (gas), dyspepsia (upset stomach), eructation (belching), cardiospasm (an obstruction of passage of food through the bottom of the esophagus), hematemsis (vomiting of blood), asthenia (fatigue), fever, chest pain, incision pain, contact dermatitis (rash), abnormal healing, edema (swelling), paresthesia (abnormal sensation of burning, prickly, or tingling), dysmenorrhea (difficult periods), hypochromic anemia (low oxygen carrying part of blood), band system leak, cholecystitis (gall stones), esophageal ulcer (sore), port displacement, port site pain, spleen injury, and wound infection. Be sure to ask your surgeon about these possible complications and any of these medical terms that you dont understand.

Post Date: 6th Mar, 2008 - 6:12pm / Post ID: #

Lap Band System
A Friend

Lap Band System

All of that no matter how minor sounds too risky for me. I agree that you should consult your doctor about other methods before trying this.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
6th Mar, 2008 - 6:17pm / Post ID: #

Lap Band System

You know I have found that most people suffering with extreme obesity have already given up, so they see this as the last straw because if they do not do this they will die anyway from heart disease.

6th Mar, 2008 - 6:27pm / Post ID: #

Lap Band System Psychology Special & Health

Good gravy! I bet infection might be the nicer alteration of that list. but yes it is better then death if one is already that far gone.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Lap Band System

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,