Barcode For Patients

Barcode Patients - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 10th Mar, 2008 - 5:22pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

New Zealand No more mishaps
Post Date: 10th Mar, 2008 - 12:02am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Barcode For Patients

Barcode system to curb medical mishaps

New Zealand's public hospitals will begin barcoding patients, medicines and staff in three years as part of a Health Ministry plan to reduce medical misadventure.
Ref. https://www.stuff.co.nz/4433284a28.html

Sponsored Links:
10th Mar, 2008 - 2:22am / Post ID: #

Patients Barcode

There is always a way to bypass the system. In this case, someone actually has to remember to read the barcode. If not, nothing is logged. However, I do like the intention and the result would likely be less mistakes and that is important.

Rather off topic, but...
My mother was in the hospital a few years back for bypass surgery and installation of a mechanical heart valve. The surgery went well and she was up and walking the very next day (shocked me as I thought it was all bed rest after that surgery). But 3 days after the surgery she nearly died, had to be rescusetated and had her stomach pumped (this was the give away as to what happened). No one will admit it as it doesnt show on any records and the hospital really didnt want to talk about it much because of fear of a lawsuit, but it was obvious that they gave my mother a overdose of painkillers by accident. Her heart basically stopped. Finding out what time all this happened and asking when shift change was it was pretty obvious that someone gave her the medication at the end of one shift and forgot to record it...the next shift came on and saw she had not received any medication and gave her another dose. Luckily, they realized what they did wrong in time and fixed it.

So, if this barcoding can work well or make it more difficult for the above to happen, the I am all for it.

Post Date: 10th Mar, 2008 - 4:05pm / Post ID: #

Barcode For Patients
A Friend

Barcode For Patients Health & Special Psychology

So let me get this right. We want to add bar codes to everyone so they are sure to have the right person and the right meds at all times? IS this like making everyone as to send a clear signal that the end of time is close at hand? How long before everyone is registered with a barcode? Is it going to lead us to a cashless society? To get stuff are we just going to have to swipe our barcode across the scanner so big brother knows our every move at all times?

If the employees are so under trained they can not read a simple chart them maybe additional training is required so these mistakes do not happen in the first place.

10th Mar, 2008 - 5:22pm / Post ID: #

Patients Barcode

Yes I think more care and a better system in any hospital would be great. Mistakes happen as the staff is over worked and tired at the end of the shift. Perhaps more staff is a better answer after all wealth it is swiping a bracelet, toe tag bar code or checking a box with a pen if one is too tired and distracted it will just happen again.

> TOPIC: Barcode For Patients

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,