Missionaries Allegedly Damage Catholic Shrine

- Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 22nd Mar, 2008 - 12:39pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

10th Mar, 2008 - 12:15am / Post ID: #

What a shame! What an irresponsible behavior! Interesting enough, in my years in the Church I have seen missionaries (through pictures, MANY times) mocking the Catholic Church in many ways (having pics of Joseph Smith with lighted candles and them praying, etc) An absolute lack of respect. And these are the people who are representing us? Don't tell me I am being too harsh or that they are just "boys". They are not. They are Priesthood holders!

SAN LUIS, Colo. - Members of the Sangre de Christo parish of the Roman Catholic Church voted Sunday to pursue criminal charges against three Mormon missionaries who allegedly vandalized a shrine and committed sacrilegious acts in the church.

Although the incidents occurred in 2006, they only came to the attention of the parish when they were seen on the Internet site ''Photobucket."
    Alonzo Payne, a parishioner and lawyer, said he was asking the Costilla County Sheriff to pursue charges on behalf of the parish.

Sheriff's Cpl. Scott Powell told the Pueblo Chieftain that the men, who were not identified, could face up to six charges, including felonies for criminal mischief and conspiracy.

Robert Fotheringham, in charge of the LDS church's missionary program in parts of four states, and whose region includes the San Luis Valley, declined to release names of the missionaries. He confirmed the three missionaries seen in the photos, which have been removed from the Internet, were Mormon missionaries. He said they would be disciplined, though he declined to go into detail.

''We're just mortified this has happened. This is not what we're about," he said.
    The Internet photos showed the three vandalizing the Shrine of the Mexican Martyrs in 2006 and mocking the Roman Catholic faith.

One missionary was seen holding the severed head of a statue. The head was found and restored.

Another photo showed a missionary appearing to preach from the Book of Mormon inside the Chapel of All Saints. A third photo showed one missionary pretending to sacrifice another on the altar at the Shrine of the Mexican Martyrs.

Members of the parish built the Shrine of the Mexican Martyrs, which has become a tourist attraction. No damage estimate was available.

''What they did was extremely imprudent, extremely uncharitable and inflammatory," the Rev. Pat Valdez told parishioners at a meeting Friday night. ''You have worked hard and this whole community has worked hard to build that shrine as an expression of our faith and an expression of our love of God."

Fotheringham, meanwhile, met with parishioners to deliver a written apology from one of the three missionaries, signed by an R. Thompson.

''I realize that my companions and I have made a mockery of that which is most sacred to many of the residents of San Luis and the rest of the world. I should have known better because I have seen many of the same types of blasphemies made against my own church and I have been appalled," the statement said.

In a separate statement, LDS church authorities wrote that "those who were involved in this incident" face church discipline....

Sponsored Links:
10th Mar, 2008 - 4:17am / Post ID: #

Shrine Catholic Damage Allegedly Missionaries

This is a sad situation indeed. It is a good example of how our actions as individuals can affect the church as a whole. I read a few of the comments listed and thought one had a good point. It said that it hoped the church took into consideration that there was no repentance put forth. They did not confess to it but they were rather accussed of it.

It just brings a thought to my mind that I have had before and that is...why do younger people do things like this and then broadcast them to the world? You would hope after serving a mission that they would feel bad but if they posted them online they obviously thought it was still funny.

Rather off topic, but...
The other thought I had, was that some missionaries go because they "have" to or similar reasons, not because they WANT to. I know raising the bar helps to alleviate most of those like that but there are still many. I personally think that to send a missionary out who does not want to go or does not have a testimony is more harmful than "hoping" they see the big picture while they are out there.

Post Date: 11th Mar, 2008 - 11:38am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Missionaries Allegedly Damage Catholic Shrine Studies Doctrine Mormon

LDS Church apologizes to Catholics

The LDS Church issued a strongly worded statement Monday apologizing to the Roman Catholic Church for the actions of some of its missionaries in Colorado. "Leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints were dismayed this weekend to learn of the insensitivity and disrespect shown to religious artifacts of the Sangre de Cristo Catholic Church in San Luis, Colorado, and that Latter-day Saint missionaries were evidently responsible during their missionary service in 2006," said Bruce Olsen, managing director of the church's public affairs department.
Ref. https://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695260598,00.html

11th Mar, 2008 - 11:51am / Post ID: #

You know, stupidity has also its consequences as shown in this case. All of them will face disciplinary action and the only missionary who was still serving in that area, his mission has been terminated. No joke. I just wonder though, is it possible to change the status of have served an "honorable" mission?

21st Mar, 2008 - 7:39pm / Post ID: #

I think many missionaries know a story on their mission of someone doing something stupid like this.

Even if this only happens say .001 percent of the time, with 50,000 missionaries being out in the field, it is still too much (about 50 missionaries).

I do not think this is an excommunicable offense, but some stigma should exist for people who disrespect other peoples religion.

21st Mar, 2008 - 8:49pm / Post ID: #

I know most times missionaries remain clueless about news and media issues. Our missionaries were totally aware of this incident. I don't know if they would of heard it from home or if they did a special meeting to discuss it and how inappropriate it was and to think of the repercussions it may have--both to the church and themselves. I am glad they are aware of it and hope that at least most thoughts of action such as these will NOT be carried through.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
22nd Mar, 2008 - 12:39pm / Post ID: #

I hope the compassion the Catholic Church have just shown can be an experience to learn from for all the missionaries around the world as well as members.

Forgiving Catholics ask that LDS missionaries not be charged in shrine incident.

An investigation that likely would have led to criminal charges against three LDS Church missionaries has been stopped.

Cpl. Scott Powell, the investigating officer in charge of this Colorado case, confirmed Friday morning that the Costilla County Sheriff's Office will not continue looking into the actions of three missionaries who allegedly mocked the Catholic church and vandalized a holy shrine in San Luis.

The San Luis Parish council took a vote and recommended Thursday afternoon that no charges be filed against the missionaries. This recommendation came after Bishop Arthur Tafoya of the Pueblo diocese issued an Easter letter on Tuesday asking Catholics to forgive.

Powell would "not elaborate on what those charges would have been, whether they would have been misdemeanors or felonies," but he said based on what he was discovering, charges "very easily could have been brought" against the three young men.

"It's moot at this point," he said. "When that recommendation came from the church, everything stopped."

> TOPIC: Missionaries Allegedly Damage Catholic Shrine

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,