Down Syndrome Child Undergo Cosmetic Surgery

- Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 10th Mar, 2008 - 9:48pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

The parents of a girl with Down syndrome have caused a public outcry in the U.K. by subjecting their daughter to cosmetic surgery to improve her appearance.
10th Mar, 2008 - 7:18pm / Post ID: #

Down Syndrome Child Undergo Cosmetic Surgery

What is your opinion about these parents? Do you really think they are trying to help their kids or they are too embarrassed to show them in public and are trying their best to make their kids look "normal"?

Georgia Bussey underwent "radical and painful" cosmetic surgery three times by age 5 so she could "fit in" with her peers, the U.K.'s Daily Mail reported Sunday.

Parents of another girl with Down syndrome told the paper that they were also considering altering her appearance in the future so she could be more "accepted."

Critics in the U.K. slammed the parents, with some even claiming the procedures were tantamount to child abuse. However, the parents hit back, saying that no one complained when "normal" children had their ears pinned back.

"Why should it be any different for a Downs child?" asked Georgia's mother Kim Bussey.

Bussey said she and her husband David were motivated by love for their child and deliberated for a year before putting her through the ordeal.

In the first procedure, Georgia's tongue was reduced to stop it from protruding, according to the paper. Then folds of skin were removed from the inner corners of her eyes to take away the "slantiness characteristic" of Down syndrome. Finally, she had surgery to stop her ears from sticking out....

Sponsored Links:
10th Mar, 2008 - 7:32pm / Post ID: #

Surgery Cosmetic Undergo Child Syndrome Down

I can not imagine doing this to a child. I know they are socially isolated from the man stream but how will this really change that? Once the child speak all will know, so I think you are right LDS_forever this is a tool for mom and dad's appearance in public.

10th Mar, 2008 - 8:35pm / Post ID: #

Down Syndrome Child Undergo Cosmetic Surgery Health & Special Psychology

Disgusting, absolutely disgusting!
there is nothing about this whole procedure for the child, it is so apparently vainness on the parents part!
The part that gets to me is how painful the procedures are, how young the child was, and how many operations she had to endure.
I feel sickened by this!

10th Mar, 2008 - 9:48pm / Post ID: #

Surgery Cosmetic Undergo Child Syndrome Down

I agree with above. I can understand if they want to do it when they get older, but putting a child through that is mostly for the parents to hide their own shame because they cannot love their child because of the way he / she looks.

> TOPIC: Down Syndrome Child Undergo Cosmetic Surgery

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,