Bible & Tattoos

Bible Tattoos - The Bible Revealed - Posted: 12th Mar, 2008 - 4:01am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 12th Mar, 2008 - 1:19am / Post ID: #

Bible & Tattoos

Bible & Tattoos

What does the Bible have to say about body Tattoos?

Sponsored Links:
12th Mar, 2008 - 1:51am / Post ID: #

Tattoos and Bible

The Old Testament is very specific when it says in Leviticus 19:28

Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I [am] the LORD.

12th Mar, 2008 - 2:06am / Post ID: #

Bible & Tattoos Revealed Bible The

May I comment on the verse that LDS has suggested from Leviticus law. My understanding of this verse is that we should not brand ourselves for the dead. Such as a cut or mark signifying the loss of a loved one.

12th Mar, 2008 - 2:16am / Post ID: #

Tattoos and Bible

Interesting enough Bwren, the first part talks about cutting for the dead, the second (about tattoos) does not contain the phrase "for the dead", also talks about ANY mark.

A couple of interesting interpretations by Bible scholars/Sources:

"In Lev. 19:28 we find two prohibitions of an unnatural disfigurement of the body: 'Ye shall not make any cutting in your flesh for the dead, nor any print any marks upon you.' The latter (Heb. qa aqa, incision) refers to tattooing, and has no reference to idolatrous usages, but was intended to inculcate upon the Israelietes a proper reverence for God's creation."
(Merrill F. Unger, Unger's Bible Dictionary, 1974 ed., p. 696)

"While cuttings in the flesh have reference here to mourning customs [for the dead], the tattooing does not appear to pertain to such practice." (Wycliffe Bible Encyclopedia, 1975 ed., p. 1664)

The New American Commentary on Leviticus 19:28:

"cutting the body either for the dead or with tattoo marks." (Mark F. Rooker, The New American Commentary on Leviticus, 2000 ed., p. 262)

12th Mar, 2008 - 2:27am / Post ID: #

Tattoos and Bible

Well actually I think the word "nor" means "or" in the negative, it is saying don't do that and don't do this. So if we read it better it will be saying

"Don't make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, or print any marks upon you..."

Before posting this and making myself look like an idiot I decided to look up the Douay version and this is what it says,

"You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh, for the dead, neither shall you make in yourselves any figures or marks: I am the Lord."

There is a clear separation between the two.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please learn how to use the Quote Tags here. When you do not use these tags source material that is not your own may appear to be yours when it is not. See our Constructive Posting Policy.

12th Mar, 2008 - 3:05am / Post ID: #

Bible & Tattoos

With all of the current discussion on interpretation I must also point out that this reference in Leviticus law. In a new testament church Leviticus law is no longer the law of the land. For those that may disagree with this; Leviticus 19

QUOTE (Easton's Bible Dictionary)
A series of laws (1-7) regarding sacrifices, burnt-offerings, meat-offerings, and thank-offerings (1-3), sin-offerings and trespass-offerings (4; 5), followed by the law of the priestly duties in connection with the offering of sacrifices (6; 7).

I am not familiar with any church that still practices the offerings also specified within these versus.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
12th Mar, 2008 - 3:19am / Post ID: #

Bible & Tattoos

Bwren:

In a new testament church Leviticus law is no longer the law of the land.

There are many moral laws that are only discussed in Leviticus such as human sacrifice of children, bestiality, prostitution of kids, etc. Does it mean that because it is no where to be found in the New Testament these are not sins?

I understand the ceremonial aspects of Leviticus but the moral laws themselves I think they still apply to us as shown as the examples I posted. One of them, in my opinion, are tattoos.

12th Mar, 2008 - 4:01am / Post ID: #

Bible & Tattoos The Bible Revealed

QUOTE (LDS_Forever)
because it is no where to be found in the New Testament these are not sins?

I would not argue that many of the values that held true in the Old Testament times would not be true today. But...
QUOTE (LDS_Forever)
I understand the ceremonial aspects of Leviticus but the moral laws themselves I think they still apply..

So from this outlook on Leviticus Law who is divinely chosen to separate what the church should still hold true and what it should not? Also please explain how an action such decorating ones body is moral? I always understood moral as more of an attitude or an outlook towards a decision.

Would this not mean also that every law given from God is moral in standing?

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Bible & Tattoos

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,