Lds Church Agrees To Meet With Gay Advocates

Lds Church Agrees Meet Gay Advocates - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 8th Apr, 2008 - 1:18am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

8th Apr, 2008 - 12:58am / Post ID: #

Lds Church Agrees To Meet With Gay Advocates

This is definetely a surprise move. Pres. Monson is the one that gave the "ok" for this meeting to take place.

(KCPW News) Disenfranchised gay and lesbian Latter-Day Saints will have an opportunity this summer to have their concerns heard by LDS Church leaders. It's a a historic meeting, says David Melson, the assistant senior executive director for the group Affirmation, which represents gay and lesbian Mormons.

"The church has gone from ignoring us to occasionally answering back to editorial responses," Melson says. "This is the first time the church has agreed to meet with us."

Melson says the LDS church is starting to change, though he doesn't necessarily attribute that to new Church President Thomas Monson. In recent years, he says the church has tried to reach out to gay and lesbian members, like himself. Because church leaders aren't familiar with the community, Melson says these attempts have turned out to be more insulting than helpful. He hopes the meeting this August will move the Church one step closer to understanding how to reach out to gay members.

"I firmly believe that within my lifetime the church will welcome gay brothers and sisters as full members in the church. I don't think that will happen today or tomorrow, but it will eventually happen," Melson says. "For right now, what we're seeking  more than anything else is just a change in attitude. Anytime that we teach homophobia as a family value, it means we are missing the mark and not doing the job that we should be doing as a people, as a church."

Sponsored Links:
8th Apr, 2008 - 1:18am / Post ID: #

Advocates Gay Meet Agrees Church Lds

He is certainly right.... the Church is changing, most definitely changing. I will be interested to see if anything concrete comes of this.

> TOPIC: Lds Church Agrees To Meet With Gay Advocates

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,