Brotherly Advice

Brotherly Advice - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 13th Apr, 2008 - 4:52am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

11th Apr, 2008 - 2:24am / Post ID: #

Brotherly Advice

How many people in your ward can you think that would readily accept some brotherly advice if you were to give it without becoming offended? I pose this question based on what I saw in another topic here about mothers who know. Imagine if you gave a talk in your ward like that, but imagine it was on a more personal level. We are supposed to be slow to anger.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 11th Apr, 2008 - 8:52am / Post ID: #

Brotherly Advice
A Friend

Advice Brotherly

Through my experience I have found that often the offense is taken because of some wording that was unintentional, rather than from the spirit of the message being given. This could be due to pride or promptings of the adversary or both, but some people seem to want to take offense to everything. Obviously, this does not apply to all, I have met many who are very humble and honestly want to change for the better and welcome advice and guidance. I just feel that those who take offense to talks or guidance from leaders need to remember that all of us are imperfect and need reminders and promptings to do what is right, and that if the counsel does not apply to you, (and that is between you and God to decide), then great, move on!

11th Apr, 2008 - 8:46pm / Post ID: #

Brotherly Advice Studies Doctrine Mormon

I am uncomfortable with the concept of people giving unsolicited advice to members of the Church, unless that person is within their stewardship.

An Elders Quorum President may council someone in his quorum, a bishop may counsel a member of the Ward, a Relief Society President may counsel a relief society member and a Prophet may counsel the entire Church. It does seem however presumptuous for a member to just start handing out advise to wayward members (though it may be sound advice) because we see certain character faults in others. Noticing a mote in the eye of another, when beams are apparent in us all, seems to be antithetical to the Savior's message in the New Testament.

Post Date: 13th Apr, 2008 - 4:52am / Post ID: #

Brotherly Advice
A Friend

Advice Brotherly

I think the question was concerning a talk or lesson given in church. I've heard many people become offended at what I felt was honest and inspired council given during a talk.

> TOPIC: Brotherly Advice

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,