Filipinos Crucify Themselves On Good Friday

Filipinos Crucify Good Friday - The Bible Revealed - Posted: 7th Apr, 2008 - 4:43am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Gory ritual to mark the death of Jesus Christ
6th Apr, 2007 - 8:34pm / Post ID: #

Do you think this ritual is a bit extreme in commemoration of the death of Christ?

CUTUD, Philippines (Reuters) -- More than a dozen Filipinos were nailed to crosses and scores more whipped their backs into a bloody pulp on Friday in a gory ritual to mark the death of Jesus Christ.

The voluntary crucifixions in the northern Philippines were the most extreme displays of religious devotion in this mainly Catholic country, where millions are praying and fasting ahead of the Easter weekend.

In the small village of Cutud, about 80 km (50 miles) north of Manila, seven men cried out as nails the size of pencils were driven into their hands and feet before they were hoisted up in the scorching heat.

Up to 20,000 people watched the spectacle, which has grown from a village production started in 1962 to a media and tourist attraction copied in other parts of the country.

The atmosphere was festive, with hawkers selling beer, ice-cream and souvenir whips. Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven" blared out from speakers before the penitents approached the crosses.

"I don't like the festivities. It should have been more solemn," said Pauline, a tourist from Poland, but added: "I believe in the sincerity of the volunteers, it was very moving."

Local travel agents offered overnight packages for curious visitors and VIPs watched from a specially elevated "viewing platform".

For hours before the crucifixions, lines of men, hooded and half naked, flayed their backs with bamboo whips and paddles tipped with broken glass. Blood splattered over the road.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 3rd Apr, 2008 - 9:31am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Friday Good Themselves Crucify Filipinos

I think its a bit too extreme, its suicide in my opinion. I don't know on earth 20,000 people would to go to watch an impression of Christ's death. When we can be at home and praying to our heavenly father and thanking him for sending his only begotten son to atone for our sins.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: It is not necessary to quote the entire post of the user above you. See Constructive Posting Policy.

7th Apr, 2008 - 4:43am / Post ID: #

Filipinos Crucify Themselves On Good Friday Revealed Bible The

They are taking literal where Jesus said to follow him. The thing about religious zealots that I do not understand is where they are willing to endure this kind of punishment but then treat each other badly, or not share or gossip, etc. I'm not saying these people do this, but I guess I feel more good can come from actually helping people rather than bleeding yourself dry.

> TOPIC: Filipinos Crucify Themselves On Good Friday

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,