Mormon Mission Vs. Military

Mormon Mission Vs Military - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 27th Jun, 2014 - 5:40am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 23rd Jun, 2014 - 10:18pm / Post ID: #

Mormon mission vs. Military

Name: AiforceAunt

Comments: Just wondering if anyone can point me to anything from the Church that discusses the option of military service over a mission or the like. You know, does the Church, by policy or by culture, smile or frown upon young men who choose to serve in the military over serving a mission? My sister is frantic and depressed over her son's choice to enter the air force rather than serve a mission. I have a vague memory of hearing that the church considers this a valid and honorable choice. I'm looking for something to comfort my sister and let her know this is not the end of the world. I know of course that during the drafts and wars of the 20th century making such a choice was at times unavoidable. But what about now? Anyone able to help?

Sponsored Links:
24th Jun, 2014 - 12:18am / Post ID: #

Military Vs Mission Mormon

I once wrote the First Presidency over the issue. The reply was one based on prayer and receiving an answer from God. Both are honorable, but you only get to serve a full time mission once.

24th Jun, 2014 - 6:59pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Mission Vs. Military Studies Doctrine Mormon

The Church let some countries to have Elders go on missions when they turned 18 long before it went world-wide, the reason was so the missionaries could both serve a mission and serve his government's military. I went to church with a man that took a 4 year tour, when his military service was over, he went on his mission, so I don't see it as a ether-or type of situation, a person could do both.

Post Date: 25th Jun, 2014 - 4:28pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Its his choice to serve and its far better for him not to go if he doesn't want to then to go and end up coming home early. His decision to join the air force could be his way of saying he is afraid to serve a mission or he may not want to go at all. It is completely possible to join the air force and serve a mission, I had a friend who went to boot camp and then went on his mission and then went on active duty so it is possible, I'm not sure what kinds of hoops you would have to jump through to arrange that.

26th Jun, 2014 - 8:39pm / Post ID: #

He wasn't on active duty until after he finished his mission of course, right?

The military is so read for new recruits that they will most likely facilitate any reasonable arrangement to get you in.

Post Date: 26th Jun, 2014 - 8:49pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

This was before 9/11 I think, but yeah he wasn't on active duty until he finished his mission, I believe they call it a service obligation deferral. Its important to remember to get everything in writing when dealing with recruiters

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 27th Jun, 2014 - 5:40am / Post ID: #

Name: Ronan

Comments: I did both. Served in the Army for 6 years then served a mission. The church supports you either way, but still would rather you serve a mission first. Too many things can happen in the military that could deter you from a mission. I've even seen some wards that make plaques for both missionaries & members serving in the military.

For me it was a very personal decision to serve the military and not a mission at the time and I have no doubt it made me a better missionary and helped me prepare for my mission.

> TOPIC: Mormon Mission Vs. Military

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,