Jesus The Christ By Talmage - Page 2 of 3

Well, it is rather simple: Did Talmage give - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 18th Jul, 2014 - 12:29am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
LDS Author
Post Date: 14th Jul, 2014 - 11:23pm / Post ID: #

Jesus The Christ By Talmage
A Friend

Jesus The Christ By Talmage - Page 2

I also read the book while on my mission. It is a great book, although not infallible and not official Church doctrine. It has never been voted upon and accepted by the members of the Church as scripture. It is, however, very well-researched, well-thought out, and well-written, as well as very informative, and one can gain a great deal by reading it. However, there are some problems with it, not the least of which is the fact that Talmage completely ignores the Joseph Smith translation of the Bible altogether. This is where McConkie has the advantage over Talmage because McConkie doe take the JST into consideration in his interpretations. Still, one can learn a great deal from Talmage's insights.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 15th Jul, 2014 - 3:18am / Post ID: #

Talmage Christ Jesus

Name: Isaiah

Comments: Jesus the Christ is basically the LDS version of the Book The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah by Endersheim. There is really not much difference between the two books. Endersheim's book is a better read IMO and more detailed.

15th Jul, 2014 - 5:50pm / Post ID: #

Jesus The Christ By Talmage Studies Doctrine Mormon

Isaiah, are you suggesting by chance that Talmage may have plagiarized that book in Jesus the Christ?

Post Date: 16th Jul, 2014 - 3:13am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 2 Talmage Christ Jesus

While it is true that Talmage does rely heavily on Edersheim, which is a good thing because Edersheim does provide many interesting and valuable insights, nevertheless, I think that it is a gross exaggeration to say that there is "Really not much difference between the two books." For one thing, Talmage does provide an LDS point of view that Edersheim never could.

Post Date: 16th Jul, 2014 - 3:40am / Post ID: #

Talmage Christ Jesus

Comments: No I would not say plagiarized. That is a strong accusation. I would say that he borrowed heavily and sited Endershiem. I do not have my Jesus the Christ handy, but I would assume he credits Endershiem since it is pretty common knowledge that he took a lot from him. It is just that a lot of the book is not original.

Post Date: 16th Jul, 2014 - 4:38pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I just skimmed through Jesus the Christ quickly but I couldn't find any citations including that book or author.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 17th Jul, 2014 - 10:21pm / Post ID: #

Jesus Christ Talmage - Page 2

Comments: Marianna Edwards Richardson's book, Alfred Edersheim: a Jewish Scholar for the Mormon Prophets, lists 23 citations of Endershiem in Jesus the Christ. I am do not think that is plagiarism, but he did borrow heavily on Endershiem for his historical context. You can buy Edersheim though Deseret Book.

18th Jul, 2014 - 12:29am / Post ID: #

Jesus Christ Talmage Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

Well, it is rather simple: Did Talmage give the source of the things he "borrow"? If he did not then its plagiarism.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Jesus The Christ By Talmage

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,