Satan's Most Effective Tools

Satan' S Effective Tools - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 4th Jun, 2008 - 2:20am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
26th May, 2008 - 9:26pm / Post ID: #

We were having a discussion about various tools at Satan's disposal in the latter days and some of the brethren were trying to compare some of the more effective ones. I thought of throwing out some of the responses here to see what you all thought:

* Internet
* Television
* Radio
* Newspapers
* Fashion designers
* Hollywood
* Bars and clubs

Sponsored Links:
26th May, 2008 - 11:00pm / Post ID: #

Tools Effective Satans

I disagree that the television, radio, and internet themselves are inherently "evil." It's the content provided that gets people.

How about:

Peer pressure
Pharmaceutical Advertising that discusses intimate relationships
Cartoons (and sitcoms) portraying crude, vulgar behavior as funny

It boils down to the "good for evil and evil for good" discussed in the scriptures, in my opinion.

27th May, 2008 - 3:55am / Post ID: #

Satan's Most Effective Tools Studies Doctrine Mormon

QUOTE (FarSeer @ 26-May 08, 3:00 PM)
I disagree that the television, radio, and internet themselves are inherently "evil." 

From how I read McKays comment, quoted below, I didn't feel he was actually saying they were evil in themselves. More an effective tool that Satan is using to bring his message into the lives of people.

We were having a discussion about various tools at Satan's disposal in the latter days and some of the brethren were trying to compare some of the more effective ones.

I think most media sources are a great tool for Satan. There are wonderful shows and we can even watch General Conference on the internet! Those are obviously good tools for The Lord and His church as well. As FarSeer said:
It's the content provided that gets people.

27th May, 2008 - 11:14pm / Post ID: #

Tools Effective Satans

I disagree that the television, radio, and internet themselves are inherently "evil."

Where did I say that? I'm merely mentioning the tools Satan uses. I believe the poster from Alaska got the right idea.

30th May, 2008 - 12:43am / Post ID: #

Tools Effective Satans

I find it interesting that when lists like this are posted, they usually only deal with sexual sins and word of wisdom. I do not know why we generally limit our talk about sin to these subjects-mainly to sex. I think we are scandalized by it.
Pretty much anything can be added to this list, but I will add a few. Big homes (over 2000 sq. feet IMO) with very expensive decor. Large expensive cars like SUVs,and luxury cars and our excessive toys like boats, ATVs, campers, etc. Our expensive jewelry and costly appearal. I think that we tend to spend more money on things like this at the expense of the poor in the world. We use our resources to by big nice homes, over priced large cars, and other "toys" when a small home, and a average car is enough for our needs.

30th May, 2008 - 6:50am / Post ID: #

I would agree with that as well.

I think the word PRIDE describes those sins in my mind. I remember hearing a talk or reading an article from a general authority that was talking about how we didn't even need to go across the world to find the poor among us. He used the example of somewhere in Utah where there are very expensive houses and "high living" up on the mountain and at the base of the mountain were people that were begging for that nights meal or clothes to keep their kids warm in.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
31st May, 2008 - 4:14am / Post ID: #

Satan's Effective Tools

Pretty much anything can be added to this list, but I will add a few. Big homes (over 2000 sq. feet IMO) with very expensive decor. Large expensive cars like SUVs,and luxury cars and our excessive toys like boats, ATVs, campers, etc. Our expensive jewelry and costly appearal.

I may have misunderstood you, but it seem that you are implying that having these things in and of themselves are evil.

I have none of these things (though I would enjoy some of them), but I must say that I disagree with this list in spirit. It is not being wealthy or having things that make us evil. (Brigham Young's Beehive house had fourteen rooms. If you have seen this home you know that it is decorated very ornately)
It is letting the pride of thinking that we are better then our brethren, and not having charity for our fellow man, that damages the soul.

I believe that the devils tools are actually much more unsubstantial or not as physical as the lists that we have so far come up with. He uses pride, greed, lust, and envy (all things that are a common to the natural man, and not just the wealthy natural man.) The bible (inspired version) does not warn us that money is the root of all evil, but more specifically the love of money is the root of all evil. Riches in and of themselves are not evil, but pride is the tool that the devil uses to destroy our souls.

When focusing on the evil of things and not the desires of our hearts, we often deflect the real issue. Where are our hearts? Is it in serving God or serving our desires(be it a sexual sin or the unfettered getting without the perspective of Christlike Charity). Are we the natural man who acquires wealth for the sake of satiating our greed or do we acquire wealth to build up the Kingdom of God?

Lehi was exceedingly wealthy, but Lehi was willing to give up his riches when asked by the Lord to do so. Conversely Laban lusted after the riches of Lehi. It was the heart of the man that effected the choices of each man, not the wealth. (1 Nephi 3 24-25)

39 And if ye seek the riches which it is the will of the Father to give unto you, ye shall be the richest of all people, for ye shall have the riches of eternity; and it must needs be that the riches of the earth are mine to give; but beware of pride, lest ye become as the Nephites of old.
D&C 38:39

So the caveat is, That having the comforts in life are not a bad thing, but we must be wary of letting pride, greed or lust rule our wills.

In my opinion the Envy of a poor man is as great a sin as the pride of a wealthy man.

4th Jun, 2008 - 2:20am / Post ID: #

Satan's Effective Tools Mormon Doctrine Studies

I read something interesting from someone in a blog comment, he was saying (paraphrasing here): If Satan considers the Kingdom of God a threat what would be one method of fighting against it? Decreasing the number of missionaries and converts. How? By creating conditions where they will never be born.

Food for thought.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Satan's Most Effective Tools

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,