Power Failure Kills Woman After Life In Iron Lung

Power Failure Kills Woman Life Iron Lung - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 30th May, 2008 - 1:32pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

29th May, 2008 - 7:49am / Post ID: #

For almost 60 years, Dianne Odell lived inside a 7-foot-long metal tube, unable to breathe outside it but determined not to let it destroy her spirit. But on Wednesday, Odell died when a power failure shut off electricity to the tube and stopped the pump drawing air into her lungs.

Read full story here:
https://www.cnn.com/2008/US/05/28/iron.lung...h.ap/index.html

My dad had polio as well when he was born and spent a good time in the hospital --I think like the first 2 years of his life. This is amazing that she has been living like this for so long and then to have a power outage take her life? WOW! That brings the question to my mind about other people who are on life sustaining machines--Most hospitals have back up generators but there is always a chance something may go wrong...or is there?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 29th May, 2008 - 1:59pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Lung Iron Life Woman Kills Failure Power

Yes most hospitals have back up generators for essential stuff. The back up generators do not power the whole hospital just essentials. The problem then lies with how long is power going to be out. The back up generators run on fuel. SO they will have to be maintained to keep fuel in them to keep the essentials running.

I feel sorry that it was a power outage that took this persons life. I am happy they were able to live this long and enjoy what she could of life.

29th May, 2008 - 3:58pm / Post ID: #

Power Failure Kills Woman After Life In Iron Lung Health & Special Psychology

I am surprised that this even occurred, such a very sad since it was preventable. In our city the Utility has a list of all on life support like this or even oxygen machines. In an outage that is planned we ensure that a generator from us is supplied to them. In the case of an unexpected outage most of them have battery back up and a gas generator of their own.

30th May, 2008 - 8:53am / Post ID: #

Thanks for answering my questions. Appreciate the info KNtoran and your right I am glad that she had a long life. From what I have read it sounds as if she was a very compassionate person and very friendly. It takes a special kind to be like that instead of feeling like she was being punished in some way or other negative ideas.

I hope places here in the US also provide some kind of program for that type of thing as you were mentioning Krakyn. Does that fall into your health care program or is it something that your energy department works out with them? I was just curious where the cost falls, I think it is a great idea.

30th May, 2008 - 1:32pm / Post ID: #

We are publicly owned buy the city and always have been, so maybe that is why we do it.

I think in Ontario especially since we used to be a nonprofit corporation(all electrical companies were upto 2000) we took the burden just being a good corporate body.

In my field safety is the primary target for us and our customers. This in part drove us to provide emergency power as required. We also were managed by people who started in the field and worked up a business degree or Eng degrees was rare other then one civil and one electrical engineer to stamp drawing made by experienced personal.

It funny as now the top brass are all college university grads with no hands on experience and the industry shows it. Structural drawing come down you look at and start laughing because there is no way you can even build it like that. Heck they even want college grades for metering technicians. I often ponder why they call it an apprentice ship any more(5years).

> TOPIC: Power Failure Kills Woman After Life In Iron Lung

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,