Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support - Page 54 of 84

I'd suggest that in the current situation - Page 54 - Science Fiction PBP RPGs - Posted: 19th May, 2016 - 9:34pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 84 pgs.  50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58  ...Latest (84) »
Closed
Traveller Miscellaneous Thread for any Out of Character Discussion that is still related to the Main Game.
This RPG is CLOSED GM Stats
Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support Related Information to Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support
16th May, 2016 - 9:57pm / Post ID: #
Krakrefr
Hound
Character
Lieutenant / Confused
Character Sheet ◀
Active Player Active Role-player!

Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support - Page 54

This is Kanin, over...

Too late for that mate. I am already moving. In 20mins I will know if I managed to do something good and maybe we get some parts free, or even bounty money for the pirates.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 18th May, 2016 - 3:56am / Post ID: #

Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support
A Friend

Support and Questions Traveller Aericsteeles

I want to bluff them and use the the cargo area to threaten suction into zero g. Maybe even go the route of saying we have imperial soldiers as passengers.

18th May, 2016 - 11:09am / Post ID: #
Ajit Akash Gadhavi
Navy Engineer
Character
Follower / Right Fwd. Flank
Character Sheet Important

Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support RPGs PBP Fiction Science

Rebel over...

Well until Silver relays the instructions for everyone to gather, it doesn't make much sense for anyone else to react. With a three person boarding crew, I assume they have several more people on board the their ship still and will react to any outward signs of conflict (Like a distress signal or us just taking off). I don't doubt we could handle the three of them, I just am not sure about the rest of their crew.

18th May, 2016 - 12:40pm / Post ID: #
Baron Gaden Baenre
Retired Star Marine Ge...
Character
Follower / Scout
Character Sheet ◀

Page 54 Support and Questions Traveller Aericsteeles

This is The Reaper of Ships, over...

I wanted to check with the ref on how skills like tactics, recon and leadership affect the game. They don't really translate as well to a play by post and the last few times, despite the roll it seemed like nothing happened. The book gives examples like improving initiative but we don't really use that. I rolled at perfect 12 (14 total for tactics) and a total of 8 for recon. Does this have any real benefit? If not my characters playablity is greatly lessened.

18th May, 2016 - 1:07pm / Post ID: #
Njall Nail Lang
BelterCrewman
Character
Novice / Confused
Character Sheet ◀

Support and Questions Traveller Aericsteeles

Rebel over...

I'm too busy to post properly until tonight, but ideally Silver will go through a door/hatch (Preferably the bridge, but the hold will do) ahead of the boarders, duck aside, and we'll pop up and fire. As the crew are all netted in on comms we'll know where and when.

19th May, 2016 - 10:26am / Post ID: #
Njall Nail Lang
BelterCrewman
Character
Novice / Confused
Character Sheet ◀

Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support

Rebel over...

I think it would be a good idea to capture these "Pirates", so their captain is less likely to fire on the ship. Otherwise it would be nice if Krakrefr's explosives go off before the ambush - hit them while they're distracted and their ship is in confusion.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
19th May, 2016 - 9:08pm / Post ID: #

Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support - Page 54

The Referee relays...

international QUOTE
I wanted to check with the ref on how skills like tactics, recon and leadership affect the game. They don't really translate as well to a play by post and the last few times, despite the roll it seemed like nothing happened. The book gives examples like improving initiative but we don't really use that. I rolled at perfect 12 (14 total for tactics) and a total of 8 for recon. Does this have any real benefit? If not my characters playablity is greatly lessened.

Recon's primary benefit is related to being perceptive and noticing things as well as searching action, but doesn't necessarily add any mechanical benefit. The effects of skills like Tactics is kindof dependent on your intent. What benefit are you hoping to obtain with the tactics/recon check.

When a recon roll is made by the player without stating what it is they are looking for, or when the GM hasn't asked for one; I generally do not make up things that weren't necessarily there before, but happen to appear just because the player rolled high on a recon check. The player needs to be a little more specific on what they are looking for or hoping to find with the Recon skill. However, if they are looking for a secret door where there is none, it's not going to appear because of a high roll, the player would be fairly certain, however, that no secret door exists at that point.

The skill description regarding tactics is not very helpful and doesn't provide any benefit at the squad level; it almost seems to be geared toward an overall outcome
international QUOTE (Traveller SRD)
This skill covers tactical planning and decision making, from board games to squad level combat to fleet engagements.

In other words it seems like it would be commanders on opposing sides roll tactics and apply modifiers and the one with the highest result wins the engagement; sort of means of resolving larger scale engagements with a single roll. This doesn't mean that we can't define how the tactics skill will work in our game though, so give me your suggestions.

How do you feel the tactics roll should be applied here? I can roll an opposed check for the other ships captain, but depending on the results, what will that look like in game terms? Would a successful opposed tactics roll give some advantage such as dice modifier to attack rolls?;

19th May, 2016 - 9:34pm / Post ID: #
Njall Nail Lang
BelterCrewman
Character
Novice / Confused
Character Sheet ◀

Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support Science Fiction PBP RPGs - Page 54

Rebel over...

I'd suggest that in the current situation Recon and Tactics would translate into concealing our team and allowing us an advantageous position and timing, maybe even to manoeuvre the opposition into the situation we want them in. But I'm on the team, so I'm biased. *smile*.

> TOPIC: Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,