Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support - Page 55 of 84

Ajit, the maps button is up near the top of - Page 55 - Science Fiction PBP RPGs - Posted: 23rd May, 2016 - 10:37pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 84 pgs.  51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59  ...Latest (84) »
Closed
Traveller Miscellaneous Thread for any Out of Character Discussion that is still related to the Main Game.
This RPG is CLOSED GM Stats
Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support Related Information to Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support
20th May, 2016 - 12:02am / Post ID: #
Baron Gaden Baenre
Retired Star Marine Ge...
Character
Follower / Scout
Character Sheet ◀
Active Player Active Role-player!

Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support - Page 55

This is The Reaper of Ships, over...

Ah, I understand and will try to be a little clearer in the future. Looking back, Gaden was looking for places to take cover, so I'd probably side with Njall on this one. If the crew wants, they should be able to conceal themselves before the boarding party exits the airlock (At least in my opinion). In my mind I guess I always viewed tactics as an opposed roll where if you win, you can act first, kind of like a surprise round. I think maybe moving forward we can resolve it case by case? I'll try to be clearer on what I hope to achieve and the ref can work with it from there.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 20th May, 2016 - 1:01am / Post ID: #

Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support
A Friend

Support and Questions Traveller Aericsteeles

Tactics are like a chess match where one is always trying to outflank the other. I believe each side rolls against each other and the side that wins gets a +1 or +2 is the rolls are far apart on other rolls. That means it could have great benefits to us but then again maybe not.

20th May, 2016 - 11:35am / Post ID: #
Ajit Akash Gadhavi
Navy Engineer
Character
Follower / Right Fwd. Flank
Character Sheet Important

Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support RPGs PBP Fiction Science

Rebel over...

I'll through in my two cents as well: in reading through the rulebook, I see Recon is:

international QUOTE (Mongoose Traveler Core Rulebook)
A character trained in Recon is able to scout out dangers and spot threats, unusual objects or out of place people
To me this means that making a recon check (Even when not asked for) should give the roller an advantage in spotting any danger or unusual objects (If they exist), aka should prevent a surprise attack. As for Tactics:
This skill covers tactical planning and decision making, from board games to squad level combat to fleet engagements. In combat, the Tactics skill level of a unit’s commander gives a boost to the initiative scores of everyone in his unit. See Combat, starting on page 60, for more details.
Which is a little expanded from the quote you used originally. If we go look at Combat on page 60, we get:
Characters who have the Tactics skill may make a Tactics check and add the Effect of this check to the Initiative of everyone in their unit. (Only the highest Tactics Effect in the unit may be used.)
So together I take this to mean that tactics helps the squad plan for an attack and get a bonus to initiative. It seems to me it is not an opposed role, just a straight dice modifier of 8 and how much ever over that you role is added as a bonus to initiative for the squad (Assuming he can communicate with them and get them set tactically). The boarders wouldn't get anything because they are in unfamiliar territory and can't plan on how to react. But this is just my interpretation. The ref of course has final say.

Reconcile Edited: Alchyrogue on 20th May, 2016 - 11:37am

22nd May, 2016 - 4:33am / Post ID: #

Page 55 Support and Questions Traveller Aericsteeles

The Referee relays...

Ok, I used the tactics roll to add two on the crew’s initiative. To move things along I rolled for everyone and came up with the following initiative order: Njall, Krakrefr, Maiokus, John (Pirate), Gaden, Silver, Lady Pirate, Crowley (Pirate).

This will be the order after the surprise round. To establish whether they are surprised I rolled an opposed tactics check for the lady pirate (Who is in charge of the boarding party) at a -2DM because it is unlikely pirates would be expecting resistance from an experienced crew; they think they are dealing with a simple trader crew. She failed this roll so you guys will get a surprise round.

The problem is, based on the posts so far I’m still somewhat unclear on where everyone is. Ajit said that if Silver signaled he would know that something was up, but until then he was on the bridge.

Gaden said that you needed to make a decision regarding where everyone was going to be, but I don’t see that a decision was clearly made. I gathered from Gaden’s post that he was in the hold; the same goes for Maiokus.

Krakrefr is out galavanting around the hull of the enemy ship, I know that much, but the last In Character: post from Njall was about a week ago so I’m not sure where he is although from the sound of that post he was not going to be on the bridge so I’m guessing he would be in the cargo hold? Then again in the support thread he stated that he was on the bridge so I’m not sure.

I don’t want to spend the next few pages hashing it out, it’s stalled enough already I think. I’m basically going to say that, having heard the interaction between Silver and the Pirates, the “repelling party” use the opportunity to make their way to the cargo hold and set up positions. The hold is empty so there aren’t a lot of places that provide cover other than the fork lifts which will act as ½ cover giving a -1DM to enemy attack rolls.

Basically, in your In Character: posts please make it clear who is in the cargo hold.

22nd May, 2016 - 10:34am / Post ID: #
Njall Nail Lang
BelterCrewman
Character
Novice / Confused
Character Sheet ◀

Support and Questions Traveller Aericsteeles

Rebel over...

I was going to post this In Character: , but thought I'd put it here for confirmation first - is Njall's deployment OK?

-------

Once the drives were cut Njall put on his HEV suit and moved to the cargo hold, seeing Gaden and Maiokus there already. As the hatchway can only accommodate two firing positions he goes to Stateroom 2. Using the computer station in the stateroom to watch the video feed of the airlock/common room, and listening to Silvers comms, Njall waits until the pirates leave the airlock, and are all exposed to converging fire from the cargo bay, stateroom and bridge doorways. Then we can make a coordinated strike from three directions. Hopefully Silver can lead them into the open, and Krakrefr's bomb will distract them.

When the moment comes Njall intends to pop the door, lean out (Taking as much cover from the wall as possible, and fire his Laser Pistol at one of the shotgun wielding pirates if Silver is amongst them, or his own shotgun if Silver is clear.

Reconcile Edited: Bindoner on 22nd May, 2016 - 10:42am

23rd May, 2016 - 1:02pm / Post ID: #
Maiokus
Rogue Pirate
Character
Novice / Confused
Character Sheet ◀

Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support

This is The Cynic, over...

For those of us who are in the cargo hold, what's our line of vision and fire? Can we see Silver's tussle or just hear it?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
23rd May, 2016 - 9:21pm / Post ID: #
Krakrefr
Hound
Character
Lieutenant / Confused
Character Sheet ◀

Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support - Page 55

This is Kanin, over...

I have to reroll for the breaching or I wait for the GM to progress the actions?

23rd May, 2016 - 10:37pm / Post ID: #
Njall Nail Lang
BelterCrewman
Character
Novice / Confused
Character Sheet ◀

Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support Science Fiction PBP RPGs - Page 55

Rebel over...

Ajit, the maps button is up near the top of the page, next to the Dice button. Bridge opens on to common room, airlock to your left. Cargo bay is across the common room, about your 10 0'clock.

> TOPIC: Aericsteele's Traveller Questions & Support

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,