Milesprower Introduction - Page 2 of 5

QUOTE (Milesprower) Personally I hate "Top - Page 2 - Introductions, Member Sharing - Posted: 10th Dec, 2015 - 12:51am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
Post Date: 4th Dec, 2015 - 12:06am / Post ID: #

Admin + Architect
[?] CPosts: 38,097
Flag Posts: 51,754
Avg: 6.4 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 100%
[+] Gain: 4,631.19 FP
Charm: 394

Milesprower Introduction - Page 2

international QUOTE (Milesprower)
DST checkbox seems to make no difference. Probably a bug.

Milesprower, welcome to the Community. I appreciate the error reporting as it helps me to iron out things that Members do not report. I adjusted the Daylight savings option, please tell me if it works well for you. What's your main programming language / background?

Blog Read My Blog
Contribution: Hard Work | Credit: | Gender: Male | Politics: Libertarian
Tenet: Reperire Veritatem | Reason: Discuss Global Issues | Age: Fifty Something | Joined: Reg. 3rd Sep, 2002 - 1:01pm
Signature: Donate Please Support Our Efforts!
Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 5th Dec, 2015 - 9:04am / Post ID: #

Milesprower Introduction
A Friend

Introduction Milesprower

Excellent, thanks a lot, I tested it and it works great! I am a web developer working primarily in Ruby (Ruby on Rails framework).

Post Date: 9th Dec, 2015 - 7:15pm / Post ID: #

Milesprower Introduction
A Friend

Milesprower Introduction Sharing Member & Introductions

I have some suggestions for this website but I can't find the "Welcome" section or any place where these might be on-topic.

Post Date: 9th Dec, 2015 - 8:54pm / Post ID: #

Admin + Architect

Page 2 Introduction Milesprower

You are essentially in the 'welcome' section as this is where Introductions are kept. Feel free to state your suggestion and I will either address it here or tell you where it may be already in place or Discussed.

Blog Read My Blog
Tenet: Reperire Veritatem | Reason: Discuss Global Issues | Age: Fifty Something | Joined: Reg. 3rd Sep, 2002 - 1:01pm
Post Date: 9th Dec, 2015 - 11:13pm / Post ID: #

Milesprower Introduction
A Friend

Introduction Milesprower

Ah ok, thanks. My suggestion is for there to be a kind of view that shows the last x number of posts (Or posts up until I last posted) all on one screen. Or another way would be to have a view that reverses the sort order of posts and let's you reply at the top of page 1. This way I can read one page and reply instead of loading the latest page, seeing just one or two posts at the top, going to previous page, scrolling halfway, reading new posts, loading the next page again and then replying.

Post Date: 9th Dec, 2015 - 11:34pm / Post ID: #

Admin + Architect

Milesprower Introduction

Thanks for your comments. We disabled some of those for many reasons. Keep in mind this is an International Community with varying ages and interests, therefore with that in mind these are my answers:

Reversing sort order in a Topic confuses people when they reference pages. For instance, someone will say "Check Pg. X" or check the "First page" which will be different for someone that sorted it differently. You will then get wasted references to "I don't see it" or "Its not there".

The First Post dictates what is on Topic for a Thread. In other words all responders should use this first before Replying.

On the Index of any Board is an icon to go to the latest Post of that Thread without having to go to a page number.

You can utilize the What's New! to see latest Topics and a square usually appears next to a Topic that is new since your last visit. Keep in mind that if you leave and come back again without visiting x Topic then it may not show as 'new to you' therefore do not depend on it.

You can also utilize Subscriptions and Favorite Threads to keep track.

Blog Read My Blog
Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 10th Dec, 2015 - 12:42am / Post ID: #

Milesprower Introduction
A Friend

Milesprower Introduction - Page 2

Yes, I'm sure it would be terrible to reverse the sort order for everyone, I was thinking about it being an option. Personally I hate "Top posting" but I was trying to think of easy-to-implement ways of putting all the relevant recent posts on one page without having to produce a whole new view. No matter what page size you choose, you'll always have the problem of only being able to see one or two posts on a new page and having to page back and forth - especially noticeable on mobiles.

I take your point about the page number, it is quite useful that that's static.

I haven't tried favourite threads yet, I'll give that a go. Thanks for the tip.

Post Date: 10th Dec, 2015 - 12:51am / Post ID: #

Admin + Architect

Milesprower Introduction Introductions & Member Sharing - Page 2

international QUOTE (Milesprower)
Personally I hate "Top posting" but I was trying to think of easy-to-implement ways of putting all the relevant recent posts on one page without having to produce a whole new view.

Yes, I am aware of that concern as some people tend to come with that outlay in their minds from other sites.

The other problem with having it on one page is formatting. Each Board shows Posts differently and that is especially true for RPGs. It will probably turn out to be a bit CPU intensive to show all Posts and find all the formats that go with it unless just the plain text alone is shown.

The other problem is Members usually tend to address Posts without looking at previous Posts so they do not get a clear picture. The format is to promote Constructive Discussion rather than spur of the moment Replies.

What size screen are using? What Mobile type?

Blog Read My Blog
+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Milesprower Introduction

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,