The Science Of Sarcasm

The Science Sarcasm - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 23rd Jun, 2008 - 3:37am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 12th Jun, 2008 - 2:16pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

The Science Of Sarcasm

The science of sarcasm

What you may not have realized is that perceiving sarcasm, the smirking put-down that buries its barb by stating the opposite, requires a nifty mental trick that lies at the heart of social relations: figuring out what others are thinking.
Ref. https://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20...12sarcasmm.html

Sponsored Links:
22nd Jun, 2008 - 10:44pm / Post ID: #

Sarcasm Science The

Guys tend to be more sarcastic than gals, but if a gal hits you with sarcasm it usually puts a hole in your heart or your brain depending on what is said. A little sarcasm is normal I believe but when you start doing it all the time it becomes annoying.

22nd Jun, 2008 - 11:20pm / Post ID: #

The Science Of Sarcasm Health & Special Psychology

Where did you get the notion that guys are more sarcastic? Some women can rip a guy to threads and if you get her girl friends together then you'll become stuffed pig with an apple in your mouth.

I agree that some people have this down as a talent, perhaps they are so good their better choice of profession would be stand up comedian. Others only make themselves look like the backstreet clown but they truly don't know how to handle sarcasm. I may throw in a line here and there occasionally, hope that does not offend.

23rd Jun, 2008 - 12:57am / Post ID: #

Sarcasm Science The

Sarcasm gets a bad wrap most of the time. I have quite a dry sense of humor and am said to be quite sarcastic, but in general, it is never directed towards hurting someone. I am the one when things go wrong at work that finds a way to make people smile, if even for just a little bit, with a quick line or a interesting analogy. Seeing the irony in situations allows me to not become overwhelmed or over stressed by events.

However, sarcasm is definitely a western thing. I have been in Asia for quite a while and have found that most just do not get sarcasm. You can find the entire box set of The Sopranos, but don't even think of finding a copy of Seinfeld. It just doesn't play here.

Sarcasm directed at things or events can be quite funny. Sarcasm directed at others is normally quite hurtful to that person.

23rd Jun, 2008 - 1:13am / Post ID: #

Sarcasm Science The

You are therefore confirming that those movie scenes where they make a little sarcastic remark about the Asian guy and he just squints and smiles while shaking his head is in reality a fact?

I should mention that although lady folk like to give sarcasm they are generally very bad at receiving such. They are all hard shell on the outside but soft as nougat on the inside so be careful guys.

23rd Jun, 2008 - 1:22am / Post ID: #

The Science Of Sarcasm

Actualy, no. If they were able to shake their head and walk away, they got it, but just didnt appreciate it. What I am saying is, they just dont follow it at all. That that is a broad sweeping sterotype of asians, but I would say it represents the majority. There are a few co-workers here that get it and therefore, I share it with them as they do to me.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
23rd Jun, 2008 - 1:27am / Post ID: #

The Science Sarcasm

I can't comprehend life without a sarcastic remark every now and again to flavor something that is tastelesss. What do comedians there do to make people laugh? Maybe humor doesn't really have to be associated with sarcasm and its just a Western cultural thing as you mentioned although Europeans and Australians are pretty good at dishing out sarcastic remarks too.

23rd Jun, 2008 - 3:37am / Post ID: #

The Science Sarcasm Psychology Special & Health

Asians love physical comedy. The French and Brits are big fans of physical comedy as well. Although, they can sport some sarcasm as well as you stated. However, physical comedy is king in Asia.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: The Science Of Sarcasm

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,