Too Much Violence In PBP RPGs? - Page 3 of 4

I have a character in an adventure that could - Page 3 - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 30th Jan, 2016 - 4:04am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

19th September 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Draconian
Draconian
Fighter
Fighter
Warlock
Warlock
Wizard
Wizard
Paladin
Paladin
Ranger
Ranger
Barbarian
Barbarian
Rogue
Rogue
Cleric
Cleric

+  1 2 3 4 
Post Date: 14th Jan, 2016 - 11:52pm / Post ID: #

Too Much Violence In PBP RPGs?
A Friend

Too Much Violence In PBP RPGs? - Page 3

[You're] no fun JB, what about the corrupt guard kicking the child [beggar] in the face and oppressing him? Justice must be done and the party makes for the best vigilantes in town!.

Sponsored Links:
15th Jan, 2016 - 12:26am / Post ID: #

RPGs PBP Violence Too

Our polices on such matters aren't meant to be "Fun", especially since the abuse of children is a serious Topic for me.

Additionally, I had a similar Discussion with a Dungeon Master about using words to describe a scene. As a writer if you choose the correct words then you can describe something without making it obvious, for instance instead of using your example try the alternative:

"The corrupt guard, having no consideration for the tender years of life nor his visible presence in the public's eye, treated a lowly beggar child in the most disgusting manner as to leave everyone who saw his despicable act with their mouths wide open."

Or if that is too long:

"The corrupt guard treated a beggar child poorly. It made those who saw it call for help..."

Rather off topic, but...
Arthos, when you have a chance please look over this: Using Interjections - Word Emotions

15th Jan, 2016 - 3:58pm / Post ID: #

Too Much Violence In PBP RPGs? Reviews RPG & Card Board

"We attack" and "Fight" and "Kill" seems like enough for me to know what's going on. From a purely entertainment position I personally do not need any details in order to enjoy the game. Come to think of it the most enjoyable parts of role playing come outside of combat rather than within it.

Post Date: 15th Jan, 2016 - 11:42pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 3 RPGs PBP Violence Too

It is my thought that the players decide how much violence is in a game. Hack and slash is the common core of a Role-playing Game like Dungeons & Dragons so you will have some violence. Could a GM get very graphic? Yes can a PC get very graphic? Yes. IT is up to the players to decide how graphic they can handle. If one character does not like what another character is doing then say something. Sometimes the interactions of player characters can help make a game better. While one does not like something another does they can go back and forth and still get along when the time is right and then go back to their discussions of what is right or wrong in the world they are in and their beliefs.

The biggest thing is one sticking to their beliefs and that decides their alignment. IF you pick Lawful good you are one that will not tolerate much lawlessness and harming innocents. If you are Chaotic Evil you may go out of your way to cause someone pain just to put a smile on your face.

How one plays with others and is able to get along well in a group makes the role playing part more real and gets the game more in-depth to a character level. But in the end we all have to remember it is still only a game.

27th Jan, 2016 - 7:49pm / Post ID: #

RPGs PBP Violence Too

From a Dungeon Master's perspective, I have no problem moderating what a character in the game does. Since it's fantasy and imagination rules, there's very little that a character can't at least attempt. However, it does open up the characters to be seen in a different light and allow for repercussions that may not normally be considered.

For example, killing opponents in battle is a common expectation and one that any adventurer or creature would expect as the law of the land, survival of the fittest if you will. However, torturing a helpless creature or character is something else entirely and may raise the ire of any NPCs or creatures related to the victim. It's one thing if Tom the Adventurer dies bravely fighting off the goblin hoard with a sword in his hand and an entirely different matter if he was tortured to death by a Chaotic Evil priest.

The thing that I would warn the characters about is that if they decide to go down that path, don't be surprised if someone or something targets them just from a 'greatest threat' perspective.

27th Jan, 2016 - 10:59pm / Post ID: #

What would be the real reason for going down that road anyway? Are the players getting bored with the way the game is being presented so they feel they need to spice it up or are they looking to get back at the game master for something else? I personally wouldn't want to read anything like that because I don't think its entertaining to imagine it as I read but that's just me.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
27th Jan, 2016 - 11:32pm / Post ID: #

Too Violence PBP RPGs - Page 3

Some players just enjoy letting their ID run wild, plus, American culture tends to glamorize the archetype of the hard man who's willing to cross the line for the greater good.

30th Jan, 2016 - 4:04am / Post ID: #

Too Violence PBP RPGs Board Card & RPG Reviews - Page 3

I have a character in an adventure that could probably do this if she needed to after seeing what they did to the people we're supposed to be rescuing. The fact that they're heartless goblins makes it easier as well.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Too Much Violence In PBP RPGs?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,