Too Much Violence In PBP RPGs? - Page 2 of 4

I thought this would only be an issue for - Page 2 - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 14th Jan, 2016 - 4:58pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

19th September 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Ranger
Ranger
Cleric
Cleric
Wizard
Wizard
Fighter
Fighter
Paladin
Paladin
Barbarian
Barbarian
Warlock
Warlock
Rogue
Rogue
Draconian
Draconian

+  1 2 3 4 
Post Date: 12th Jan, 2016 - 3:28am / Post ID: #

Too Much Violence In PBP RPGs?
A Friend

Too Much Violence In PBP RPGs? - Page 2

I know I may be cold to this thought but in a role playing situation were playing someone were not. To me it's all part of the story. Should a Dungeon Master actively attempt to put it in, no. But if you have a character who is...I don't know, a Dread Gnome let's say. These Gnomes are basically Emo's that get satisfaction from seeing others in pain and suffering. Take this a step further, their now chaotic evil and are essentially a psychopath and serial killer who seeks to torture, harm, humiliate, etc. To their victim player or NPC alike. In this situation I'd ask the players what they felt comfortable with but if I had a player who's character totally would do this I as a Dungeon Master want that vivid picture, detail, and wordplay to see how others would react to create that realism that perhaps the rest of the party wouldn't want to see it go on to far and ask to see it stopped.
Should we mutilate genitalia in the vivid detail that many witnessed in the viral video pain Olympics, [hell] no. But if someone castrated someone I would go into some detail explaining how so and so screamed in agony whilst the player sadistically smiled, enjoying the act of demasculating and maiming the poor victim going slowly over the scrotum and masterly, or poorly carving off the genitalia. It's classy, sophisticated, and gets the point across enough to make you cringe in RL knowing what is going on and leaving a vague, but powerful image in your mind reading it.

That is the type of response any writer should want. For the audience to feel emotion towards the character. Some may even say, sympathy towards him/her. Especially if it's a villain or someone we have hated throughout the role play or story yet this happens. No matter how much you hate a person, you will feel sympathy over something like that, even a little.
Plus it's not like it will happen all the time, if not at all!

Sponsored Links:
12th Jan, 2016 - 1:29pm / Post ID: #

RPGs PBP Violence Too

See, the trick with that is, it's rare that I'm playing a character who would adventure with someone like that. If I'm risking my life for a living, I want to adventure with people who aren't sociopathic mass murderers, so if that scene crops up, it results in instant party conflict, and someone is making a new character.

Now, if everyone's on board with that from the start, then fine, whatever. But often, it hasn't been discussed ahead of time and someone is likely to end up unhappy.

Yes, any artist wants to evoke emotion. It's practically the definition of art. That said, you're more likely to evoke revulsion at the act than sympathy for the fictional character. And there are plenty of ways to evoke emotion for a character outside of graphically depicting their torture, especially a PC driven torture.

Again, depending on the game, perhaps torture is appropriate. I'd expect torture if I were running the Way of the Wicked adventure path, for instance. I just don't think the PCs being terrible people should be a default assumption.

Post Date: 14th Jan, 2016 - 1:02am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Too Much Violence In PBP RPGs? Reviews RPG & Card Board

(Laugh) yeah I totally agree. Honestly if I ever put torture in my game it would be a prisoner scenario. The party walks in to witness the prisoner chained to the wall. That way you can describe in GREAT detail to let people know just what happened to this poor NPC but at the same time you don't need to witness it, nor actually partake in it so it is far less likely that you would get offended by this. Even if the party were prisoners or something sounds are all the party would witness unless one was taken and it's not fun to keep them trapped. The torture would be just starting when the remainder of the party stopped it I hope (Laugh)!.

14th Jan, 2016 - 1:59pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 RPGs PBP Violence Too

I've seen where some games have a rating level although this is a public site so it might not work unless its a game for the mature / adult section in the community.

14th Jan, 2016 - 4:09pm / Post ID: #

RPGs PBP Violence Too

Its all about the depth of the description.

I can say "Rape", or "Torture" or "Kill" and it won't mean anything unless I go into long descriptive details about the act. The fade to black idea is a good way to handle that.

14th Jan, 2016 - 4:14pm / Post ID: #

I'm on board with that, for the most part. However, there's a difference when it's a PC, especially with hot button topics like sexualized violence.

Even if they don't describe the act, if a fellow PC was all, 'I rape the prisoner.' that will likely provoke a response.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
14th Jan, 2016 - 4:28pm / Post ID: #

Too Violence PBP RPGs - Page 2

international QUOTE (Corinthi)
'I rape the prisoner.' that will likely provoke a response.

That kind of 'action' won't be allowed here at least I don't think it will be but the site's mods can say better.

14th Jan, 2016 - 4:58pm / Post ID: #

Too Violence PBP RPGs Board Card & RPG Reviews - Page 2

I thought this would only be an issue for the Horror & Mystery Board so there is a Rules Thread that states it: Mystery & Horror Rules, Updates & News, however it applies to all Role-playing Games:

international QUOTE (JB)
Q. How far can my horror go or how scary can it be?
A. It can be as scary as you want it to be as the method is Play by Post, however there should be no graphic scenes surrounding things like sex, rape or anything like it. We also forbid the showing of hate or anguish towards or on child Characters (Age of innocence: 0-10).

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Too Much Violence In PBP RPGs?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,