Hundreds Mistakenly Test Positive For Hiv

Hundreds Mistakenly Test Positive Hiv - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 3rd Jul, 2008 - 1:19pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

22nd Jun, 2008 - 3:25pm / Post ID: #

Imagine taking a test for HIV and discover that is positive! Then realize it was all a mistake.

NEW YORK -  Hundreds of people who took an HIV test at New York City clinics between November 2007 and April of this year were incorrectly told they tested positive for the virus, the New York Post reported Sunday.

In total, 213 people reportedly tested positive for the virus after taking a rapid mouth-swab HIV test manufactured by OraSure technologies.

The reason for the incorrect results is being investigated by the Department of Health, the Post reported.

In the meantime, the DOH has stopped using the swab test, which was first introduced to New York City clinics in 2005.

But Dr. Susan Blank, assistant DOH commissioner and director of the bureau of STD control, told the Post that all individuals who were found to be positive after taking the swab test were immediately given another test - one that required a blood sample..

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 2nd Jul, 2008 - 3:44pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Hiv Positive Test Mistakenly Hundreds

I know if I was one of those people I would be getting a blood test done as soon as they said I tested positive. I would want a second opinion. I also know that I would be questioning how a person can get HIV because I have not done anything that would lead to me having HIV. Makes one wonder how reliable some of these swab tests really are.

2nd Jul, 2008 - 8:32pm / Post ID: #

Hundreds Mistakenly Test Positive For Hiv Health & Special Psychology

Blood tests are the best way to go. I also ponder how many marriages or relationships that have been damaged by this.

2nd Jul, 2008 - 10:49pm / Post ID: #

It just does not make sense to me for this situation to even occur. Responsibly those clinics should have been recommending retests for any positive results.
Anyone who tests positive for HIV should always have a second test done six months down the road. False positives are not all that uncommon. And if the test is given too early they could have a false negative until the antibodies are built up in the system.

We test all the patients who come into the hospital and if they test positive we always recommend a re-test. Also, those who test negative but have high risk lifestyles and suspect they may have been exposed to HIV are always retested six weeks after the initial test to be safe.

3rd Jul, 2008 - 12:21pm / Post ID: #

I was just at the blood bank making my regular donation and that is exactly what some of the nurses there were saying also alskann. If positive recheck with family doctor was immediately to be done and then again in 6 months to be sure.

If exposed to HIV they also said that one is to be checked every six months for a few years. Their view varied between 4 to 6 years. That is scary to me that one would have that lingering over your head for that long.

Post Date: 3rd Jul, 2008 - 1:19pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I know when I was in the Military we had to be tested for HIV once a year. I so enjoyed standing in line to have a vampire draw some blood out of me.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

> TOPIC: Hundreds Mistakenly Test Positive For Hiv

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,