Surgeon Removes Wrong Lung

Surgeon Removes Wrong Lung - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 26th Jun, 2008 - 3:11pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

26th Jun, 2008 - 3:04am / Post ID: #

Everytime I read stories like this I wonder how in the world these people got a license to practice medicine in the first place!

TRENTON, N.J. -  A New Jersey surgeon's medical license was suspended after state regulators found he removed the wrong lung from a patient, then tried to conceal the error.

The State Board of Medical Examiners found Dr. Santusht Perera moved a portion of the patient's right lung when he should have been removing a tumor in the left lung, the state Attorney General's Office said Wednesday.

Perera, according to the board, then told the patient that the right lung contained a life-threatening tumor, though there was no such growth. He also altered the patient's records to show he intended to operate on the right lung.

The board determined that Perera's actions constituted gross negligence.

The board said the "tragic error" could have been prevented if Dr. Perera had taken "the most basic and minimal of actions that should be taken by a surgeon in advance of surgery."

Perera, who practices at Hoboken University Medical Center, was assessed $81,000 in fines and reimbursement costs...

Sponsored Links:
26th Jun, 2008 - 5:39am / Post ID: #

Lung Wrong Removes Surgeon

You do realize that there are some that graduate in the lower half of their graduating class. Well, this guy was probably in the lower quartile of that half. You know...lungs dont grow back and since the patient was there to get part of one removed, I am thinking that he/she was depending on that other side to do a bit more over the remainder of their life. As a result, if it were up to me, I think the patient should be able to choose or not choose a part of the good doctor to lose.

It just cant be a part that will kill him...

I mean that is the least he did for the patient!

26th Jun, 2008 - 7:05am / Post ID: #

Surgeon Removes Wrong Lung Health & Special Psychology

I think it is tragic that the wrong lung was removed. Unfortunately these things happen way more often than they should. What I truly find to be unconscionable is the fact that he then tried to conceal his error. That is not only unethical behavior but immoral in my book.

26th Jun, 2008 - 2:44pm / Post ID: #

SO when the patient dies because his good lung was not there and the bad one is filled with tumors do we get to charge the surgeon with murder as that really what is the end result of this mix up.

I can understand how it might happen. May surgeons are subjected to long hours in operating rooms and the can get exhausted and mess up. I do not know if this was the case but either way the fine seems well minuscule compared to the error made.

Post Date: 26th Jun, 2008 - 3:11pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I think this is a direct result of the post graduate schools allowing cheating to go on so that they can pass their tests and graduate. Then they get into practicing medicine and they are not even doing that correctly.

I think the fact that he tried to cover up his mistake is the biggest issue I have here. I feel that he should be fined more than he was and this patient get reimbursed for all monies spent so far. I know if I was a family member I would be suing the doctor the hospital and anyone else I could think of.

> TOPIC: Surgeon Removes Wrong Lung

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,