What If We Are Wrong?

What Wrong - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 8th Jul, 2009 - 11:19pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Not how you perceived it...
20th Jun, 2009 - 12:45am / Post ID: #

What If We Are Wrong?

What If We Are Wrong?

We like to study various perspectives and thoughts on the Gospel and come to some conclusion within ourselves, but what if our take is wrong? Suppose no matter how sound our summary of a point of doctrine may be it is wrong because the eternities are not bound by the limitations of our thoughts or ideas.

Considering the above do you feel you will rather stay with what many term 'The Basics" or will you feel that it is better to seek, inquire and risk finding delight in being wrong for the moment? Now many of you reading this may say to yourself... I know I am right on this particular point but this Thread asks the question "What If" you are wrong?

Sponsored Links:
20th Jun, 2009 - 2:25am / Post ID: #

Wrong We What

I am 100 percent sure that we will all be wrong on many of our perceptions. I think we will realize that much of what we held important in this life will seem unimportant, and we will realize there were some things we should have focused on.

The longer I live, and the more people I meet, the more I realize that God judges not on what a person has, but what they do with what they have.
It would not surprise me that God blesses the faithful Christian, Muslim, or Jew as he does the faithful Latter Day Saint. I have always admired a faithful person in their religion, regardless of that religion.

I believe all are on a different level of progression, and it is silly to judge others on where they are on that journey. I have known Baptists, Lutherans, who I would say have a very strong relationship with their savior (Some who I would say have stronger relationships in certain aspects then me)

Professor Catherine Corman Parry stated
(As quoted by Elder Dallin Oaks)

""¦ While there are many things we must make judgments about, the sins of another or the state of our own souls in comparison to others seems not to be among them. "¦ Our own sins, no matter how few or seemingly insignificant, disqualify us as judges of other people's sins" 

I believe this can also be true of doctrine. We should never compare our thoughts on doctrine of the Church with others (saying we are right and another person is wrong), because ignorance no matter how insignificant disqualifies us to judge other peoples doctrines and beliefs. We can only know what has been revealed to us, and should not assume that a particular doctrine that someone else holds is wrong because it conflicts with our current world view.

But that would not stop me from searching for more truth, more doctrine, more insight into the workings of God. I may learn something that is not necessarily true at some time in my experiences, but that should not stop me in searching for further light and knowledge from the Lord. And if I am wrong on something, I would hope that the Lord would work to correct my ignorance.
It will all work out in the end, I believe.

20th Jun, 2009 - 2:42am / Post ID: #

What If We Are Wrong? Studies Doctrine Mormon

I believe our thoughts are similar on the matter, and I would dare say we may even find that we have become so wrapped into a 'traditional' aspect of 'Doctrine' which may really be tradition or perceptions of men that we are pulled entirely from the TRUE objective of life. This is why I love to read near death experiences. It is fascinating how in death we all seem to be reminded of several things:

1. Material things are of no consequence
2. God loves ALL his children
3. We all need to spread love rather than be wrapped up in limitations
4. We all need to just to do good and not be wrapped up in procedures

I think this is true Doctrine and all the other theories and precepts although fun to explore have a place. I do believe that it is important to seek though, we are commanded to do so, in doing so we are thought how to utilize love and make our own love more perfect until it become perfect love.

25th Jun, 2009 - 12:37am / Post ID: #

Wrong We What

Well, if we are wrong I hope each one of us would try to live our lives in the best way possible by doing the things that really matter such as serve those who are in need and trying our very best to teach our children to be good people. We should be doing that regardless I know but sometimes I find the Church and its leaders emphasizes way too much external programs and activities that distract you from the REAL things we should be doing. In my opinion, of course.

8th Jul, 2009 - 8:53pm / Post ID: #

Wrong We What

I get where you are coming from LDS concerning Church Programs, but I am wondering if members actually would do the things they needed to do unless there were some structure and organization (our own law of moses so to speak). I know how lazy I can get unless there is a plan of action (made by me or someone else). I freely admit this is one of my weaknesses and I have issues with my level of love for my fellow man (self imposed insulation from other, because of my personality). It seems that some church programs help me get out of my natural shell, to help others.

So JD, I like number 4 on your list, but I struggle to do things without having it planned a little bit. That is my issue and I intellectually see the need to simplify my life by loving God and my neighbor and using this as my guide. I just have to catch up with what I know to be the ideal, and then to simply help others out of a true love of Christ and my fellow man, rather then be commanded to do so(home teaching, service projects).

I suppose we are saying as Jesus stated

Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

I am sure that if the members of Church as well as others outside of the Church strove for this ideal, rather then just following procedure, we would all be better off.

8th Jul, 2009 - 11:02pm / Post ID: #

What If We Are Wrong?

QUOTE (dbackers @ 8-Jul 09, 8:53 PM)
I am wondering if members actually would do the things they needed to do unless there were some structure and organization (our own law of moses so to speak).

dbacker what would be the benefit of loving others if you're kind of being forced to do it? If thats how most members feel its very depressing for both the one giving and the one receiving.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
8th Jul, 2009 - 11:15pm / Post ID: #

What We Wrong

Not forced, but gently persuaded. We do not go from not loving our fellow man to loving him the next instance (at least not in my case). Again I am not projecting, but I feal that man sometimes needs reminders, symbols, scriptures, admonitions by prophets, and time to begin to love one's fellow. I would assume that this is part of the mortal experience, and why we have been given a time to learn and grow. Church programs can assist in this for some people, and for others just the command to love thy neighbor is enough.

It has not been for me, so I appreciate the reminders and programs.

8th Jul, 2009 - 11:19pm / Post ID: #

What We Wrong Mormon Doctrine Studies

QUOTE (dbackers @ 8-Jul 09, 11:15 PM)
Not forced, but gently persuaded. We do not go from not loving our fellow man to loving him the next instance (at least not in my case).

Fine but how long it will take for someone to get the message? I understand when you're new in the church and so on but come on 10, 20, 30 or more years in the church and folks still need nagging to do home teaching? I mean something is clearly wrong you know what am I saying?

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: What If We Are Wrong?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,