Buying Unfinished Homes

Buying Unfinished Homes - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 31st May, 2009 - 3:52am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 15th Jul, 2008 - 5:52pm / Post ID: #

Buying Unfinished Homes

Buying Unfinished Homes

Unfinished homes present a great way to save a lot of money and get yourself a new home in the process. If you buy an unfinished home, you can keep your monthly mortgage payment low and also lower your initial investment. You may also be able to buy a larger foundation size as well, which you can easily add on to and save money in the process.

Normally, unfinished starter homes leave the upstairs area unfinished. The question here, is just how much equity you want to put into an unfinished area. Sometimes though, an unfinished home may leave the roofing, framing, plumbing, or electrical aspects unfinished. Before you make a purchase, you should always decide how much money you have to finish what needs to be finished.

If the home you are looking at has plans for a garage, you can save thousands if you decide not to go with the garage. On the other hand, if there is another attached room that is planned to go onto the house, you can save just as much if you decide to forgo it. There are always ways that you can save money just by looking at the plans. Unfinished homes may have other planned on additions as well, in which you can save a lot of money just by leaving them out.

The is something that you should always keep in mind. When builders acquire a piece of property that they plan to build a home on, they will do everything they can do make as much money as possible on their homes. You might be able to get them to agree to some of these ideas, although they probably won't agree to all of them. Building homes can be a very profitable business - which is why most companies like to build their homes exactly as the plans call for.

When looking at unfinished homes, you also need to look at what banks are willing to accept. If you are planning to get a mortgage, most banks will need to ensure that the home is up to local codes and in living condition. What this means, is that there will need to be a living room, bedroom, and other rooms finished. If the home is lacking quite a bit in terms of being unfinished, most banks won't give you a mortgage.

Most banks are also known to turn down unfinished home mortgages that they feel will have trouble selling in the event that you default. Normally, the entire downstairs area will need to be finished, along with most of the landscaping. You might be able to do some of it yourself and save money, although in most cases the home builder will need to do a majority of the topsoil and grass just to satisfy the bank. Banks have strict requirements when it comes to unfinished homes, which is why you should always check with your bank before you invest in an unfinished home.

As most of us already know, buying an unfinished home provides an excellent way to get into the housing market and get your very own home. Unfinished homes also allow potential buyers the chance to grow into their home along with their family. If you are interested in saving money, you should be sure to talk to the builder. This way, you can go over the plans and decide what doesn't need to be there. In most cases you can save a lot of money and still get a home that will provide years and years of memories for yourself and your entire family.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 16th Jul, 2008 - 2:12pm / Post ID: #

Buying Unfinished Homes
A Friend

Homes Unfinished Buying

I am not sure I would try to get into a unfinished house. There may be problems with the inspections that will cost too much to make it worth while. I guess it is something that you would have to research carefully to see why it is not finished in the first place.

16th Jul, 2008 - 10:29pm / Post ID: #

Buying Unfinished Homes History & Civil Business Politics

One company in Hamilton Ontario back in the late 80's early 90's sold unfinished homes. The idea was to let lower income people into town homes. The inspections were done but upstairs and basement were unfinished on the inside walls out side ones were done to ensure the vapor barriers and such on the insulations was not harmed nor the insulation removed and sold.

It was a real mix of success levels many bought and over time were able to finish the homes nicely some handy people others just made a mess because they did not know how to do it nor could afford to have it done. Many were never even worked on. Result some people sold them and the buyers had lots of work to do. Really no different then buying any used home.

I would be demanding the inspections certificates on any I looked at though to see that they were done at some time at least or make it a condition of sale to have them passed prior purchase being paid for.

International Level: Senior Politician / Political Participation: 188 ActivistPoliticianSenior Politician 18.8%

17th Jul, 2008 - 4:53am / Post ID: #

Homes Unfinished Buying

In today's market it may be difficult to get a mortgage on an unfinished property. Lenders are, justifiably, becoming more conservative. Personally I would be hesitant to venture into this arena unless the home passed a rigorous inspection and I was assured I had the ability to complete the necessary work in a reasonable amount of time.
And I would seriously think twice before purchasing a home that the seller had purchased unfinished. As has been mentioned, the workmanship may be questionable. I saw many homes during my real estate career where the home owner went the do-it-yourself route to save costs but the result was shoddy and not necessarily up to code.

International Level: Activist / Political Participation: 32 ActivistPoliticianActivist 3.2%

31st May, 2009 - 3:52am / Post ID: #

Homes Unfinished Buying

It depends on the location. Here in Trinidad, buying an unfinished home is quite okay because you can finish it yourself and won't cost you as much as a new home.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

> TOPIC: Buying Unfinished Homes

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,