Aericsteele’s D&D 5e Questions & Support - Page 23 of 88

Pretty sure we're down two horses - Page 23 - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 31st Oct, 2016 - 5:55pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

16th September 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Rogue
Rogue
Paladin
Paladin
Ranger
Ranger
Fighter
Fighter
Cleric
Cleric
Wizard
Wizard
Draconian
Draconian
Warlock
Warlock
Barbarian
Barbarian

+  « First of 88 pgs.  19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  ...Latest (88) »
Create Dungeons Dragons Help Only those interested in this RPG Dungeons and Dragons
Create / Edit Character Dice Dice Maps RPG Etiquette RPG Etiquette SRD GM Stats
Aericsteele’s D&D 5e Questions & Support Related Information to Aericsteele’s D&D 5e Questions & Support
Post Date: 31st Oct, 2016 - 12:29pm / Post ID: #

Aericsteele’s D&D 5e Questions & Support
A Friend

Aericsteele’s D&D 5e Questions & Support - Page 23

Right, main use of medicine checks is to identify diseases and other medical conditions, and to stabilize a dying character. Presumably, it could also be used for longer term mundane medical care, especially in conjunction with the herbalism kit as Mradoric was trying, but there are no established rules for it, so it is all up to the Dungeon Master what can and cannot be done.

As for the basic potions of healing, they aren't well defined on their construction method, and there's a fair amount of debate concerning them.

Perhaps the biggest argument against treating them under the magic item creation rules is that would mean the creator would need 100 gp in crafting materials to make the things, and be a third level spellcaster. This is in spite of being able to buy them on the market for 50 gp, and the herbalism kit strongly suggesting mundane characters can use it.

A considerably more popular ruling is that while a basic healing potion is composed of magical substances found in plants, it is an alchemical item rather than an enchanted one, meaning it can be made using the mundane crafting rules.

If one is going by the latter ruling, and do not tweak the crafting rules at all (They badly need tweaking IMO, but that's another issue), then Mradoric would need to find and/or buy 25 gp of appropriate materials, and spend ten days making the potion.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 31st Oct, 2016 - 12:40pm

Sponsored Links:
31st Oct, 2016 - 2:15pm / Post ID: #
Carrick Granitebranch
Ranger 3
Character
Lieutenant / Scout
Character Sheet ◀
Not Not Active

Support and Questions Dragons and Dungeons Aericsteeles

The Scout of the Deep Wilds says...

The way I've handled the herbalism kit in the use of crafting healing potions in my own games is I have made a list (Loosely based on skyrim ingredients) of different components needed in order to make a potion. Now it can get into a bit of "Book keeping" but as this is a text based medium, I don't see it being any more or less difficult, but the player is solely responsible for attempting to find and harvest these items, meaning I don't just say, "Oh, and you can make a survival check to see if you find any of that weird mushroom you're looking for." She knows it's her responsibility to keep up with that and when she does ask, I usually have her roll a die to see how much of that item she finds based on her initial survival check and the rarity of the ingredient and the area in which they are in.

Once the player has acquired all of the necessary ingredients for the potion I then allow them to spend down time trying to create the potion, which of course varies depending on what potion. Here is an example from my game, feel free to use it here, or not:

(Assuming all ingredients are gathered)
Standard Healing Potion: Time - 4 hours; DC 16 medicine check to create or the attempt fails and all ingredients are lost in the process.

And again, it can be scaled to accommodate your specific desires for this game. This is just how I personally run my game. Hope it's helpful!

Post Date: 31st Oct, 2016 - 2:40pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Aericsteele’s D&D 5e Questions & Support Archive Pathfinder / D&D

we have three negotiators jockeying for the return response tongue.gif Want to pick one to let stand or… ?

Leo's inclined to draw attention, and with it potential consequences, to himself, and he's no slouch at negotiating, but he has to admit the others have an advantage in terms of familiarity and the lingo.

31st Oct, 2016 - 2:56pm / Post ID: #
Carrick Granitebranch
Ranger 3
Character
Lieutenant / Scout
Character Sheet ◀
Not Not Active

Page 23 Support and Questions Dragons and Dungeons Aericsteeles

The Scout of the Deep Wilds says...

Well, I suppose if the initiative tracker was meant for this exchange, then Corren's response would probably go before mine. If that's how the Dungeon Master is wanting this to play out.

31st Oct, 2016 - 3:26pm / Post ID: #
Dungeon Master
Deity
Character
Game Master Lock
Base Has a Home Base
Active Player Active Role-player!

Support and Questions Dragons and Dungeons Aericsteeles

The Maker says...

I mostly had everyone roll initiative in the event combat does ensue, but it might be good to apply it to this social interaction as well although the problem with that is that initiative is usually calculated by dexterity which has very little to do with someones ability to think and react quickly in social situations. That would probably be based more on Intelligence or Wisdom.

I have actually been toying with developing a home brew set of rules to handle "Social combat" and this may be a good opportunity to develop and play test this. Does anyone already have a system in place for social combat in their games?

I do like the way Brandonfett handles herbalism but it does demand more book keeping and some development which, to be honest, I will likely push onto the player. What do you think of this KNtoran?

Post Date: 31st Oct, 2016 - 4:24pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

There might be homebrew rules for social combat somewhere, but I have yet to run across it. It may actually prove worthwhile to look at anything of the sort made for 3.5 or some other game system and adapt it.

In any case, if we're letting initiative handle it, then Corren was the first to respond.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 31st Oct, 2016 - 5:42pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Aericsteele’s D&D 5e Questions & Support - Page 23

Did we retrieve the horses before this happened. I think two of the horses ran off and we were in the process of finding them when the father was shot. From the looks of things if we hadn't found them prior we are down two horses for good.

Post Date: 31st Oct, 2016 - 5:55pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Aericsteele’s D&D 5e Questions & Support D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Page 23

Pretty sure we're down two horses for good. Didn't get a chance for people to run down the strays. Those not wounded can take turns riding on the way out.

> TOPIC: Aericsteele’s D&D 5e Questions & Support

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.