Aericsteele’s D&D 5e Questions & Support - Page 31 of 88

Yes, I think it is odd that you don't - Page 31 - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 30th Nov, 2016 - 6:14am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

08th September 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Ranger
Ranger
Rogue
Rogue
Paladin
Paladin
Barbarian
Barbarian
Draconian
Draconian
Cleric
Cleric
Fighter
Fighter
Wizard
Wizard
Warlock
Warlock

+  « First of 88 pgs.  27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35  ...Latest (88) »
Create Dungeons Dragons Help Only those interested in this RPG Dungeons and Dragons
Create / Edit Character Dice Dice Maps RPG Etiquette RPG Etiquette SRD GM Stats
Aericsteele’s D&D 5e Questions & Support Related Information to Aericsteele’s D&D 5e Questions & Support
Post Date: 28th Nov, 2016 - 9:27pm / Post ID: #

Aericsteele’s D&D 5e Questions & Support
A Friend

Aericsteele’s D&D 5e Questions & Support - Page 31

Indeed, I must say, I don't mind sending a character to a fitting death, especially in a manner his companions will be sharing the tale of for years to come. But I do tend to prefer their tales last more than two days of in game time tongue.gif.

Sponsored Links:
28th Nov, 2016 - 9:32pm / Post ID: #
Dungeon Master
Deity
Character
Game Master Lock
Base Has a Home Base
Active Player Active Role-player!

Support and Questions Dragons and Dungeons Aericsteeles

The Maker says...

I'm going to wait for Mradoric and Carrick to post their actions so that I can include the majority of this next round in one post. You guys are about two miles out from Durmista I believe so I will try to calculate how many rounds it is going to take Malek to get back to the village. Given the terrain I don't think that Malek would be able to push the horse to maintain a full on sprint because he is unable to travel in a straight line and being forced to weave between the trees slows him down some, but he could basically use a move action and the dash action.

If anyone does hit 0hp go ahead and make the appropriate death saves. The rule of course remains that death is a real possibility but if you do fail all three saving death saves do not start working on a new character just yet because I have something more interesting planned if this were to happen. I make exceptions to the rule about combat and death when I have something fun in mind (Well, fun for me anyway).

Post Date: 28th Nov, 2016 - 9:39pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Aericsteele’s D&D 5e Questions & Support Archive Pathfinder / D&D

Oh no. This sounds like trouble for us. The Dungeon Master is having too much fun. :(Aeric, on my turn do I get another constitution check to overcome the poison? How long am I poisoned for? Just hoping to pry a little information from you.

Reconcile Edited: Kyrroeth on 28th Nov, 2016 - 9:39pm

28th Nov, 2016 - 9:53pm / Post ID: #
Dungeon Master
Deity
Character
Game Master Lock
Base Has a Home Base

Page 31 Support and Questions Dragons and Dungeons Aericsteeles

The Maker says...

The paralytic that is in the dart is fairly potent and meant to incapacitate for a decent amount of time (If Zinna was proficient in the nature skill I would let her make a check to estimate how long the effect may last), but I will allow Zinna to make a CON save every round to recover enough so that she can move a little bit and speak. If she does make the save then she will only be able to take one action (Either standard or move action) and any attacks, skill checks, etc that require Strength, con, or Dexterity will be made at disadvantage until the poison wears off.

If she does make the save I will also allow the use of cure wounds to alleviate the poison and return her to normal function (Though in this case it will only alleviate the poison and not restore HP).

Reconcile Edited: Aericsteele on 28th Nov, 2016 - 9:55pm

Post Date: 30th Nov, 2016 - 1:30am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Support and Questions e Dragons and Dungeons Aericsteeles

A goblin that takes 9 points and stays on its feet? We ARE in trouble… can we get a full count and disposition of the orcs and goblins, please?

Post Date: 30th Nov, 2016 - 4:12am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Well our end of it is pretty much done. Mradoric is the only one left and he is facing at least six orcs. I'm not the Dungeon Master but offhand I think there are ten orcs left with 9 by us and one by Carrick. The elves killed one, Carrick killed one, as well as Mradoric and Sir Leo killing one each. There were 14 orcs and 6 goblins originally. I guess there are 3 goblins left that Corren is fighting. Good luck to all. Get away while you can. I don't want everyone to die. sad.gif

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 30th Nov, 2016 - 5:33am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Aericsteele’s D&D 5e Questions & Support - Page 31

I killed two thank you very much tongue.gif

I think Corren and Carrick have a chance to get away. But I think Mradoric's only shot to do so was in the round Leo charged the horde, his ki fueled running gambit wouldn't have worked with the orcs on his heels, but it might have with them distracted. Its too late now though either way.

Don't be blaming anyone for this though, thanks to that bloody bonus action dash of theirs, this outcome, or something like it, was pretty much inevitable from the moment the orcs charged while we were standing about in the woods, even had we all remained on horseback. Let's say we needed 500' of distance to break line of sight with the orcs (A very generously short distance for horse riders floundering through the woods) At a dash, we'd gain 30' a round on the orcs. Given the 100' lead we had to start with, it would take us 14 rounds to break away from the horde. With three of us subject to the reflex saves, that makes 42 saves to pass along the way. The odds of someone failing and falling under those circumstances are very very close to 1. And then Leo would've turned back to try and help, potentially followed by some of the others, and we're back to what we have now, except with even less support, as we've left the scouts and hidden archers completely behind.

In any case, I'm going to have to call a personal record broken. I've never lost a character in the below L5 stages of a game before, and this is the first I've lost at all in several years. Even if Leo survives, it'l be due to things totally out of my control. Figures that it would be one of the only truly selfless characters I've played to end that streak.

P.S. Does anyone else think it is odd that you don't add your constitution modifier to death saving throws? Mine isn't huge, but it would still come in handy right about now.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 30th Nov, 2016 - 6:04am

30th Nov, 2016 - 6:14am / Post ID: #
Dungeon Master
Deity
Character
Game Master Lock
Base Has a Home Base

Aericsteele’s D&D 5e Questions & Support D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Page 31

The Maker says...

Yes, I think it is odd that you don't add CON to your death saves. I think I will allow it because it makes more sense to me than it being purely fate. A physically stout character should be able to stabilize easier than a frail one in my opinion.

Yeah, open combat against twenty orcs is definitely rough and the dice did not always work in your favor. I would not make the players roll that many saves though; 42 saving throws is crazy and there is a policy in the opening post that references this; I believe under the Let it Ride Rule (As an example Malek only made one roll). Even at the significant disadvantage that the party finds itself in they have managed to put a good sized dent in the orc war band. They started with twenty and I believe they are down to eleven at this point. That's with the mage gone and the bard incapacitated so, not bad really.

I also rolled each combatant's HP individually rather than going with the average; thats how a goblin was able to take a 9hp hit because they have 2d6 hit dice

As I indicated earlier, don't draw up a new character just yet….

Reconcile Edited: Aericsteele on 30th Nov, 2016 - 6:19am

> TOPIC: Aericsteele’s D&D 5e Questions & Support

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.