Genetically Poised To Sin - Page 2 of 3

Just to let you all know we have a Thread - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 22nd Jul, 2008 - 10:53am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
21st Jul, 2008 - 10:22pm / Post ID: #

Genetically Poised To Sin - Page 2

Or perhaps I just know what some women are capable of better than you do?

QUOTE (McKay @ 21-Jul 08, 5:21 PM)
In a study of criminals it was found that many of these, mostly males (based on Jb's point) had a biological imbalance that seemed to set them off to be the rebels of society.

It is true that men have more tendency toward aggression and violence. If we are speaking of violent crime then men come out ahead of women. However, if we are speaking of commission of sin in general, I still profess that the propensity to sin is non-gender specific. Children are born innocent and sin is a character flaw that comes from either not being taught or having total disregard for correct principles. I have worked with criminals and anti-social personalities for years and have yet to meet one person who was "born that way." Even the most testosterone loaded male has the capability to choose to channel his energy into positive and constructive outlets. It all comes down to choice and accountability.

Rather off topic, but...
JB- No- not from active personal experience, but a lot of vicarious experience. laugh.gif

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please edit your Post rather than double Post. See Constructive Posting Policy.

Sponsored Links:
22nd Jul, 2008 - 2:37am / Post ID: #

Sin Poised Genetically

I think men and women sin differently. For example gossiping and backbiting can be as damaging as the sins that men are more inclined to do, but they seem to be more prevalent in Women (this is just my observation).

Each Gender has its particular sins that are related their particular Genetic make up. Men's sins often revolve around the natural or base man, resulting from man's innate desire to control his surroundings and to please his selfish desires. Women's sins seem to revolve around their control of relationships with others, and the manipulations that come with controlling how these relationships benefit them.

Of course these are generalizations, but I think each Gender has to fight these particular natures.

22nd Jul, 2008 - 3:13am / Post ID: #

Genetically Poised To Sin Studies Doctrine Mormon

QUOTE (dbackers @ 21-Jul 08, 9:37 PM)
Women's sins seem to revolve around their control of relationships with others, and the manipulations that come with controlling how these relationships benefit them.

You make us sound so evil. cheesy.gif It is interesting to see things from the male point of view. I think women will sin due to jealousy or to compensate for their vulnerabilities and insecurities. But they also commit sin due to selfish desires.

I will agree with you that men and women generally have propensities toward different types of sin. But one gender does not sin more than another, nor does their genetic make up (other than the natural man) make them any more or less likely to sin.

dbackers wrote:
Men's sins often revolve around the natural or base man, resulting from man's innate desire to control his surroundings and to please his selfish desires.

I can't argue with you on this, perhaps throw a little carnal desire into the mix. Both men and women sin due to a self-centered world view. "If there is nothing in it for me, why sin?" Even when the offense at face value profits another it is usually done to increase the regard of that other.

Reconcile Edited: alskann on 22nd Jul, 2008 - 3:14am

Post Date: 22nd Jul, 2008 - 3:17am / Post ID: #

Genetically Poised To Sin
A Friend

Page 2 Sin Poised Genetically

I think people definitely have predispositions to sin more or less depending on certain factors. First, I think the biggest factor is the level of a person's spiritual maturity as developed in the pre-existence. The Lord revealed to Abraham that even then there were greater and lesser spirits. I think we all progressed in different ways and to different degrees even before coming here and of course that would have a bearing on our spiritual maturity here. Second, I believe we are born into imperfect bodies, sometimes imperfect in brain and hormone chemistry. Just as one person may accept a handicap or form, others may accept a handicap of function--particularly in terms of predisposition to depression and addictions. I'm not saying all psychological disfunctions can be explained that way, but it doesn't seem unreasonable that trials such as these could be given to people just as any other trial. Third, as alskann pointed out, there is also the factor of "nurture." Scientists can pick apart the brain to every last electron searching for the "nature" explanation for our every action, but that still doesn't refute the obvious affect of bad parenting, destructive friends, or terrible life experiences. I believe these three factors can definitely result in an overwhelming predisposition to sin throughout a person's life. I think that's why we are admonished not to judge others and why everyone will be judged much more mercifully than we realize.

22nd Jul, 2008 - 4:15am / Post ID: #

Sin Poised Genetically

Very well said.
What about those who have a chemical imbalance or imperfect brain? It seems to me they would not be held accountable for that which is beyond their control or understanding. So then is it a sin? I work with those who are acutely mentally ill. Some live in their own reality and commit acts that would be considered crimes and/or sins. Yet legally they are not liable for these acts because they lack the ability to fully understand the consequences and repercussions of such acts. There are also those who do have the ability to understand and yet they consistently blame their actions on their illness.
Thus it is with sinners. If they truly have no understanding or control, how can they be sinners. If they do have the understanding then saying they have a chemical imbalance or imperfection is just an excuse and they are still culpable for their actions.

D&C 29:49-50:
49 And, again, I say unto you, that whoso having knowledge, have I not commanded to repent?
  50 And he that hath no understanding, it remaineth in me to do according as it is written.

22nd Jul, 2008 - 4:24am / Post ID: #

Genetically Poised To Sin

alskann

You make us sound so evil. cheesy.gif 

No, no, no women are not more evil or good then men.

I talk to my wife about this on occasion and she is the one who will see a woman on TV (Namely the Bachelor) and how they will role their eyes at each other and will talk about each other behind their backs while saying how they are friends in front of their face. As hard as it is to believe, my wife has had a harder view on the Natural women then the natural man.

I really don't need to point out the faults of men as they are too obvious and numerous to count.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
22nd Jul, 2008 - 7:19am / Post ID: #

Genetically Poised Sin - Page 2

QUOTE (dbackers @ 21-Jul 08, 11:24 PM)
I talk to my wife about this on occasion and she is the one who will see a woman on TV (Namely the Bachelor) and how they will role their eyes at each other and will talk about each other behind their backs while saying how they are friends in front of their face.

Women can be catty and back stabbing for sure. But I think inherently most people desire to be good. They are more apt to behave badly in group situations than individually. Programs like the bachelor are artificial environments and I seriously doubt much of reality T.V. is truly based in reality.
No offense to anyone who enjoys watching them, but I have to wonder what it says about our society that we have made these shows so popular. Regardless, the men and women on these shows are no more genetically predisposed to sin than anyone else.

22nd Jul, 2008 - 10:53am / Post ID: #

Genetically Poised Sin Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

Just to let you all know we have a Thread called, "Women More Spiritual" where this was well 'debated', I believe McKay is focusing more on genetics (passing on of traits from one human to the next) rather than gender (specifics related to male / female).

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Genetically Poised To Sin

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,