Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support - Page 369 of 948

Your proficiency bonus is +3, and Dexterity - Page 369 - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 30th Aug, 2017 - 3:12pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

18th October 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Wizard
Wizard
Ranger
Ranger
Warlock
Warlock
Paladin
Paladin
Cleric
Cleric
Fighter
Fighter
Barbarian
Barbarian
Draconian
Draconian
Rogue
Rogue

+  « First of 948 pgs.  365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373  ...Latest (948) »
Closed
Daishain’s 5th Edition D&D RPG Main Thread Dungeons and Dragons
This RPG is CLOSED GM Stats
Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support Related Information to Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support
NOTE: Anything related to your schedule, why you could not Post, issues at home, your plans for the future and so forth go in your Introduction, NOT in this Thread. You can access your Introduction at anytime- use the button that says "My Intro" within your Posts or from your Profile. Additionally, to befriend someone, get to to know them, carry on small talk and so forth please use their Introduction by clicking on the same "My Intro" button on their Profile or Post.
Post Date: 28th Aug, 2017 - 7:07pm / Post ID: #

Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support
A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support - Page 369

Thomas, you need to re-roll almost everything. You rolled d4s for your attacks, and d20 for damage. As for dual-wielding, there is info in the rules, which I do not have with me here at work, but should be available on-line somewhere.

Sponsored Links:
28th Aug, 2017 - 7:20pm / Post ID: #
Zarra Glannath
Arcane Trickster 9
Character
Follower / Middle Rear
Character Sheet ◀
Associates Has 2 Associates
Base Has a Home Base
Active Player Active Role-player!

Support QampA Rules Dragons and Dungeons Daishains

The Quiet Shadow says...

The d4s were for damage and the d20s for attacks, and taking a look at my post. Okay then, I see a lot to be confused about. Perhaps there was a glitch?

Rerolling attacks and damage.

Reconcile Edited: Thomaslee on 28th Aug, 2017 - 7:44pm

Zarra Glannath Results:
  • P. Attack (daggers) on D20 (+3): 15 (1 roll)
  • S. Attack (daggers) on D20 (+0): 11 (1 roll)
  • Damage (daggers) on D4 (+0): 3, 2 (2 rolls)

Post Date: 28th Aug, 2017 - 7:33pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support Archive Pathfinder / D&D

To PaulNelson's point, don't forget your ability modifiers too.

Regarding duel wielding off the top of my head, there are a few factors. (Please confirm exact wording in the book or the Dungeon Master, but this is the general idea.)

- Any character can duel wield if the hand is free (I.e. Not carrying a shield, etc.). This may conflict with spellcasting, however. To cast spells requiring hand movements while holding two weapons or weapon and shield and not worry about the rules regarding stowing a weapon, etc. You'd need the Warcaster Feat.

- Duel wielding requires BOTH weapons be Light weapons. You can get around this with another Feat (Two-Weapon Fighting I believe).

- You do not add your ability modifier to the damage roll for off hand strikes. You can get around this and add that damage with a fighting style such as Fighters and Paladins receive.

- Your off hand strike is a Bonus Action. Since no character ever gets more than one Bonus Action per round (Ever, not even with Action Surge), you'd have to make choices about what to do with your bonus action. Characters often have to choose whether to strike with the off hand or heal, or in the case of a Rogue choose the off hand attack or their Cunning Action as their one Bonus Action. (Personally, I find situation choices to be lots of fun so you're not doing the same thing every round and are versatile!)

- Due to the Bonus Action status above, you will never strike more than once in a round with your off hand. A fighter with 3+ attacks per Attack action still only attacks with the off hand once. (I can think of a few random Bonus Actions that might have multiple strikes such as maybe a Monk or the Quiver spell that allows two arrows or something as a Bonus Action, but I doubt either would be very relevant to duel wielding melee weapons.)

- I believe you have to take the Attack action in a turn to use the off hand attack as a Bonus Action, thus you can't cast a spell and then swing the off hand. (I'm pretty confident about everything in this post but this one the least. Would need to verify. Edit: Oh yeah, there are definitely classes that get around this via class abilities such as Eldritch Knight at level 7 and perhaps Valor Bard, etc.)

*In conclusion, carrying around a second dagger for the off hand probably could never hurt for Zarra. First, daggers are Light so you're good there. If you need to use your Cunning Action to dash or something having that other dagger in your hand doesn't prevent that. The damage is less than the main hand but it's better than no attack at all if you're not using your Bonus Action for something else. Spellcasting would be the only tricky thing but since you can draw or stow one weapon per round you could always be casting away and then get into melee and draw that second weapon, or do the opposite I believe. Basically if you do it right it will be useful despite some limitations, and shouldn't limit your other abilities in any way.*

Hope those bullets are helpful!

PS Perhaps it's a second or third chance to land Sneak Attack if you miss with your primary Attack strikes, too?

Reconcile Edited: Cinder on 28th Aug, 2017 - 7:37pm

Post Date: 29th Aug, 2017 - 3:36am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 369 Support QampA Rules Dragons and Dungeons e Daishains

In response to Abn's indirect query in the main thread:

Sheathing or drawing a weapon counts as a character's one free object interaction per round. Yes, by default you can only draw one at a time. (Dual Wielder feat gets rid of that restriction.)

So no, drawing the sunblade would not eat Fay's bonus action. I would let Fay draw his second weapon as a bonus action, but there doesn't seem to be any benefit to doing so over just waiting for round 2.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 29th Aug, 2017 - 3:40am

Post Date: 30th Aug, 2017 - 12:14pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Support QampA Rules Dragons and Dungeons e Daishains

Are we waiting on anyone to post? Just curious. (More words so I can post.).

Post Date: 30th Aug, 2017 - 12:27pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I've been… distracted, post coming up shortly

Thomas. You forgot to add your full bonuses to your attacks. Also, True Strike takes a standard action to cast. You can cast it, or you can attack, not both at once.

Generally speaking, True Strike is useful when about to make a single attack that must hit, but it doesn't hurt to delay a turn. An assassin aiming at his target from cover for instance. Using it in a prolonged engagement is generally not the best idea.

That stated, even without True Strike, you do still get Sneak attack bonus damage, since you have allies next to your target.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 30th Aug, 2017 - 12:28pm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
30th Aug, 2017 - 2:36pm / Post ID: #
Zarra Glannath
Arcane Trickster 9
Character
Follower / Middle Rear
Character Sheet ◀
Associates Has 2 Associates
Base Has a Home Base
Active Player Active Role-player!

Daishain's 5e D&D Rules Q&A Support - Page 369

The Quiet Shadow says...

I didn't realize that she'd be able to Sneak Attack without True Strike, though my intention was for the her to cast True Strike the first round and then attack the second round.

What bonuses was I missing to attack?

Reconcile Edited: Thomaslee on 30th Aug, 2017 - 2:37pm

Post Date: 30th Aug, 2017 - 3:12pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D Rules Q&A Support D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Page 369

Your proficiency bonus is +3, and Dexterity is +3. This would make both your primary and secondary attack rolls a 1d20+6.

You don't have the 2 weapon fighting style, so you don't get to add Dexterity to damage on the secondary attack, but the primary one should be 1d4+3.

> TOPIC: Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.