Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support - Page 558 of 948

Nikolaos doesn't have the massive - Page 558 - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 12th Dec, 2017 - 3:45pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

18th September 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Barbarian
Barbarian
Fighter
Fighter
Rogue
Rogue
Paladin
Paladin
Draconian
Draconian
Warlock
Warlock
Wizard
Wizard
Cleric
Cleric
Ranger
Ranger

+  « First of 948 pgs.  554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562  ...Latest (948) »
Closed
Daishain’s 5th Edition D&D RPG Main Thread Dungeons and Dragons
This RPG is CLOSED GM Stats
Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support Related Information to Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support
NOTE: Anything related to your schedule, why you could not Post, issues at home, your plans for the future and so forth go in your Introduction, NOT in this Thread. You can access your Introduction at anytime- use the button that says "My Intro" within your Posts or from your Profile. Additionally, to befriend someone, get to to know them, carry on small talk and so forth please use their Introduction by clicking on the same "My Intro" button on their Profile or Post.
Post Date: 12th Dec, 2017 - 6:56am / Post ID: #

Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support
A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support - Page 558

In regards to Ignazio's query, yes actually, it does make a difference, trade that spell slot in for ignoring the 10 HP hit.

Will that be his pattern for the future as well? Shield every time there's a hit?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 12th Dec, 2017 - 2:22pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Support QampA Rules Dragons and Dungeons e Daishains

This is going to be repetitive for most of the group, but Anron, I want to explain the rules a bit. Each round you are allowed one action as well as movement. Depending on feats, abilities and spells, you can also take one bonus action, and maybe a reaction. You currently have no movement due to the grapple, so we don't need to worry about that. For your action you can do a number of different things. If you choose to attack, you attack as many times as your character allows. For you I think that is once. You could cast a spell. Many of the other things you could do are prevented by the grapple. If you choose to attempt to break the grapple, that is all you can do. No further actions, no attack.

Now since you can still attack with no penalty, you can do that. And as a paladin, when you strike if you have spell slots you can smite, which would probably be effective against undead. And on this current round, if you choose to hold your action until Cratol moves into position, you can get Advantage on the attack. Which means you roll twice and take the better roll. So if you use the rolls posted the modified 20 would score a hit.

But if you stick with attempting to break the grapple, I think your roll is a bit higher. You rolled adding 3, which is you Strength modifier. But I think you have Proficienty in Athletics, which means you would be able to add your Proficiency Bonus, though I am not sure what that is. I do not know if Daishain would allow Advantage on the attempt to break the grapple if Cratol is in position or not. Regardless, next round, see where everyone is and then decide your action. Sorry for the lecture, but I am trying to give us the best chance using all the rules.

Post Date: 12th Dec, 2017 - 2:42pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support Archive Pathfinder / D&D

Thank you Daishain. His pattern for shield is higher lvs of threat. Given our circumstances, it fits. If there were only a few cultists he might not. Hope that makes sense.

Poljen, I suppose I underestimate how many minions there are. Do we have any time of their numbers? In any case, I think falling back now would be a good idea.

Post Date: 12th Dec, 2017 - 2:56pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 558 Support QampA Rules Dragons and Dungeons e Daishains

This is the first fight I've entered in this campaign with only cantrips available. Clerics don't exactly have great cantrips to cause damage. No eldritch blast by any means. sad.gif.

Post Date: 12th Dec, 2017 - 2:58pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Support QampA Rules Dragons and Dungeons e Daishains

Good stuff from the newcomers! Lots of abilities being used by both to help out. It's nice to have some reinforcements just in time for this fight (And heals at the end of last fight)! Thanks to the heals and attacks on cultists near Velon, too.

I agree, and Velon does in character, with the sentiments about pulling back. We've stuck our necks out to engage them with more options open and now we know the situation much better. We don't want to get mowed down by the archers for too long. Spacing and Tazskan being grappled do make pulling back a bit tougher. I almost had Velon call out and disengage from his foes this round but decided to wait a round since he was healed and more magic seems to be on the way to deal with the cultists. We'll play it by ear. Since getting the vampire to move is likely tough, I could see people falling back inside the control room while others fight the vampire close up in the dining room. It divides us a bit, but forces the archers to take at least a turn just to move. Fighting in the control room is ok, but I'd hate to give them a chance at Poppo (Or Zarra) or to smash the Queen free out of spite so we can't have the castle. Let's at least contain them if we fight in the room.

Edit: Hey, look at it this way for Lora. Those sacred flame blasts can still be the difference in the battle. If she mops up the damaged, low HP cultists it saves other from having to use their Action to kill them, and from getting hit by them that round or the next. I'm guessing Daishain is generous about choosing targets for us in such cases. (Like if you specify that you attack cultist X but someone higher on the initiative order has already killed them, I'm sure he thinks on behalf of your character and chooses the next most suitable target with your characters intentions in mind.

Velon too is mostly just going to be using his one cantrip per round, although it's pretty potent when he hits with the extra fire damage and the +Charisma bracelet/chain. He's saving his last bit of magic for either vampire smites or a dire emergency.

Reconcile Edited: Cinder on 12th Dec, 2017 - 3:12pm

Post Date: 12th Dec, 2017 - 3:21pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

The only problem with pulling back into the control room is it limits our AOE spells. If we have two tanks at the door way blocking them out then no more fire balls or lightning bolts. The two that need to tank are also the two that need to go help with the vampire.

Cinder, I would imagine the paladin smites to be very effective versus the vampire. I'm looking forward to that showdown.

You are right about every little bit helps. It's just monotonous to keep spamming the same thing. At least cantripa are unlimited unlike 3.5.

Reconcile Edited: Kyrroeth on 12th Dec, 2017 - 3:24pm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 12th Dec, 2017 - 3:35pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D Rules Q&A Support - Page 558

I hear you, that part can't be much fun. I like characters that give me tactical options each turn, so I'm enjoying Velon's sorcery points, slots, smites, etc. Those are running pretty short at this point. I'd be out already if it weren't for that ring and the extra slots / sorcery points it gives. No offense to Paul of course, regarding options. Just being THE MAN and semi-unstoppable is fun too. At this point though even the barbarian has choices around Reckless or no, Rage or no, which weapon to use, etc. So I'm sure Paul is having fun being the mighty Snow Leopard!

12th Dec, 2017 - 3:45pm / Post ID: #
Nikolaos Willahelm

Character
Novice / Left Rear Flank
Character Sheet Lock
Base Has a Home Base
Active Player Active Role-player!

Daishain's 5e D&D Rules Q&A Support D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Page 558

The Awakened says...

Nikolaos doesn't have the massive HP pool that some of the party members have so will probably have to retreat into either the dining room or the control room next turn.
I didn't realize that Lora was out of spell slots. Do other players besides me have healing options at the moment?

Reconcile Edited: Kingowlbear on 12th Dec, 2017 - 3:45pm

> TOPIC: Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.