Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support - Page 853 of 948

Taz, as a Warlock, all his spells are always - Page 853 - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 27th Jul, 2018 - 1:09pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

19th September 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Ranger
Ranger
Draconian
Draconian
Fighter
Fighter
Barbarian
Barbarian
Paladin
Paladin
Cleric
Cleric
Rogue
Rogue
Warlock
Warlock
Wizard
Wizard

+  « First of 948 pgs.  849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857  ...Latest (948) »
Closed
Daishain’s 5th Edition D&D RPG Main Thread Dungeons and Dragons
This RPG is CLOSED GM Stats
Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support Related Information to Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support
NOTE: Anything related to your schedule, why you could not Post, issues at home, your plans for the future and so forth go in your Introduction, NOT in this Thread. You can access your Introduction at anytime- use the button that says "My Intro" within your Posts or from your Profile. Additionally, to befriend someone, get to to know them, carry on small talk and so forth please use their Introduction by clicking on the same "My Intro" button on their Profile or Post.
Post Date: 27th Jul, 2018 - 12:14am / Post ID: #

Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support
A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support - Page 853

Well Thomas, if you find that the speed of actions in a game full of magic, dragons, other-worldly beings and people who can survive a fall from a great height due to their "Hit Points" as the last straw over which you can no longer suspend your disbelief, maybe you can try to find a game, or create one yourself, that suits your level of 'reality.'

Sponsored Links:
27th Jul, 2018 - 12:25am / Post ID: #
Zarra Glannath
Arcane Trickster 9
Character
Follower / Middle Rear
Character Sheet ◀
Associates Has 2 Associates
Base Has a Home Base
Active Player Active Role-player!

Support QampA Rules Dragons and Dungeons Daishains

The Quiet Shadow says...

I never even talked about hit points, and I understand it's more of an abstraction. My apologies if I came off as saying I didn't find things realistic enough, because that's farthest from what I was getting at.

If anything I understand fully how Dungeons & Dragons and other fantasy settings are far from "Realistic", so don't go on like that and tell me I should find another game because I somehow can't suspend my disbelief. That isn't the problem here, and really there never was. Thank though for your suggestion.

Also, for the most part, I expect things to go pretty quickly in a world with magic and those is extraordinary or supernatural abilities. Where you have the ability to stop time, or move it extraordinary speeds. Yeah I'm sorry but that's not the issue at all.

Reconcile Edited: Thomaslee on 27th Jul, 2018 - 12:49am

Post Date: 27th Jul, 2018 - 12:36am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support Archive Pathfinder / D&D

Not to date myself too much, but I actually had a set of Chainmail as my first Role-playing Game. It's been stop and go over the years, but so many systems and campaigns with great memories.

27th Jul, 2018 - 3:35am / Post ID: #
Tazskan Daardendrien
Dragonborn Lvl 10 Warl...
Character
Follower / Middle Front
Character Sheet Lock
Rival Has a Rival
Genealogy Ancestral Line
Base Has a Home Base

Page 853 Support QampA Rules Dragons and Dungeons Daishains

The Protector. says...

I could certainly, understand how perplexing time is in a play by post game.
Where real time, takes a lot longer than actual game time.

Less than a couple of weeks, I'm playing a high Elf, Fighter, magic user 4th level. In a table-top version of Dungeons & Dragons 1st edition.

With a small group of guy's, will let you know how it compares, time-wise with the play-by post system.
Should be interesting!

Reconcile Edited: anronrosby on 27th Jul, 2018 - 3:37am

Post Date: 27th Jul, 2018 - 4:25am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Support QampA Rules Dragons and Dungeons e Daishains

Rather off topic, but...
I might PM at least parts of this, but that would require me donating more money than I already have here and I'm not prepared to do that currently. Always happy to talk via private email, though.

Daishain, I totally get the need to streamline your posts and the overall effort in writing them, as you put a lot of time into this and it is appreciate. I think/hope I've told you that before.

I agree that "I need to figure out the exact AC and go do some GWM odds math" is meta-gamey in a lot of ways and that the focus is more on the in-character knowledge. This includes "Wow this elf dodges even strikes I thought would strike true!" and "Wow I just hit this guys armor really hard and didn't make a dent!" as informing the character that they may need to adjust their tactics. Out of Character: this probably translates more to "The AC is closer to the 16 or so range" vs "Wow the AC must be over 20 and my character may call upon an ally to help them with a flank or a buff or a debuff" etc.

What I don't think is overly meta-gamey about it, however, are a couple of things. One, at a live table, you'd be finding out if each roll hit or not, so when the Dungeon Master says you hit on a 17 and tells the guy next to you that he missed on a 16, you know the AC relatively quickly depending on the dice roll array in the first couple of rounds. Also, while having a 'damage meter' is totally ridiculous and not what Dungeons & Dragons is all about, players do like to know if their character is contributing or not in general. This could be for Out of Character: reasons such as they like contributing to the group effort of tackling the various challenges of the game, or in character role play of how the character feels about their own efforts or their opinion on the party's tactics. Perhaps they are boastful after a fight, perhaps they are down on themselves.

Lastly, and to be blunt, I think this particular game is asking for some of us to really try to maximize our character's effectiveness. We welcome quite the spectrum of players from veteran's of 5e to those who are new. As is evident from the recent Q&A, the veterans are willing to spend a lot of energy helping the newer folks. In the meantime, however, many mistakes are made and the veteran player's PC's have to pick up the slack for the party to survive the many deadly encounters (In which we enjoy the challenge, [By The Way]). This could be simply by pouring on the damage, being a party leader, advising on party tactics because they know all of the various class abilities so well, etc. The mistakes include 9th level characters only adding +3 to attacks and 9th level warlocks rolling Hellish Rebuke at 2d10 when it should be 6d10. Those two examples alone, over time, represent a massive difference in our ability to really win any hard/deadly fight, never mind beat Chuth and Neronvain. Both examples above represent 1st level character power levels instead of 9th. The other players that I speak to privately almost daily and I see these errors every single round of every combat, and they are often not minor. We speak up a small percentage of the time. It is thus my opinion that it is implied in this campaign that the veterans, along with the Dungeon Master, need to help the newer players along both Out of Character: and via enhancing their own character effectiveness so the group can live another day. I thus think we have little choice but to really think about odds, analyze the initiative order, and treat fighting Neronvain like chess as we imagine what series of spells, counterspells, buffs and debuffs will finally lead to someone getting the upper hand. You may not agree, and I have more than enough respect for you to be able to live with that and try to keep enjoying the campaign, but I have a strong sense that a handful of long term players in this campaign feel similarly about the implied obligation to squeeze out every drop we can just to keep the party standing so that everyone can keep playing and having fun.

(Note: I do appreciate the time if you read all of this, Daishain!).

Post Date: 27th Jul, 2018 - 4:56am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Thomas, I think that the time seems off just due to the format. This fight could be resolved in probably 30 minutes in a table top game. In a Play By Post format like this the same battle takes a week plus. It makes it feel like more time has passed in game than actually has.

Good job on the fight everyone. Hopefully one of the enemies drops soon. When/if that happens this fight will be well In hand.

Reconcile Edited: Kyrroeth on 27th Jul, 2018 - 5:32am

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
27th Jul, 2018 - 12:20pm / Post ID: #
Tazskan Daardendrien
Dragonborn Lvl 10 Warl...
Character
Follower / Middle Front
Character Sheet Lock
Rival Has a Rival
Genealogy Ancestral Line
Base Has a Home Base

Daishain's 5e D&D Rules Q&A Support - Page 853

The Protector. says...

Unfortunately, the damage done by the rebuke, and fireball only amounted to 30 points. Which, in the scheme of things was quite low. Well, we are all not immune from mistakes are we? Or low die rolls either?

I don't agree, that there are errors every single round of combat either, but sometimes there are low die rolls. Constructive criticism, that isn't condescending is welcome where needed.

Post Date: 27th Jul, 2018 - 1:09pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D Rules Q&A Support D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Page 853

Taz, as a Warlock, all his spells are always cast at the highest level. You can't cast Hellish Rebuke as a first level spell, because all you have are fifth level spell slots. That spell should have done 6d10 damage. That's what Cider is talking about. Your fireball should also have been 10d6.

Reconcile Edited: Gknightbc on 27th Jul, 2018 - 1:18pm

> TOPIC: Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.