Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support - Page 919 of 948

Maybe I'm just dense. I didn't - Page 919 - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 26th Sep, 2018 - 3:51am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

28th September 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Ranger
Ranger
Wizard
Wizard
Rogue
Rogue
Cleric
Cleric
Draconian
Draconian
Warlock
Warlock
Paladin
Paladin
Fighter
Fighter
Barbarian
Barbarian

+  « First of 948 pgs.  915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923  ...Latest (948) »
Closed
Daishain’s 5th Edition D&D RPG Main Thread Dungeons and Dragons
This RPG is CLOSED GM Stats
Post Date: 26th Sep, 2018 - 1:08am / Post ID: #

Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support
A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support - Page 919

I’ve not had enough time to finish it off, but I’ve got about 70% of the solution in my head. Just going to need paper and pencil for the last bit, when the stacks of four coins don’t equal in the first measure.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 26th Sep, 2018 - 3:12am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Support QampA Rules Dragons and Dungeons e Daishains

12 coins with a scale you get three tries. I think I remember how this works.

Six coins on each side the fake one is lighter thus the six real coins will weigh more so those six are real. Next weigh is three coins per side once again the three real ones weigh more so you have three left. Place two of the three on the scale If the scale is even both are real and last coin is the real one if one side weighs more the fake one is the lighter coin. Three tries of weight one coin found.

Post Date: 26th Sep, 2018 - 3:18am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support Archive Pathfinder / D&D

The problem with that is the riddle did not specifically say the fake was lighter or heavier… that's what throwing me off.

Post Date: 26th Sep, 2018 - 3:20am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 919 Support QampA Rules Dragons and Dungeons e Daishains

Yeah if it is heavier the way still works. Just have to know which one it is heavier or lighter.

Post Date: 26th Sep, 2018 - 3:25am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Support QampA Rules Dragons and Dungeons e Daishains

I think KN has it. The riddle revolves around weight since the only tool is the scale. Without the false one weighing differently there would be no way to pick it out since it's appearance is the same. That's my opinion anyways.

Reconcile Edited: Kyrroeth on 26th Sep, 2018 - 3:26am

Post Date: 26th Sep, 2018 - 3:38am / Post ID: #

A Friend

No, Paul is right. As Velon hinted at in his rambling internal monologue, not knowing if the false coin is heavier or lighter makes it much more complex. Instead of distilling down to a group of 3 for the final weigh as KN suggested, which would work if we knew heavier vs lighter, you have to distill it down to two coins by the second weigh in such that the third weigh in can be against a neutral coin you have already determine is just the normal weight. The complexity is in weigh in number 2 after starting with three piles of four. KN’s logic for his final weigh in CAN be applied to the first weigh in, in that you can learn something about the third pile despite it not being on the scale.

I don’t think Velon would be able to get over this hurdle, however, so I posted him being stuck right about where KN is at.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 26th Sep, 2018 - 3:49am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D Rules Q&A Support - Page 919

Dai, Conder/velon was right about the second riddle, however. I’m still one question short in the last scenario. Want to retcon?

Reconcile Edited: Gknightbc on 26th Sep, 2018 - 4:00am

Post Date: 26th Sep, 2018 - 3:51am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D Rules Q&A Support D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Page 919

Maybe I'm just dense. I didn't think of that aspect of it. I have no idea how to come up with the answer. Not without knowing if it is heavier it lighter. The second weigh in is the problem. Following Kn's method would get you to a 50/50 guess basically. Good luck with this one *smile*.

> TOPIC: Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.